Kenevo: Save money on used expert or buy new comp??

Codisinc

Nov 17, 2019
California
What would you do?

I currently can get a '19 Kenevo Comp brand new from a local shop for about $5000 (usd) out the door. This shop is also extending the warranty to 10 years motor and 5 years battery, plus free tuneups (although I don't recall if there is a time limit on the free tuneups, maybe first two years or something).

I also have a friend of a friend selling a '19 Kenevo Expert for $3500 that has a substantial amount of upgrades, easily $3k+ in upgrades. It only has about 350miles on it and battery health is at 100%.

If it weren't for the possible motor failure issues I probably would have bought the used one already. Is this something I should be concerned about? Are the motor failure issues as prevalent on the '19 kenevo 1.3 motors?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I currently can get a '19 Kenevo Comp brand new from a local shop for about $5000 (usd) out the door.

This doesn't sound that cheap based on some euro offers, but then markets are different, so that might be good.

This shop is also extending the warranty to 10 years motor and 5 years battery,

Sounds almost too good to be true... is that just for the first owner, so they're assuming you'll change it in two years anyway, so the offer won't be valid ? (I sound cynical !! :) )

The expert sounds nice .. even more so if you like the upgrades.

For battery health, if people are using "mission control" - this generally says 100% no matter what and is a bit miss leading. To get a more realistic idea of battery health, use blevo or egenesis, both of which should give you the actual capacity. Though don't be put off by a few % drop off, that's normal - and won't make any realistic difference to overall range.

Motor failures do happen, but it's very difficult to work out exactly what %. In the scheme of things, it's pretty small. The "comp" has the 1.2 motor, so slightly less torque than the "expert", with the 1.3 motor.

The expert must have at least a year warranty left also. Keep in mind that if you do have a motor failure outside of warranty, spesh do normally subsidise the cost of replacement, there is a chart somewhere on their site which specify's some of this information though I can't remember where it is at the moment.

Maybe @Al Boneta can give you some more "factual" advice :)

Codisinc

Nov 17, 2019
California
This doesn't sound that cheap based on some euro offers, but then markets are different, so that might be good.
Well, it's $4500 plus tax. Current map pricing is $4700. The lowest I've found was an out of state shop for $4250, but after shipping then paying a shop to build it, it's around $4600.

The expert must have at least a year warranty left also. Keep in mind that if you do have a motor failure outside of warranty, spesh do normally subsidise the cost of replacement, there is a chart somewhere on their site which specify's some of this information though I can't remember where it is at the moment.
Would this apply if I don't have the original purchase receipt? I do know they'll transfer warranty with the purchase receipt. Are they honoring motor replacements regardless if it's still within the two years roughly?

I appreciate all the info, thanks!

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I would go for the 10 year warranty bike.
Although I would like to know how a shop would be able to acquire a Brose 1.3 motor 10 years from now.
My shop in Orange County is blowing out Comps for $4200. @Codisinc

Last edited:

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@Codisinc ignoring all the warranty and advantages and disadvantages of new versus used I would go for the 2020 Kenevo. I’ve had the the original Expert and the now have the new 2020 version and it’s a huge improvement in every way. The geometry is a massive improvement, the motor smoother and more powerful and the way it rides is in another league. The original was, and still is, a fantastic bike. The new one, well it’s even more fantastic! Go for the 2020 and you won’t be disappointed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles