• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered kenevo Clicking noise from the bottom bracket area

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
My 2018 Kenevo has developed a clicking noise that seems to be coming from where the bottom bracket is located. It happens when going uphill and pedaling. It’s also random but becoming more frequent. I’m suspect that the bottom bracket maybe encased with in the motor? Any guesses?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thought?
Thank you

GG Rover

Dec 5, 2018
SD CA
I changed out my chainring to a 34T, then started noticing some clicking from that area. I found that I really had to tighten the chainring bolts as they wanted to come loose after putting in some miles. I changed my chainring again to 36T, and this time used some blue loctite. This seems to be holding tight now...and only sound down there now is from the chain I think...wiping and lubing every ride seems to keep it pretty quiet...

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
I have a Kenevo and I had similar issue a couple of weeks ago. I’m extremely picky with noises so the day it happened it was driving me insane. First though was cranks, then pedals, next ring. Checked everything but no luck. My last thing was to check the small chain guide. I didn’t notice any rubbing on the bike stand but just to try I moved it a bit up and “Voila” problem solve!!! I guess that when you pedal hard a little bit of flex cranks/ring cause the rubbing and on my case sounded like a click.
I think you should try losing the Allen bolt, move the guide up and give it a try.
Good luck!!

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
I have a Kenevo and I had similar issue a couple of weeks ago. I’m extremely picky with noises so the day it happened it was driving me insane. First though was cranks, then pedals, next ring. Checked everything but no luck. My last thing was to check the small chain guide. I didn’t notice any rubbing on the bike stand but just to try I moved it a bit up and “Voila” problem solve!!! I guess that when you pedal hard a little bit of flex cranks/ring cause the rubbing and on my case sounded like a click.
I think you should try losing the Allen bolt, move the guide up and give it a try.
Good luck!!
Thanks- I hadn’t thought of that !. I’ll give it a try and get back to you.
Fingers crossed

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
Good luck!!
Tried it today and it still continues to creak - sounds like its coming from the left side of the crank .
Appreciate your thoughts , thanks :)

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
I was waiting to hear from you! Too bad I couldn’t solve your issue. I’m assuming that you already have removed the crank and put grease on it! if not I would do left and right as well as pedals.
I heard from others that some times is the plastic covers that creaks but i’ve never had this one....... yet!
I hate noises and it kills me when I can’t figure out where it comes from!!
I hope you will find it, please keep me updated.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
Good luck!!
I had exactly the same symptoms...and that is exactly what it was!

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
My 2018 Kenevo has developed a clicking noise that seems to be coming from where the bottom bracket is located. It happens when going uphill and pedaling. It’s also random but becoming more frequent. I’m suspect that the bottom bracket maybe encased with in the motor? Any guesses?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thought?
Thank you
Hi,

I had a similarly clicking sound. After some checking around the bike I found out that this clicking came from the bolt that fasten the battery to the frame (or battery vs frame). Took the battery out gave it a proper cleaning and put new grease on the bolt. Sound disappeared...

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
My wonderful mechanic fixed it! Here’s what he said:
The foam they put in there did show signs where the motor/frame was flexing and cut through it. The motor mounts seemed not as tight as they should be. Cleaned everything inside replaced the foam with rubber and torqued all the motor mounts.

Bobtech

Dec 13, 2018
Norway
Specializeds intention of using the blue thermal gap pad between the motor and the frame is to better transfer the heat from the motor to the frame (cooling). With rubber instead you will get less cooling and the motor could get hotter than with the thermal gap pad. How ever, the pad is quite thick, the pressure quite low (after mounting) and the internal side of the frame is painted so I am not sure how good the cooling effect really is. If this design was done properly the gap would have been closer and the frame prepped for better heat transfer, so to me I would not worry unless you are using it in a hot environment. But do ask your shop about it before the summer comes.

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
Maybe i can give you some hope as my Kenevo developed a creak sound near the crank. LBS had a play around and could not find the cause suggesting it could be something to do with the internal cabling ???. It has however sorted itself and now I'm creak free thank goodness. Hope you can sort it .

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
Maybe i can give you some hope as my Kenevo developed a creak sound near the crank. LBS had a play around and could not find the cause suggesting it could be something to do with the internal cabling ???. It has however sorted itself and now I'm creak free thank goodness. Hope you can sort it .
We got it sorted!
Here’s what my mechic did- he’s a wizard :)
“The foam they put in there did show signs where the motor/frame was flexing and cut through it. The motor mounts seemed not as tight as they should be. Cleaned everything inside replaced the foam with rubber and torqued all the motor mounts.”

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
I was waiting to hear from you! Too bad I couldn’t solve your issue. I’m assuming that you already have removed the crank and put grease on it! if not I would do left and right as well as pedals.
I heard from others that some times is the plastic covers that creaks but i’ve never had this one....... yet!
I hate noises and it kills me when I can’t figure out where it comes from!!
I hope you will find it, please keep me updated.
My wonderful mechanic fixed it! Here’s what he said:
The foam they put in there did show signs where the motor/frame was flexing and cut through it. The motor mounts seemed not as tight as they should be. Cleaned everything inside replaced the foam with rubber and torqued all the motor m

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Creaking....yes my kenevo started creaking and it turned out to be the frame to seat post connection needed to be greased. Now when the creak comes back a quick removal of the seat post to clean and regrease solves the problem. Did the same on my manual carbon StumpJumper and the frame quieted down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles