Kenevo - The crank is slipping when bike is peddled?

Botts101

Patreon
Jun 26, 2018
Carlsbad, California
Hi,

My buddy has a Kenevo that feels as if it slips inside motor when peddled. You can drag the front brake hard (power is OFF) and feel a definitive slip inside the motor area. The chain wheel is fine, checked spline, checked hub body.

Feels like a belt slip inside motor?

Anyone?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Not sure I have understood you correctly, the Kenevo should disengage the motor when the power is off so it may feel like it's slipping.

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
Mine started doing the same thing tonight... It must have some kind of one way clutch. It probably just needs adjusting.

When I put the power down hard, the crank arms slip, not giving you 100% drive.

Did you get this sorted?

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
Just though i should say less than two weeks after having a new motor fitted the new motor is slipping in exactly the same manner.. drive is slipping when power is put through the cranks.

It seems its a simple sprag clutch that Brose use. It should be able to carry a very high torque load. or last more than a few weeks anyway.
Vado11.png

Last edited:

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
No the cassette had chewed the drive splines on the freehub body. So the cassette was slipping giving the exact same symptoms.

I just jumped to the conclusion it was the motor after having one fail a week ago. But as the internet is full of horror stories I thought I should set the record straight with this particular issue.

The freehub body in question was a mavic xd driver from my commuter wheels.

Dlite

Dec 6, 2018
San Diego
Did you ever get anything warrantied on this? I'm having crank slippage. Its not the cassette. I've tried 2 different wheel sets with 2 different hubs and cassettes. Its a silent slippage not grinding. Same thing, when I really put the hammer down, it gives. Hoping its not a warranty issue and maybe somebody knows of a quick fix...

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
So 6 months down the line and my motor has gone again.. same issue crank arms slipping round with no drive.... I have been eating a lot of spinach lately tho.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The motor drives the crank via the toothed belt...not the other way around, so any slipping is not due to the belt slipping. The complete drivetrain consists of the crank grip on the crankshaft, the sprag clutch driving the chainwheel....then of course the chain cassette and rear freehub. So as far as the motor itself is concerned a worn sprag clutch is a possibility, but there are several other components to check beyond the motor. As the video above demonstrates, a sprag bearing could be affected by debris or wear.

Batbuilder

Jan 10, 2020
Anglezarke
I thought that I would update this as the same thing happened to me , intermittent slippage on the crank when going up hills on my 2017 levo. The bike is long out of warranty so I thought I would investigate. The killer is of course water ingress. It has got into the pawls on the sprag clutch and also started to wear the other bearings. I got the motor apart as far as I could and then sent it to performancelinebearings.com for them to fix it. It will need a few bearings replacing and they have them in stock. It seems to me the seal on the non crank side is particularly poor, as it relies on just the stainless steel bearing shield for protection, hence water can easily get in if there are deep puddles. When I get it back I wont be going out in the rain... IMG_0351.JPG

Batbuilder

Jan 10, 2020
Anglezarke
An update, I sent the motor to Performanceline Bearings. Within 10 days it is back on the bike and all working perfectly. I would definitely recommend them. It required a lot of replacement parts which were all in stock. Not sure if I am going to keep the bike as it rains a lot here and I dont want to be restricted to a few summer days to ride it.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
An update, I sent the motor to Performanceline Bearings. Within 10 days it is back on the bike and all working perfectly. I would definitely recommend them. It required a lot of replacement parts which were all in stock. Not sure if I am going to keep the bike as it rains a lot here and I dont want to be restricted to a few summer days to ride it.
Mine slipping today 488 miles still under warranty . Just read your bit I would have been tempted to go to performance bearings . 2nd motor losing faith

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles