Just say no to 29ers

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
[QUOTE="
I'm going to lose a few of you with this next preference, but after 10 years of experimentation I really am not the biggest fan of tubeless tyres. The eMTB is on the originally supplied tubed 2.35 super gravity magic marys - good gravity casings have the feel I like and tubes add to that. Thin out the casing and the feel gets more pingy / less connected. Take the tubes out and it gets skittish. Make 'em bigger and they just roll and squirm in the corners. Lower pressures are gash (see other thread).”=QUOTE]

I use tubeless on my bikes but did not yet feel the need to set the ebike tubeless. But am using sealant inside the cameras with removable core valves and it works a treat, no trailside repair needed after the first year and 1300 km.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
In the 2015 the new golden calf was released. Integrated battery, the first original sin. What’s bring to ebikes? Nothing but aesthetics. What they other brands do? Integrate their battery because it’s was cool!

In 2019 this was already nothing cool, nothing new

So what’s the new golden calf has to do to keep their his faithful? A new cool thing

Hey, if we put 29ers? What? 29ers in enduro? Yeah men, this was tried this before, in XC bikes, and it was the bomb! Wait, did you know Schurter was racing 27.5 until 2016 and still win? Men, I don’t care what Nino does, we want to sell. But these wheels are heavier, are less nimble than 27.5, they flex more ... ahahaha! leave that to me, I did it a million times before

And 2020 all the other brands has to follow the 29er trend because it’s what the golden calf wear.

End of the story. Millions of people eat shitty burgers and that doesn’t mean they are good.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Maybe you need to learn about what marketing is

Did you know basketball shoes begin as an specific sport shoes and end as a fashion shoe?

Wait, hold on a second there!...So you're saying basketball shoes were designed for basketball??

Lay off the hashish....Next you'll be saying that bottled water is just regular water, but in a bottle.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
In the 2015 the new golden calf was released. Integrated battery, the first original sin. What’s bring to ebikes? Nothing but aesthetics. .

WRONG. Integrated batteries allow for not only cleaner lines but also allow for not only better strength per design as cut-aways for semi-integrated batteries require extra material to strengthen things but also allow for far better suspension systems while also allowing for a bottle cage. I could add more, but since you are totally clueless about the evolution of the 650b wheel it would be a waste of time.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I ride 29ers, with clipless pedals, occasionally in spandex and I'll place bets that I jump my Levo bigger than everyone in the forum. Sometimes bigger than the biggest jump of multiple members records combined.

My Levo has done 45ft senders, slope style jumps where apex of jump is 20+ feet off the ground, and 15ft drops... My 29" wheels, clipless pedals and spandex didn't hold the bike back at all in those moves. :p

Here is a quick clip of what the "warm up" jumps are before our bigger slopestyle jumps.. I am 6'3 and that's my XL for scale. Haha

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Ffs, did we not already have a poll on this ?

Just say no to the crack pipe son

29ers are ok, unless you living in the dark world of 26” like @Gary
Not that there’s anything wrong with that ?

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Ffs, did we not already have a poll on this ?

Just say no to the crack pipe son

29ers are ok, unless you living in the dark world of 26” like @Gary
Not that there’s anything wrong with that ?

You can ride what you like off course. That’s not my complaint, is not 27.5 vs 29 it’s about ”please don’t kill the 27.5“

Im the Greta Thunberg of the ebikes

You humans are disgusting

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
hell, not only should they kill 27.5 ... they should bury it forever.

Until the marketing guys run out of things to sell the bike, then they will bring it back and all the trend followers will oooooh & aaaahhh all over it.

gdcase

Nov 15, 2019
Nampa, ID
Just an old guy who loves to ride. I previously rode a 2016 Turbo Levo Aluminium with the 27.5 plus tires. I now own a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert Carbon with 2.6" 29rs and find this bike better handling and more fun to ride. Don't really care which specs make me like it better, I just do. No rant, just feel lucky to have such a great machine

Topolino

Jan 27, 2019
München
Sorry, but several manufacturers tried 27.5 and went back to 29er as it is a far more logical choice. 29er was a standard long before 27.5 was introduced to suck in the trend-setters.
One of the funny things I see is 27.5 with 2.8 tires .... seriously? Makes for a much slower wheel and to be fair, makes a 27.5 handle like a pregnant washing-machine next to a 26" bike or a 29er with smaller than 2.5 tires.

It’s all a little confusing to be honest... but isn’t a 27.5 x 28 technically a 29er ?

Greny

Aug 18, 2019
Sw France
There are people who don’t want enduro.... just want comfy 120 travel , fast 29 wheels with great Look clipless pedals and ride places (mountain ranges) , where the would last only 2 hours on a regular bike and get 4 hours on an emtb. , and yes in Lycra :)

NewLifeLevo

Sep 23, 2019
Victoria, BC, Canada
Fun, humorous, political, prejudice, experience, geo... it's not about the bike!

As a long term 29er fan, well before it became fashionable, it suited my riding style for many years focused on cross country. Modern geometries have corrected a lot of the monster truck handling issues, but not all – the physics of the 700c wheel has, like any other wheel size, its own characteristics, both pro and con.

My '19 Levo is a 29er and handled well after re-doing the suspension for performance on trails in BC (Canada). My last bike was a Niner RDO (short travel cross-country) I had converted to a mullet bike to make it work better as a trail bike (slacker). I loved it. I've since converted the Levo to a Mullet as I've posted before. The difference in handling dynamics, agility and fun are significant. Putting the bike exactly where I want, more control and not standing up in corners are some of the benefits for me. More confidence and more control = more speed (which I'd agree may be somewhat perceived versus actual). The rear wheel with 35mm rim combined with a Magic Mary 27.5 2.8 is a beast and turns the original bike, to use a moto analogy, from a 2-stroke (29er) to a 4-stroke (mullet) - torquey and planted. But wait, there's more. For kicks and giggles, I put the same wheel/tire combo on the front! As a 27.5 bike now, it's like a totally different riding bike: a huge difference. More of the positive qualities of the Mullet bike (agility, control), more 4-stroke-ish, and more comfort, although it feels slower! I haven't finished my wheel roulette riding experiences. Likely the 27.5 is perfect for winter riding here (mud, rain, slippery roots) and mullet for everything else!

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I rode my Levo with the 29 roval wheels that came with it for 3 months. It did roll over stuff better. However since switching to 27.5+ its more playful and rewarding when hitting the trails. I prefer the 27.5 but its not a bad bike with the 29ers. If it wasn’t for my gear acquisition syndrome i probably would have kept it.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Gentlemans, say what you want.

But the real enduro ebikes, none are full 29er. Norco isn’t. Rocky Mountain isn’t, Whyte isn’t, Pivot isn’t, etc.

If you want an all rounder trail ebike 29er it’s maybe ok on the front but I think ebikes are born for enduro, more or less aggressive but enduro. 455 chainstays? Dude that’s a train!

Like i said 29ers born for XC, it’s a round thing so at the end it works and works better in some situations but 29er is not for enduro, and no brand that wants to offer a real enduro ebike fit 29ers.

Thas a FACT

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Go and tell it to those manufactures... hey 29ers are better everybody knows, Levos are 29ers! Why you ebikes are 27.5?

Because they charge more and rely on trend followers like you to lap it up.

All of the bigger manufacturers have 29ers as their Trail & Enduro bikes with 27.5 options.
In other words they put 27.5+ wheels on a 29er.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
AGD.gif

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Thas my ignorant opinion

Corrected for you.

Why have taken it upon yourself to wage a war against a bicycle wheel size, go focus your energy somewhere else?

You do realise that all those brands you’ve listed make 29er enduro bikes???

Norco Range, Pivot Firebird 29, Rocky Mountain Slayer and G-170 29er.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Corrected for you.

Why have taken it upon yourself to wage a war against a bicycle wheel size, go focus your energy somewhere else?

You do realise that all those brands you’ve listed make 29er enduro bikes???

Norco Range, Pivot Firebird 29, Rocky Mountain Slayer and G-170 29er.

Not in their enduro ebikes. Also in the normal bikes, the top of the range (carbon frames etc) all come in 27.5, not plus. Mach is 27.5, Altitude is 27.5.

Still you don’t understand my argument, Im not against the 29er, I’m against the 29er predatory trend I don’t want 27.5 became the 26 almost extinct.

@Gary did i mention Schurter wins up to 2016 on 27.5?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles