Joining the Commencal club

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That’s the best value model I think , I’ve got a new 550 spring I never used if you need one

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
That’s the best value model I think , I’ve got a new 550 spring I never used if you need one
Totally agree. I was originally looking at a base levo and upgrading to coil springs. Just that upgrade was 30% of the cost of the Meta Power. New rear coil and ACS3 kit and I’m all set for well under $5000. Hope it rides as well as I expect.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Totally agree. I was originally looking at a base levo and upgrading to coil springs. Just that upgrade was 30% of the cost of the Meta Power. New rear coil and ACS3 kit and I’m all set for well under $5000. Hope it rides as well as I expect.
Levo price/specs are a joke and looking at the forums they have some ridiculous issues too... Meta Power is a wise choice :)

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Well after fetching my bike from fedex yesterday I got it built up and took my first ride today. I’m still working to make it fit me. Might need to try an 80mm stem for some more reach. So far loving the bike
8C11BCE1-FD40-446F-8904-B1A3110CC174.jpeg

So much has changed since my last new bike way back in 2003.
I’m happy with how it’s handling my 116kg self. Rock Shox 650lb spring and 120psi in the fork. I changed to a 60mm rise bar and had ditch the damn thumb shifter before even riding it. GRIPSHIFT all the way. Might be the only Gripshift bike on this forum. Old habits die hard.

Put a big ol’ Mudhugger fender to make the sun come out and drive up the mud. At least I’m prepared.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Congrats, looks great in mango! :) The gripshift is a personal preference and nothing’s wrong with using whatever you like. Also, there is no other SRAM shifter which can upshift multiple gears at a time.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Is the rear spring a better option to the air shock?? Im about 19st and are having thoughts about my air shock on the meta power

Especially if your heavy I think it is the way forward , I’ve never had an air shock that felt like it worked properly for me , I had to use them so hard to feel supportive while pedaling , which felt too hard when defending , and seemed to blow through the stroke too easily and bottom out on small jumps etc .
Iam sure a quality air shock can be tuned to work well for heavy riders , but the coil feels so much better to me and someasy to set up .

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
Especially if your heavy I think it is the way forward , I’ve never had an air shock that felt like it worked properly for me , I had to use them so hard to feel supportive while pedaling , which felt too hard when defending , and seemed to blow through the stroke too easily and bottom out on small jumps etc .
Iam sure a quality air shock can be tuned to work well for heavy riders , but the coil feels so much better to me and someasy to set up .
Which coil do you use?? Ive got the Fox DPX2 I think it is which comes as standard on the meta power

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Which coil do you use?? Ive got the Fox DPX2 I think it is which comes as standard on the meta power
It’s the rock shock coil that is used on some metas

That dpx2 is very nice shock , I’ve been playing about with one on my daughters bike recently , the air spacers make a huge difference in how the shock Ramps up . I reckon you could get that set up to work quite well for a heavy rider , certainly worth a go the air spacer set is only about £23

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
When any manufacturer specifies a light/light tune on their air shocks it makes them really hard to dial in for us heavier riders even after putting in all the volume spacer that will fit.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If i wanted to upgrade to a coil what would i need for the meta power race?? not sure the air spring is as good for my weight. Im about 20st
Commencal list the rock shock coil shock that the ebike use on thier site . It was on a good offer last time I looked . There’s a spring chart online to get the correct spring , springs are only about £25 so it’s not an over expensive mod .

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Commencal has some of the longest reaches in the industry and you want to put an 80mm stem on it? How tall are you?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Commencal has some of the longest reaches in the industry and you want to put an 80mm stem on it? How tall are you?
I’m 6’5” with long arms and torso. The 80mm stem is perfect. It is more comfortable and I’m no longer fighting as hard to keep the front end down on climbs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles