Kenevo wpenized — and fully matted out

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Black is beautiful and so my choice in Kenevo - it was always going to be matted out black. Also never liked derailleurs that much and so my choice there - Rohloff. I put one in one of my first e-bikes and it was fantastic despite having more gears than needed. Difficult to get one of those installed any time soon. Or so I thought.

So I checked out some options & called a few shops. Only a few medium black Kenevo’s left in the country and an enticing discount! That made it a bit more tantalising. I called another shop, same story but I asked if they knew about any IGH’s - internally geared hubs — that I could install, expecting maybe Shimano Nexus or Alfine. Not expecting the answer — that Paul, the Rohloff Australia distributor and engineer, had just left the store.

Long story short - 2 weeks later I have a matte black Kenevo with Rohloff 14 speed Speedhub ready to ride. Matte black skin from Ride Wrap and Rohloff installed by the Specialized shop - Just Ride in Nerang QLD - the Gold Coast for those outside of Australia.

What was really special was that I had the bike delivered with major modifications & upgrades from the shop in about 2 weeks, no searching for the right choice of Rohloff parts — there are so many options & combinations now. No question about the warranty — it’s officially sanctioned. I mentioned that I’d use Blevo without altering the speed limit — no problem. Strange though — on having a look at Blevo, the speed limit is 28.8 km/h as default. I thought it was supposed to be 25 km/h? No problem, I’ll gladly take the extra 3.8 km/h.

The Rohloff feels instinctively right on the Kenevo. Flick through 10 gears in an instant — after a while the right selection becomes second nature. No need to pedal to shift, in fact it’s the opposite, flick through every gear while stationary & in motion, a slight pause on the pedals while shifting ensures a smooth shift every time. Having a chain tensioner instead of a derailleur, it’s not quite as vulnerable to being crunched but number 1 above all, it’s maintenance free apart from a yearly oil change. It’s great to have a Rohloff again.

Even though the Rohloff adds 1 kg net weight & adds significantly to the price tag of what’s already premium, it makes the Kenevo, one of the best bikes I’ve had the pleasure of riding, even better. I’ll post some video when I get a chance.

IMG_2489.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg
IMG_2494.jpg

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Black is beautiful and so my choice in Kenevo - it was always going to be matted out black. Also never liked derailleurs that much and so my choice there - Rohloff. I put one in one of my first e-bikes and it was fantastic despite having more gears than needed. Difficult to get one of those installed any time soon. Or so I thought.

So I checked out some options & called a few shops. Only a few medium black Kenevo’s left in the country and an enticing discount! That made it a bit more tantalising. I called another shop, same story but I asked if they knew about any IGH’s - internally geared hubs — that I could install, expecting maybe Shimano Nexus or Alfine. Not expecting the answer — that Paul, the Rohloff Australia distributor and engineer, had just left the store.

Long story short - 2 weeks later I have a matte black Kenevo with Rohloff 14 speed Speedhub ready to ride. Matte black skin from Ride Wrap and Rohloff installed by the Specialized shop - Just Ride in Nerang QLD - the Gold Coast for those outside of Australia.

What was really special was that I had the bike delivered with major modifications & upgrades from the shop in about 2 weeks, no searching for the right choice of Rohloff parts — there are so many options & combinations now. No question about the warranty — it’s officially sanctioned. I mentioned that I’d use Blevo without altering the speed limit — no problem. Strange though — on having a look at Blevo, the speed limit is 28.8 km/h as default. I thought it was supposed to be 25 km/h? No problem, I’ll gladly take the extra 3.8 km/h.

The Rohloff feels instinctively right on the Kenevo. Flick through 10 gears in an instant — after a while the right selection becomes second nature. No need to pedal to shift, in fact it’s the opposite, flick through every gear while stationary & in motion, a slight pause on the pedals while shifting ensures a smooth shift every time. Having a chain tensioner instead of a derailleur, it’s not quite as vulnerable to being crunched but number 1 above all, it’s maintenance free apart from a yearly oil change. It’s great to have a Rohloff again.

Even though the Rohloff adds 1 kg net weight & adds significantly to the price tag of what’s already premium, it makes the Kenevo, one of the best bikes I’ve had the pleasure of riding, even better. I’ll post some video when I get a chance.

View attachment 17122 View attachment 17123 View attachment 17124 View attachment 17125
Sweet build for sure - Out of curiosity can you get the same setup with an ordinary type of gear shifter?

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks a lot but WOW, it adds another £300 to the bill!
It's not plastic you know ! :)

I think 99% of the population has £300 set as their maximum budget to buy a whole bike. It's a bit crazy that for some reason all bike parts are made out of aluminium coated gold or diamond.

@wepn Looks amazing ! Shouldn't you have Roo bars on the front of that thing ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
You must get the little yellow discs that fit in the caliper for the mt5's, same as they fit to the mt7's. That would look ace.
EDIT wow them cranks are low to the floor in that pic, no wonder people say they get pedal strikes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
wow them cranks are low to the floor in that pic, no wonder people say they get pedal strikes.

Just measured mine last night, out of the box, stock cranks, no adjustments made. 140mm from the underside of the pedal to the ground. (very low air pressure in tyres - so should re-measure this afternoon)

EDIT !! with about 27psi rear and 24 psi front (ish) ground to bottom of pedal is now 170mm straight out of the box with no adjustments.

My e8000 hardtail, which I've had pedal strike issues with, measures at 130mm to the ground - with 150mm cranks on ! :)

Have 140's on order for the Kenevo as presumably that BB will drop once you're on it (though it would on the HT aswell)

Last edited:

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Very nice I do like the idea but the cost/weight is signifcant & I'd really not want a gripshift changer (but that's me). Have fun!

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
Wepn… glad to hear you're enjoying your new Kenevo. I helped the guys at JustRide (Specialized) with fitting your Rohloff and it all went very well - they did a great job. Btw, there is a downhill chain tensioner which tucks up closer again to the rear stay, but it is fixed and you need to take it off each time you remove the rear wheel (see the photo below - I run the Rohloff "DH" tensioner). Love to come out for a ride with you and take some photos for the Rohloff Australia website and Facebook page. Lots of interest with the eMtb Rohloff conversions - 1,400kms on my Levo now and not an issue, sprockets good as new with 2.5mm chain stretch to date. Cheers Paul (Rohloff Australia).

Sunshine Series XCO Mt Crosby - the Specialized Rohloff Turbo Levo after the race 11Aug19r4.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Wepn… glad to hear you're enjoying your new Kenevo. I helped the guys at JustRide (Specialized) with fitting your Rohloff and it all went very well - they did a great job. Btw, there is a downhill chain tensioner which tucks up closer again to the rear stay, but it is fixed and you need to take it off each time you remove the rear wheel (see the photo below - I run the Rohloff "DH" tensioner). Love to come out for a ride with you and take some photos for the Rohloff Australia website and Facebook page. Lots of interest with the eMtb Rohloff conversions - 1,400kms on my Levo now and not an issue, sprockets good as new with 2.5mm chain stretch to date. Cheers Paul (Rohloff Australia).

View attachment 17439

Hi Paul - first let me thank you and all the people at Just Ride. Really impressive how it all came together so quickly and seamlessly. The DH tensioner looks like it’s worth the bit of extra work when removing the wheel. I’ve not had any pedal strikes but was told & read about putting on shorter cranks. I have 140’s on atm. They feel hamster like so will try 155’s. First few gears are redundant so I think the 13T sprocket will fix that, possibly also a 36T chainwheel.

What a great bike & definitely look forward to some rides - I’ll send you my contact details. Not a lot of downhill but pothole capital of the world here…Kenevo & Rohloff are a safety requirement! Actually there are some jaw dropping places to ride but Nerang looks totally fantastic.

@thebarber I can tell you if you have experienced professionals doing the install, there is no trial no error. It is precise & proven, engineered to survive whatever you throw at it.

moRoY3Xg.jpeg

tnkLBwYQ.jpeg

yyQUVd5w.jpeg

1F1LC87Q.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I'd love one .. think it's a great way to go, I seem to have a phenomenal ability to use the derailleur as a miniature trail clearing device. Alas, for me having just bought a Kenevo, The Mrs would make my Error very clear to me, repeatedly - for all of eternity, and there would be no Trial or defence.

Zim I think it could be useful to discuss the trail safety implications with the missus lol & if u get the look, well you know...forget it

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Some explosive pedal input this afternoon. Higher heart rate & burning more calories in Turbo mode! Must be all the adrenaline - and my twitchy Turbo finger. Interesting that I lost over 100W from my Biker power max with the super short cranks

IMG_2501.PNG

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
thebarber… just interested, what with the Rohloff did you feel would be a bit of trial and error? Cheers Paul.
From memory, 148 boost , disk brake setup and which tensioner, shifting mech.
Also warranty for e-bike.
I'd still like this setup, just need justify it and if it was available local, that'd be a clincher.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Hi Paul - first let me thank you and all the people at Just Ride. Really impressive how it all came together so quickly and seamlessly. The DH tensioner looks like it’s worth the bit of extra work when removing the wheel. I’ve not had any pedal strikes but was told & read about putting on shorter cranks. I have 140’s on atm. They feel hamster like so will try 155’s. First few gears are redundant so I think the 13T sprocket will fix that, possibly also a 36T chainwheel.

What a great bike & definitely look forward to some rides - I’ll send you my contact details. Not a lot of downhill but pothole capital of the world here…Kenevo & Rohloff are a safety requirement! Actually there are some jaw dropping places to ride but Nerang looks totally fantastic.

@thebarber I can tell you if you have experienced professionals doing the install, there is no trial no error. It is precise & proven, engineered to survive whatever you throw at it.

View attachment 17443
View attachment 17444
View attachment 17445
View attachment 17446
I don't have a dealer near me to pick their brains about it but wanted to try it for years

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Went to Nerang National Park for a ride today with Paul from Rohloff Australia. Paul was pivotal in the Kenevo Speedhub conversion - more like a surgical procedure - except the pain is pleasurable…and I felt it today.

Around 15 km of it, dusty, rocky, steep, technical, addictive pain. I didn’t need technology to tell me I was close to max & short on calories. After a few medium sketch rocky sections, it smoothed out to flowing downhill singletrack. That was the best part.

For me & I suspect many, that would’ve all been impossible to ride on an analogue bike. Not even with a Kenevo can I pretend to be young & super fit. But Paul, whose birthday it was today & a few years older than me, well let’s just say wow - the red & blue flash in the pic below in case that needs explaining.

But wow the Kenevo with Speedhub too. Many pedal strikes, no stack, such a forgiving bike. I had put 140 mm cranks on but reverted to stock until I get 155’s. Also need to dial in the suspension and reinforce emtb specific pedal strike avoidance techniques. Riding with more experienced riders with local knowledge like Paul makes all the difference.

dusty.jpg
flash.jpg

paulmoir

Apr 8, 2019
Gold Coast, Qld Australia
From memory, 148 boost , disk brake setup and which tensioner, shifting mech.
Also warranty for e-bike.
I'd still like this setup, just need justify it and if it was available local, that'd be a clincher.

Sorry... only just saw this one. The 148mm boost is no issue as Rohloff now has their A12 (12mm thru-axle) version available in 142, 148, 177 and 197mm O.L.D. (inside-inside of dropout) and 32 and 36 hole versions. Disc brake setup is also no issue with various new brackets designed for the 12mm thru-axle and boost versions.

Tensioners are Rohloff and are pretty well bullet-proof too... been running these for 15 years now and we sell the Rohloff chain tensioners to many non-Rohloff owners (they have a very good reputation for downhill).

In general, warranty is not compromised unless you actually modify the frame or an OEM component on the bike, and whilst I did a minor frame modification (faced the inside of a dropout), this can be done by modifying the Rohloff axle plate. I have had a warranty issue with the motor and I needed to take some photos and was told not to worry about capturing the Rohloff in the photo as that will not affect the warranty. Basically you are switching out the derailleur system for the Rohloff - that's been done for 20+ years with mtbs.

Can your local bike shop do this... by the feedback I've had globally, many bike shops do not want to do it and say it cannot be done. It can be done obviously and typically these bike shops either cannot be bothered or it's just too difficult - so they say no.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles