Kenevo Comp Rear Shock

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Hi just purchased the above bike, finding the rear shock a bit weak I’m not the lightest of people 103kg.
Can anybody recommend a replacement spring that will be more suited to my weight.

Links to any websites would be great

cheers

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

Is 103KG your riding weight, with pack etc? If so, you need a spring of 600lbs to 650lbs depending on how much sag you want.

1582981775096.png

Dec 11, 2018
Sheffield,UK
Phone TF Tuned up and ask them because I bought my Kenevo comp XL and it came with a 550lb spring on it (FOX Van Rc Coil) that was way too soft as I am the same weight as you
I went for a 700lb spring which I bought from the TF Tuned website and the correct one for the Shock but it turned out to be too long even though it was a Fox 2.8 same as the one already on it .I phoned them up and they said that that shock will only take up to 550lb springs in the Fox range and I needed to buy an Ohlins shock as they are shorter than any other

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Old kenevo or new ? Makes a difference. At about 100kg the 650lb on my van doesn't sag enough. The max spring length can be about 6.1". I'm trying to get a 600 x2.5 as the 2.8 is too long.

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
You need a 600lbs spring
FWIW, I've got about 10 pounds on you, and couldn't get enough compression to stop the thing from racing to bottom.
It also managed to eject the shaft(must've broke the clip that holds it it). The shaft also got bent, but I imagine that was a result of it forcibly removing itself, as opposed to bending, then ejecting. I'm not gonna even bother with repairing it. Just going straight to a DHX2(with a temporary stop with an X2 while I'm waiting for the Fox coil to show up).
I've found nothing redeemable with either Marzocchi(read: CHEAP Fox) pieces on the bike.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
Sheffield,UK
Old kenevo or new ? Makes a difference. At about 100kg the 650lb on my van doesn't sag enough. The max spring length can be about 6.1". I'm trying to get a 600 x2.5 as the 2.8 is too long.
I meant spring when I said I got an Ohlins shock
This was for a 2019 Comp
So the Ohlins spring is a lot shorter then the fox
So it goes nicely on the Van RC and it’s Yellow which is a bonus I like

Dec 11, 2018
Sheffield,UK
Thank you everybody for you help really is appreciate.

Does anybody know if one of these will fit

Fox Racing Shox Steel Rear Shock Springs | Tredz Bikes

Thank you
Because of the 57mm stroke of the shock and the eye to eye length the only brand I found that will fit on Springs over 550lb is the Ohlins ones as they are physically shorter.This one you will not be able to put the end cap on without having to use a spring compression tool ,which then you may not be able to set your sag correctly

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Because of the 57mm stroke of the shock and the eye to eye length the only brand I found that will fit on Springs over 550lb is the Ohlins ones as they are physically shorter.This one you will not be able to put the end cap on without having to use a spring compression tool ,which then you may not be able to set your sag correctly
Thank you for your help,

Would one of these fit, if so which one would you recommend

Ohlins Racing Stumpjumper Spring | Tredz Bikes

Thank you

Dec 11, 2018
Sheffield,UK
Thank you for your help,

Thank you
Phone TF Tuned Up they will advise you the best weight spring for you and your riding style and send you the correct one and yes it’s £95 ( Ohlins one , don’t know if there is a cheaper alternative)but you are paying for the spring and the correct information and a spring that will guaranteed fit and a warranty ( and no I’m not on commission )

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Thank you for your help,

Thank you
20 Kenevo? The OE Marz shock is simply a Fox Van. You have 62.5mm of stroke(shimmed down from 65mm) which translates to 2.4" of stroke. You therefore want a spring that has NO LESS than 2.4" of stroke, but you can go with a little more, cuz you've got the room on the shock body.
I was running a 2.8" stroke spring on my Marz before I broke it, so, yeah. You'll be fine.
FWIW, if you're in SoCal, you're welcome to my spring. I've switched to a DHX2 and an SLS spring.
If you are local and want it, just PM me

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
20 Kenevo? The OE Marz shock is simply a Fox Van. You have 62.5mm of stroke(shimmed down from 65mm) which translates to 2.4" of stroke. You therefore want a spring that has NO LESS than 2.4" of stroke, but you can go with a little more, cuz you've got the room on the shock body.
I was running a 2.8" stroke spring on my Marz before I broke it, so, yeah. You'll be fine.
FWIW, if you're in SoCal, you're welcome to my spring. I've switched to a DHX2 and an SLS spring.
If you are local and want it, just PM me
Thank you very much for the offer, but I’m in the UK a little to far

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Been in touch with TF Tuned they’ve recommended Fox Steel Spring 650x2.8”

Thank you everybody for your help, just hope now it’s easy to fit

Girdermonkey

Jul 13, 2019
Hereford
Phone TF Tuned up and ask them because I bought my Kenevo comp XL and it came with a 550lb spring on it (FOX Van Rc Coil) that was way too soft as I am the same weight as you
I went for a 700lb spring which I bought from the TF Tuned website and the correct one for the Shock but it turned out to be too long even though it was a Fox 2.8 same as the one already on it .I phoned them up and they said that that shock will only take up to 550lb springs in the Fox range and I needed to buy an Ohlins shock as they are shorter than any other

I got told the same from them but found a few others had used the cane creek vault with no issues so that's what I got and half the price of an ohlins no issues so far ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
What sag to you get? I recall 19mm or so is 30% on these. I only get 14mm so will drop to a 600 when there is stock in the UK again.

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
What sag to you get? I recall 19mm or so is 30% on these. I only get 14mm so will drop to a 600 when there is stock in the UK again.
Fox is of the opinion it should only take two full turns to get 30% on the correct spring too, which I don't think I've every been able to do .
IMO You know you shouldn't be cranking the living piss outta the preload collar, and conversely you know if you only get one turn, then time to go lighter

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
Buy a used Ohlins TTX on Pinkbike for $250.....well worth it!
Ohlins.. 'If you've got our forks, do NOT ride your bike until we tell you its okay'.
tic toc tic toc...6 weeks later..'Okay, clean the threads on your air side top cap and tighten it back down Don't blame us. Blame the government':p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles