EP8 and 730wh battery, looks like a very similar battery set up to the Levo

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 09.45.29.png

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 09.46.09.png

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 09.46.29.png

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Beautiful bike! Design team put together a weapon. Unfortunately 450 is my personal max cs length and closer to 440 is where i want to be. Id like to see companies that spec their own battery somehow make it possible to use the motor brands battery

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Beautiful bike! Design team put together a weapon. Unfortunately 450 is my personal max cs length and closer to 440 is where i want to be. Id like to see companies that spec their own battery somehow make it possible to use the motor brands battery

Very slick design!

I like the setup with the battery completely inside the frame, but it must have created stress points on the frame in the motor area. However, with modern eng’g methods I am sure it’s dealt with.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
but it must have created stress points on the frame in the motor area.
It is quite neat. Similar in a way to the Levo as @R120 says, but maybe more exposed and less frame in that area.

It's curious they say in the video that they didn't want a hole in the frame for the battery as it would weaken things, but then there's a whopping great hole where it slides out and a lot less material around there and the motor as you say. That section on a Levo looks considerably more braced.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Almost looks like the battery might have more cells positioned at the bottom by the way the downtube is shaped. The downtube is narrower up towards the headtube. Lower COG.That might help with the turning radius if a person wanted to use a triple clamp fork as well

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
it's the new shimano ep9 ( they can't write it before shimano expose it )
prices starting from 5000 eur to 8000
three models
new kind of carbon type
full carbon frame
no fxcking sram but shimano
i really like it!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Very slick design!

I like the setup with the battery completely inside the frame, but it must have created stress points on the frame in the motor area. However, with modern eng’g methods I am sure it’s dealt with.
Considering the new material , twice as strong as carbon, and manufacturing process I don't think stress will be an issue on this bike.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy

f90 is 170mm , f50 is 140mm
they have same rear shock excursion of 65mm , but f90 is 230x65mm and f50 is 205x65mm trunnion mount , i do not understand why one is 170mm and the other is only 140mm if they have the same sock excursion

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Considering the new material , twice as strong as carbon, and manufacturing process I don't think stress will be an issue on this bike.

Well, every mechanical and electrical device has some level of noise, vibration & harshness. NVH creates stress and engineers take care of it.

I am confident that the eng’g team took care of it. Would be great to get more info on the design, materials and testing.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Slight edge to the two. Theyll both leave you broke and stranded but oh so fun.
I miss mine. Having fun pedaling the new light whip(36lbs) around but both the novelty and legs are wearing out. I wake every morning wanting to take it on every trail but im tired after 2 or 3 and not as fresh at the top of any of them.I dont care if i do another interval or sprint. I want to just spin and carry a decent speed for some laps. I hope i get an ep8 and its bridges some of the gap to narrow the edge gap on that 2 option.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
2 words that make more sense: want one
My accent & quite often my mnemonic - phonetic, whatever - spelling don't make much sense I agree.

Honestly not easy to always make sense but I'll try. The thermoplastic carbon composite certainly made me look and the EP8 may be the clincher - but then again maybe not, time will tell. It would seem to combine low weight, rigidity & strength although again there's some hopeful expectation in that presumption.

Maybe the EP8 is the make or break - that is hopefully made not to break - though it's still extremely difficult to pass by the dealer service advantage offered by Spesh especially given the heavy price tags of all of these high end machines.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
The thing that made my eyes pop out wasn't the frame. It was the battery. The frame is cool and innovative, but so far I have not broken a carbon fiber frame on my two Santa Cruz bikes. Overall this bike seems to be a game changer. We have the Kenevo and now the Santa Cruz Bullit, but this Kelly Theos seems a step or two ahead. For now I am going to still get a Bullit because I have no idea when this Theos is going to hit the market in the USA and how support will work. I really look forward to a test though. Cool bike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles