Jam2 frame cracked

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I think a lot of store is being put on another bike dealers word on what he alleges one of Rutland’s directors said.

It’s a bit unfair to slate a company on hearsay.

I’ve no need to defend Rutland Water Cycling, they can do that themselves, but this seems a bit out of order.

I just think that like a lot of bike shops at the moment, they’re trying to deal with lots of work often with reduced staffing levels.

Comms sounds like they should be better though I agree, I had to chase my warranty replacement charger every time, although it did get sorted.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I think a lot of store is being put on another bike dealers word on what he alleges one of Rutland’s directors said.

I’ve no need to defend Rutland Water Cycling, they can do that themselves, but this seems a bit out of order.

I just think that like a lot of bike shops at the moment, they’re trying to deal with lots of work often with reduced staffing levels.

Comms sounds like they should be better though I agree, I had to chase my warranty replacement charger every time, although it did get sorted.
I don't think anyone is disrespecting Rutland, the full thread relating to @Yorkshirelad warranty issue is merely highlighting their lack of customer service in that they do not seem to have taken ownership of the issue, we're not saying it's their fault but it is there responsibility to liaise with their customer as to the progress of the warranty claim or admit they have not bee as proactive as they should have been, too many people are quoting the COVID-19 situation as their failure to answer calls etc, if they do not have the foresight and infrastructure to facilitate the needs of their customers then they should be upfront about their inability to do so and not simply ignore their responsibilities, they're quick to count and bank the cash to the detriment of customer service.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay

Yes I agree and maybe should have kept that bit to myself, I was actually trying to point out the lbs owners take Rutlands approach.
For what it’s worth... I actually thought it sounded like a load of nonesense, It would be pretty strange for a company director to come out with something like that at a sales conference.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
This usually works.... couldn’t get a response out of them on Twitter and I’m not on Facebook.
I agree that sometimes social media can work providing that the person reading your post actually takes some responsibility or at least makes a senior member of staff aware of your message, when all else fails sometimes you need to resort to the old fashioned way of tickling your keyboard, compiling a letter, printing it off and sending it by recorded mail to those that run the business, the following may help,

Mr David Middlemiss - Director - Mallen Spring, High Street , Ketton, Stamford, Lincolnshire PE9 3TE
Sally Marie Clare Middlemiss - Director - Address as above
Karen Archer - Director - The Old Station Yard, Wing Road, Manton, Oakham, Rutland LE15 8SZ
Paul Martin Archer - Director - Address as above

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@steve_sordy
Sorry Sir, - Rutters is Rutland and I "thought" what you have explained too, so took to LBS and asked to 'tune / fix' the gears as clunky kicked out of 11/12. They were the ones that told me the cassette is 'worn' which as the bike has 7 miles on it, it isn't, so they said to get a replacement one.
To be fair to Rutland, had a good email this morning from "Kevin" who asked size and will send out a replacement one.

Good to know about the alignment tool as all that back end stuff looks a tad black box technical stuff to me!!
Thanks.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the explanation.

Using an alignment tool is really simple, honestly! See the video below. By the way there are cheaper alignment tools than the ParkTools version, Its just that I had a combination of an offer and some CRC vouchers.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the explanation.

Using an alignment tool is really simple, honestly! See the video below. By the way there are cheaper alignment tools than the ParkTools version, Its just that I had a combination of an offer and some CRC vouchers.

Now that video just makes me want to buy a tool !!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
It’s still in my garage ??
To be honest I’ve started the section 75 thing so I’m just going to let it play out now.
I’ve got a hardtail which I’ve been riding so will have to make do with that for now!!
Blimey, remind me never to use Rutland, I think you'll get a positive response to the section 75, I woukd even email Mr Middlemiss and tell him thats what you're doing, fingers crossed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Based upon experience of the last four years I would highly recommend the Rutland Cycling Whitwell and Normanton locations. I have never used any of the other sites. Helpful and friendly staff either on the phone or in person. I was once offered a cup of tea while I was waiting to collect my bike!! In those four years I have bought a new bike and taken it and one other in for warranty work. The warranty work was dealt with speedily.

My experience with Rutland Cycling at those locations goes back even further to 2008. Since then I have bought two further bikes, had work done on them, and had warranty work on items they did not supply. Most famously, a dropper that failed with two weeks to go on a two-year warranty; I had thought it was a one-year warranty, so I was delighted to get a new dropper.

I only had one negative experience when hiring a bike. I told them that it was a with a view to buy, possibly. In fact I was just killing time with my grandson while my own bike was at the menders. The guy (who I never saw again) told me the bike was "good enough for around here and ready to go". I think he was having a laugh. I expected to have to move the saddle and the bar furniture and to fit my own pedals, but the rest of it....!. There was 30psi difference between the tyres, the fork was rock hard, the shock was jelly soft, and the rebound and compression settings were all over the place on both. It was so bad it looked deliberate! That was a Yeti SB140 I believe, not sure now, but it was about £3k.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I emailed the MD like you suggested, didnt Get a reply but they seem to be moving things along now......
Happy days, if nothing else it may have made him realise that he can't hide away from his companies responsibility, I would suggest a follow up email a week after they have collected your bike, if they don't get in touch before, to ask about the progress of your warranty and copy the MD into all communications if you're not emailing him direct, fingers crossed.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Happy days, if nothing else it may have made him realise that he can't hide away from his companies responsibility, I would suggest a follow up email a week after they have collected your bike, if they don't get in touch before, to ask about the progress of your warranty and copy the MD into all communications if you're not emailing him direct, fingers crossed.
Yeah good plan.... goodness me what a shit show this has been!!!! Love the bike as well ??‍♂️

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Yeah good plan.... goodness me what a shit show this has been!!!! Love the bike as well ??‍♂️
Agreed, there's just no excuse for exceptionally poor aftersales customer service, just keep nudging them as they'll want to resolve it for fear of a bollocking from the MD if they don't.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Hey Yorkshire Lad, I don’t know about anybody else but I’ve been waiting in suspense for a positive update from you on this; hopefully it’s all sorted ........perhaps you’ve had to sign an NDA because they’ve replaced it with an all singing, all dancing latest top of the range..........or did I miss something..........!!!!?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Hey Yorkshire Lad, I don’t know about anybody else but I’ve been waiting in suspense for a positive update from you on this; hopefully it’s all sorted ........perhaps you’ve had to sign an NDA because they’ve replaced it with an all singing, all dancing latest top of the range..........or did I miss something..........!!!!?
I've also been wondering about the outcome, I'm sure that I saw he had taken delivery of a new Decoy
I'm also intrigued although I did see something on Saturday, last weeks most popular threads, that he was waiting on a new Decoy so maybe he got a refund and bought the Decoy instead.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Haha yes I wish!!!

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Sorry guys, no update is due to...... no update!!!
They still have the bike!!

They have taken to leaving sarcastic replies on twitter to me lately. I honestly do hate them and would strongly urge anybody to avoid them like the plague.
I have started a section 75 claim and no update on that so far, I would just like to get the money back and draw a line under the who dreadful experience. I email them almost on a daily basis, always copy the md in on every email, have emailed him directly with no response. I am pretty much at a point of just waiting for a refund or for a bike to arrive on my doorstep.

Rutland - despite people giving it the ‘ive never had any problems with them’ are most definitely a shop to avoid avoid avoid!

The good news is... I now have a YT and it is unreal, I’ve had it a week and done about 150 miles on it so far. Loving it!
17C013DB-E64F-42CE-9E76-70AF17D322B6.jpeg

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Unbelievable!!! The section 75 claim is ongoing but what happens with it if I eventually get the bike back? Do I refuse to accept it back?
That's going to be up to you but if I was in your position I would stick with the section 75, Rutland will be aware of it but seem to be ignorant to your position.
I think you will get resolution with the section 75 before ever receiving your repaired / new bike and with all the new models released lately your money will be better spent elsewhere, the new Focus range looks especially good.
If they, by some miracle, do offer to return the bike I would speak with your card provider as contractually, faulty goods, you're not obliged to accept it and so take the refund, your timeline from start to finish should be evidence enough for your card provider to push Rutland as there is a time frame in which they have to resolve the matter.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
So the bike was delivered on Friday, new swing arm has no protector but they are sending the new protector when they receive it from Focus. The swing arm has no detail on that the last one had... Focus branding etc... I’m not really sure what to make of it.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
So, you're only marginally further forward than you were when this whole saga started.
They have ignored you for the best part of this drawn out warranty issue and when they do actually return your goods it's not representative of what you originally purchased, It's not for you, the customer, to have to undertake the fixing of a chain stay protector, when and if it arrives, and then have to source and purchase the correct decals to return your bike to it's original condition, for me the whole process has refund written all over it and so would be pursuing the section 75 you have instructed your credit provider to undertake.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles