Just got my Cube Stereo Hybrid, but battery does not seem to work

omittones

Sep 18, 2019
Split, Croatia
Hey guys, I just got my bike yesterday. The battery is Bosch PowerTube 500 and I tried riding it yesterday. Everything seemed OK, the Kiox display indicated 35% charge remaining and I took it out for a spin. I spent maybe 20 minutes riding it on some steep hills where I live and charge went down 10% in that timeframe. So far so good, if not a bit too quick. I took it out of the bike and plugged it in to charge overnight. Battery status lights worked OK. The charger got a bit hot but nothing unusual, no hotter than my laptop charger gets.

Today morning I tried plugging in the battery back into the bike and turned on the Kiox. The assist did not turn on at all, and no speed was displayed on the Kiox (just a dash "-" where "10 kmph" should be). No error code either. I took the battery off, press On/Off switch on it and no status lights. Nothing. I plug it in the charger, still nothing. This is properly frustrating, the bike is literally one day old.

Any ideas what to do know? Just take the battery back to the dealer? Of course, the dealer is in Germany and I'm not, so have to ship the battery to them.
Does anybody have any service manuals for the Powetube 500, maybe there is something in there which can help me. Some people talk about resetting the battery by holding it's power button for 15 seconds, but the owners manual which I got mentions no such thing.

Did anybody experience similar issues?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Try pressing and holding the battery button for 15 seconds to reset it. Then put back in bike and see if there is any difference.

You could also take the battery to any bike store who may have a Bosch charger in the work shop just to check if it’s the charger that has malfunctioned.

omittones

Sep 18, 2019
Split, Croatia
Try pressing and holding the battery button for 15 seconds to reset it. Then put back in bike and see if there is any difference.

You could also take the battery to any bike store who may have a Bosch charger in the work shop just to check if it’s the charger that has malfunctioned.

Yup, that's on my agenda for today. Thanks for the advice.

omittones

Sep 18, 2019
Split, Croatia
Tried the battery on a second charger, and nothing. Status lights are dead.
My charger seems to work on another battery, so I'm pretty sure it's the battery that's gone. Could it be that the charger overcharged it and killed it's BMS? Seems unlikely to me that Bosch would do a basic mistake like that :(
German retailer is still silent on the matter.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
So it started charging the first time ok and presumably cut out when fully charged as its meant to do but after that it didn’t respond to anything?

omittones

Sep 18, 2019
Split, Croatia
So it started charging the first time ok and presumably cut out when fully charged as its meant to do but after that it didn’t respond to anything?

Exactly. I assume it finished charging, since last time I saw it it was more than 75% complete. Next morning, dead.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
a mystery indeed. Incredibly unfortunate as I don’t expect this kind of thing happens very often and certainly not on a new battery. It seems to me as if the battery is probably fully charged as there was nothing to discharge it. It can’t be the battery contacts because you would still see the power bar lights if you press the test button. I can only think there is some kind of protection fuse inside which has caused it to completely cut out.
As a last attempt I’d try repeatedly inserting into bike and switching on then putting in charger and then back in bike again and repeating just to see if I could coax any life into it. I hate giving up on things but it looks like you have tried everything.
Hope you get it sorted soon

EndaG

Aug 22, 2019
ireland
Hey guys, I just got my bike yesterday. The battery is Bosch PowerTube 500 and I tried riding it yesterday. Everything seemed OK, the Kiox display indicated 35% charge remaining and I took it out for a spin. I spent maybe 20 minutes riding it on some steep hills where I live and charge went down 10% in that timeframe. So far so good, if not a bit too quick. I took it out of the bike and plugged it in to charge overnight. Battery status lights worked OK. The charger got a bit hot but nothing unusual, no hotter than my laptop charger gets.

Today morning I tried plugging in the battery back into the bike and turned on the Kiox. The assist did not turn on at all, and no speed was displayed on the Kiox (just a dash "-" where "10 kmph" should be). No error code either. I took the battery off, press On/Off switch on it and no status lights. Nothing. I plug it in the charger, still nothing. This is properly frustrating, the bike is literally one day old.

Any ideas what to do know? Just take the battery back to the dealer? Of course, the dealer is in Germany and I'm not, so have to ship the battery to them.
Does anybody have any service manuals for the Powetube 500, maybe there is something in there which can help me. Some people talk about resetting the battery by holding it's power button for 15 seconds, but the owners manual which I got mentions no such thing.

Did anybody experience similar issues?

This exact thing has just happened to me!
cube stereo 140,
bought from bike-discount last november.
barely used it all winter,
went out to ride it yesterday and nothing!

battery dead no lights no charging.
I just emailed BD to see what happens next.

How did this work out for you in the end?
cheers,
enda.

omittones

Sep 18, 2019
Split, Croatia
This exact thing has just happened to me!
cube stereo 140,
bought from bike-discount last november.
barely used it all winter,
went out to ride it yesterday and nothing!

battery dead no lights no charging.
I just emailed BD to see what happens next.

How did this work out for you in the end?
cheers,
enda.

I've filed an issue with Bike Discount, and they organized DHL to pickup my bike and ship it to Germany. They did, BD replaced the battery and sent the bike back. All in all it took 3 weeks to get it back, and so far no issues.
So I cannot really complain, they did everything promptly and with no fuss. The only stupid thing is that I had to ship the entire bike to Germany and not just battery. Hope you saved your package box :)

EndaG

Aug 22, 2019
ireland
Ch
I've filed an issue with Bike Discount, and they organized DHL to pickup my bike and ship it to Germany. They did, BD replaced the battery and sent the bike back. All in all it took 3 weeks to get it back, and so far no issues.
So I cannot really complain, they did everything promptly and with no fuss. The only stupid thing is that I had to ship the entire bike to Germany and not just battery. Hope you saved your package box :)
cheers for getting back to me!
Thats good to hear.
I didn't save the box,
I got the bike 3 months ago and there is no way to store that thing for that long in any normal house!
especially with 3 kids around!
Anyway,
I did not expect I would have to send it back to them!
But thats life eh!

All the best with the bike ,
Enda.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
That's why I say to everyone who asks, Buy local, Buy local, Buy local, Buy local.
My First eBike, a Focus Jam2 Didn't work for 4 months. I had to take it in for repairs 8 times. Sometimes I went to pick it up and just gave it straight back to them. The Bike shop even gave me a loaner for most of the time the bike was in for repair. I would have been fu...d if it was an online purchase.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales

i Madisonn(shimano uk) are to be believed its because shipping just the battery is considered a hazardous item, if the battery is stuck to a bike its not.

they were telling me about it at their trade show a couple of years age just before the steps e8000 system was released.

MC1

Jul 24, 2020
Dundee
Just happened to the wife's stereo 120 today, she received it on Friday with 23% on the battery, she played about with it and run it down to 12%, put away took it out today ran the battery to 0% then charged it to 30% nipped out for a bit ran it down to 13% plugged in to the charger and nothing on the kiox about charging.

It has 1 led light on, I've followed everything in this thread and nothing, hoping it's just the charger, so off to a Bosch centre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles