Kenevo comp 2020 shock

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new rear shock for the Kenevo? I have just come back from my morning ride and mine has dumped out its oil. Berkshire cycles are going to get back to me about sorting it out, but given the current situation it may take some time and I don't want to miss out on all the riding I am getting with my son at the moment!
Happy to stay with a coil, but mostly want to know what would be the quickest and easiest swap that people have done.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Does anyone have any recommendations for a new rear shock for the Kenevo? I have just come back from my morning ride and mine has dumped out its oil. Berkshire cycles are going to get back to me about sorting it out, but given the current situation it may take some time and I don't want to miss out on all the riding I am getting with my son at the moment!
Happy to stay with a coil, but mostly want to know what would be the quickest and easiest swap that people have done.

What coil shock did you blow out ?

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Mine did exactly the same last month. It's a known issue so I put it through the Fox warranty process myself to save time going back and forth with the dealer. Pretty straight forward and took about two and half weeks all in. Might be worth holding off on shelling out for an alternative if you can manage that sort of timeframe. If you give them a ring they should be able to give you their current turnaround - 01633 615815 Option 4 then Option 1

Thanks for the advice, am worried about it doing it again as have read of some people going through several shocks. I don't really want to be stranded again, thats the main reason for looking for a different shock. I still need to get it sorted so will give Fox ago if Berkshire cant help me out.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
82B458AB-F513-4D0F-B786-1086C9CA1326.jpeg

Working well so far.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ve done 2 now however they were both from the same batch that came out ie the 2nd was in the shop and they just swapped it .The 2nd one blew and we sent it back to fox for a rebuild (think it’s down the wrong loctite used on the shaft but not 100%) and has been good for a while now . They’re not the best but once you get the right spring and get it dialed for you they’re good enough ! If this one blows I’ll be looking for a different one but happy for now !
ps Bershire should have some in shop anyway or he’s slacking ☺

I’ve done 2 now however they were both from the same batch that came out ie the 2nd was in the shop and they just swapped it .The 2nd one blew and we sent it back to fox for a rebuild (think it’s down the wrong loctite used on the shaft but not 100%) and has been good for a while now . They’re not the best but once you get the right spring and get it dialed for you they’re good enough ! If this one blows I’ll be looking for a different one but happy for now !
ps Bershire should have some in shop anyway or he’s slacking ☺
Thanks for all the info, I didn't have any real complaints with the shock before it blew, but am not keen on having to deal with it going again, hopefully they have sorted them out buy now. I have spoken to Berkshire as that is where I got the bike, but they are all out of stock and not sure how long the warranty will take at the moment. Am waiting to hear back if they can get hold of any other shocks for me to buy in the mean time in case the warranty takes ages, due to the current situation.

Frax

Jun 16, 2020
UK, Reading
Hi guys, reviving this thread as my Bomber coil has also spewed oil everywhere on a ride in the Surrey Hills yesterday.
For those who have been through this before, who is best to contact? I bought my Levo second hand with the coil installed already, and it came from TF Tuned (I have receipts).

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi guys, reviving this thread as my Bomber coil has also spewed oil everywhere on a ride in the Surrey Hills yesterday.
For those who have been through this before, who is best to contact? I bought my Levo second hand with the coil installed already, and it came from TF Tuned (I have receipts).
If you a receipt from TFTuned, contact them

Stormhard

Oct 8, 2019
Uk
After I blew the CR 2x and 1x broke the RS deluxe I now got the Oehlins. The dealer told me it would outlive my bike, lets see

View attachment 39820
How do you like the Ohlins? Is there a significant uplift in performance?

I'm told that the Ohlins uses a steel damper shaft which should be stronger than the aluminium shafts used on almost all other shocks. I've just had an issue with a cracked damper shaft on my CR. Apparently, it is an issue with the design of the rear suspension linkage (use of the yoke) rather than an issue with the shock...

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
It does its job, like the CR or the RS. After riding all three of them I´d dare to claim that choosing the right spring matters 99x more than the brand of the damper.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Do you guys have any updates on Fox or marzocchi shocks? I've got a specialized status and a bunch of people are experiencing issues with them. One person posted a photo of a completely bent and catastrophic failure of the dpx2. And other people are mentioning blown seals on the bomber CR. Wondering if specialized suspension layout is side loading these shocks to a point of failure.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I had a status, similar suspension layout to my kenevo.
Fox say don't fit them.

Yeah bombers leak, dhx2 snap, rockshox superdelux coils crack on the eyelet. My current 2 month old cane creek kitsuma appears to have developed play where the shaft goes into the sealhead. Getting a bit fed up really and wish I bought an ext stoia.
EDIT and all air shocks cavitate and fail within 12 months from my experience over the years.

Last edited:

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
It's kind of hard to believe specialized would have so many designs with bad side load issues or whatever type of loading is causing all those problems. The fox sitew doesn't mention the status, obviously it's an obscure bike. But based on the specs the status yoke is short enough to be okay. But on the other forum a dpx2 bent catastrophically and a bomber blew the seals.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It's kind of hard to believe specialized would have so many designs with bad side load issues or whatever type of loading is causing all those problems. The fox sitew doesn't mention the status, obviously it's an obscure bike. But based on the specs the status yoke is short enough to be okay. But on the other forum a dpx2 bent catastrophically and a bomber blew the seals.

I wonder if the bent one you saw was the older model. Didn't that have an 8.5mm shaft compared to the new one?
Bombers are cheap junk regardless.

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
Picked up a new kenevo expert on Saturday first run air shock knocking can not believe it so disappointing and it was getting worse the more I rode it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles