Joining the club with a custom 9.8

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Some updates:
-Rear tire failed. The rubber separated from the kevlar cord. It was already pretty worn out. I put a Hutchinson Griffus 2.5 to replace it (limited choice at the local shop), and like it a lot ! Volume is only 1mm less than the Michelin, but knobs are less far appart. Grip is much better, notably while braking. It is also very good in mud and wet roots. I have also found a set of Michelin Enduro, that i want to try.
-The rear hub failed yesterday. It split during a acceleration before a steep climb (tour mode). I think the torque was the culprit... I was able to go down (1200m !) on the bike (first by trails then the road) and to regain the car after having put some Colson between the cassette and the spokes. the freewhell in the crankset of the Bosh system makes this less painfull then on a regular bikes wich becomes a fixie !
-I bought a 170mm shaft for the zeb. I have to look for the spacer thing in the rear shock, i don't remember if i can remove it completely to gain travel.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
-The rear hub will be changed by the manufacturer (even if out of warranty), but there is some waiting time
-i ordered an Aenomaly Switchgrade (end of march, no sign of shipping yet), we will see if it helps on step inclines
-I found in Spain a 72° knock block assembly, i ordered it, we will see how it fits : Headset Part Trek Knock Block 72-Degree Upper Assembly
-I still don't like my Magura brakes (find them rubing, and the rear disk has some discolor from overheating). I might try to siwtch the 200 and 220mm (putting it in the rear), and if no good might switch to Shimano double pistons. This article makes a lot of sense for me

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Somes news, i received a new hub for free. Even if it wasn't under guaranty anymore ! I had my whellbuilder build back the whell, and i'm riding again !

I have the 72° headset, and the aenomally switchgrade to install, and will report.

I still don't like the Magura MT8 brakes. The braking is ok, but the pistons do not retract enough, and i get constant rubing. Also, they are a pain to purge. So i ordered some Shimano dual piston to replace them.
Do you guys know if it is possible to change the hose without removing the motor ?
Here is my plan :
  • Cut the Magura hose next to the caliper
  • Thread the Shimano hose with a small dual threaded piece
  • Pull on the Magura hose hoping everything will follow over the motor...
What do you think ?

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
So i installed the new headset. It required some dremel work.
Stock parts on the right, new parts (Slash 72° kit) on the left.
2022-09-23 18.50.28.jpg

The result : a better turning radius, and still knock block to prevent the bar from over rotating.
2022-09-24 19.24.59.jpg

Last edited:

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
This pict was taken with the same extrem position (12 o clock), left is stock part, right is Slash 72° kit.
One can see the difference in turning radius.

On the Slash kit i bought, both the top cap and the little part screwed on the frame are different. Top cap have an inside circular depression with a bigger angle, and the screwed part is narrower. I tried to just exchange them in my (carbon 2021) frame, but on the scewed part there is a little pin (next to the screw hole) that goes into the frame, and the new part didn't fit : on the new part the diameter is a little to big and can't penetrate.
2022-09-24 18.52.10.jpg

So i used the new top cap, and dremeled the old screwed part so that it has the same width as new one.
2022-09-24 19.04.28.jpg

Frame clearance is ok (carbon 2021 XL frame)
2022-09-24 19.25.12.jpg
2022-09-24 19.25.22.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles