Kenevo max chainring

Goodey

Jul 29, 2018
UK
Hi all.

Looking at my kenevo it looks fairly close with a 32 tooth chainring to the swingarm. I understand that a 34t will fit but my question is will a 36t fit?

Cheers

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Hi all.

Looking at my kenevo it looks fairly close with a 32 tooth chainring to the swingarm. I understand that a 34t will fit but my question is will a 36t fit?

Cheers
I’ve just put a 36t on my levo and it’s the max you can go really. The chain guide still works perfectly. A tip when you do upgrade don’t remove the chain guide completely just loosen enough to get the chain ring over the spider. It’s made a big difference I’m not out pedalling as much on fast down hill sections I’m glad I swapped over
Hope this helps

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Am also thinking of 36t on the Levo. Being lazy, anyone think that the hope retainer with integrated bash would fit?

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
I don't know if there is a dedicated thread or if anybody is still watching this but I would like to up-size my chain ring to a 36T and I have 3 questions.
1. Did you need to put extra links in the chain or will the original fit?
2. What options are out there?
3. If a new chain is not needed, are you still able to use the lowest gears?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Note I don't have a Kenevo and so haven't tried changing the chainring on one!

But if you're going from a 32T to a 36T (4 tooth increase) then the chain goes around half the chainring (so half that is a 2 tooth increase) so if you want to keep the chain & derailleur tension the same you should need to add 2 extra links (which is the minimum change you can make to a chain).

But it may work with the existing chain still … try fitting the new chainring and then test it by hand if the chain will fit around the new chainring and the largest rear cog. You might find it just won't fit or the rear derailleur is too stretched out.

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
I put a new 36T ring on my Levo a couple weeks ago, no new chain and didn't even have to take the cranks off and pull the spider. Can use all gears, still out peddling but way better. Had to use new nuts and bolts which were a bit tricky tightening them as limited space behind the ring.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
I put a new 36T ring on my Levo a couple weeks ago, no new chain and didn't even have to take the cranks off and pull the spider. Can use all gears, still out peddling but way better. Had to use new nuts and bolts which were a bit tricky tightening them as limited space behind the ring.
Yep, same as me!?

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I had a look at specifications and couldn't find the measurement between the bolts i.e. what size 36T to buy. Which ones did you guys fit?

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
I have looked everywhere and cannot find the Praxis Works chain ring in tock. I'm guessing any 104mm 36T chain ring will fit? SRAM Eagle or Renthal for instance?

Melv

Sep 11, 2018
Bucks
Hi I would say yes 104Bcd is the diameter of the bolt holes. I only picked the praxis one because another member did.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Installed this one and bike so much better.
Wolf Tooth 36T Chainring suddenly I am using a lot of the gear range and bike is gets up to reasonable speed at my comfortable cadence. It will never be a road bike though, but thats not the point. It is a lot more usable on paved flat trails on your way to the fun stuff. (y)

Yann smith

Sep 21, 2018
England
Has anyone managed to fit a 36T chainring to a Kenevo? I’m after changing my stock 32T but that’s already fairly close to chainstays.

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Has anyone managed to fit a 36T chainring to a Kenevo? I’m after changing my stock 32T but that’s already fairly close to chainstays.
20180921_143749.jpg
20180921_143805.jpg
20180921_143917.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a 36t ring won't cause any more stress unless you decide to climb properly steep stuff in 36/11. using a far smaller chain ring would create higher torque though but that's a whole other discussion.

TL:DR it'll be fine

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
a 36t ring won't cause any more stress unless you decide to climb properly steep stuff in 36/11. using a far smaller chain ring would create higher torque though but that's a whole other discussion.

TL:DR it'll be fine

No free lunch. Its a trade off. A little more speed and a little less torque. Did I notice or miss the torque? Not really and I doubt I will. Did I notice the speed? Yes. If you are climbing steep technical terrain maybe you'll notice the lost torque, but this bike climbs even super steep hills almost like they don't exist. I figured maybe I am now required to really compensate with my legs for what I lost. Nothing a healthy rider can't do. I ran up a hill in eco mode at ( 35% assist/ 100% Peak Power ) that other cyclists on normal bikes were being forced to dismount. I suppose putting it in trail or Turbo would have gotten me up the hill with lower and no effort at all, so thats one comparison you can use. I did have to shift into the lowest cog to get up to the top, but hope that gives you an idea of how much torque we are talking about here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but hope that gives you an idea of how much torque we are talking about here.
Absolutely no idea.
I don't know you, how fit/strong/light/heavy you are or the hill you're talking about or the other cyclists you PWNd.

But cool story all the same. :cool: silly normal bike riders, eh? What were they thinking ;)

Ps. Good quality 104BCD NW rings are available for around a fiver on Ebay/AliExpress (if you're not in a huge hurry for it to be delivered).

c4s2rs6

May 3, 2018
Aberdeen
Hi. Installed a Hope 36T 104 Retainer Ring on an ‘ 18 medium Kenevo today. No clearance at all without sag on suspension. So close that it’s probably down to manufacturing variation/ tolerances between brands of chainring and differences in bike bearings. I carefully filed about 0.5mm off each tooth to get a bit of clearance with no sag. Fine with sag on bike. Presume my Mcgyver approach won’t effect the chain retention much.

5.jpg
8.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
7.jpg

I also had to file the chain ring retaining nut a bit to shorten to get it to hold the ring. The steel 32T ring is threaded but replacement was not.

Used tape to sick the nut on the back of the ring as others have described. Had the proper tool to lock into the back of the nut in the tight space which helped.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Absolutely no idea.
I don't know you, how fit/strong/light/heavy you are or the hill you're talking about or the other cyclists you PWNd.

But cool story all the same. :cool: silly normal bike riders, eh? What were they thinking ;)

Ps. Good quality 104BCD NW rings are available for around a fiver on Ebay/AliExpress (if you're not in a huge hurry for it to be delivered).
Not very fit sad to say. And 210 lbs naked is a bit heavy also. The hill was plenty steep. Enough the riders in their spandex bike shorts had to dismount. I can't hardly comfortably get into those shorts even the XXL variety. That paint a picture for you? :p

Nothing silly about normal biker riders at least they can dismount and walk and get back and still fly on there where I might just about died after tackling one of those hills. I sorta needed the motor and there is nothing wrong with using a little help.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Hi. Installed a Hope 36T 104 Retainer Ring on an ‘ 18 medium Kenevo today. No clearance at all without sag on suspension. So close that it’s probably down to manufacturing variation/ tolerances between brands of chainring and differences in bike bearings. I carefully filed about 0.5mm off each tooth to get a bit of clearance with no sag. Fine with sag on bike. Presume my Mcgyver approach won’t effect the chain retention much.

View attachment 6107 View attachment 6108 View attachment 6110 View attachment 6111 View attachment 6105 View attachment 6106

I also had to file the chain ring retaining nut a bit to shorten to get it to hold the ring. The steel 32T ring is threaded but replacement was not.

Used tape to sick the nut on the back of the ring as others have described. Had the proper tool to lock into the back of the nut in the tight space which helped.
Holly cow thats close! The Wolf Tooth 36T has a comfortable fit on the 2018 Levo, the limiting factor being mainly the chain guide is now at almost its absolute maximum height where you can't go any larger.

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
I fitted a Renthal 36T to my Large Kenevo and it's snug but fits. Maybe this could be down to the bike size rather than the chain rings? I'm not sure if they would differ that much for every manufacturer.
20181006_123341.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles