Jam2 frame cracked

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I believe that all the Rutland Cycling locations have shut down except the one in Peterborough.
Early on in the lockdown I wanted to visit the Whitwell facility at Rutland Water and rang first to make an appointment. I was put through to the Peterborough shop and after some initial confusion, the guy told me that they were all shut except Peterborough. All the staff had been furloughed. That will be one reason why it is taking so long to process warranty claims; they are all being funnelled via just the one shop. I thought that they had a central office somewhere, they certainly have a big warehouse somewhere that will have offices.

I walked into Grafham branch today. No appointment.

Was served at the counter. No issues.

Hope the OP gets his frame sorted! Guessing quite far but Might get more of a response if you go and see them....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I walked into Grafham branch today. No appointment.

Was served at the counter. No issues.

Hope the OP gets his frame sorted! Guessing quite far but Might get more of a response if you go and see them....
It's great to see them open again, but from now on I'll only be going for any warranty claims on my Focus Jam2. (They are a Focus dealer).
During the lockdown I found a small bike shop in the town near where I live that not only supplied and services eBikes but was open, and is staffed with people who are friendly, helpful, quick, and cheap! :love:

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Have you looked into the section 75 yet?
Yeah spoken to ombudsman, I can only start a section 75 claim if they refuse a warranty claim. Just gonna have to sit it out and try and be patient I suppose!
I also have a YT Decoy on order which is back in stock 1st July, that should soften the blow!!!
Thankfully there are no question marks over YT’s customer service..... ?

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
It's great to see them open again, but from now on I'll only be going for any warranty claims on my Focus Jam2. (They are a Focus dealer).
During the lockdown I found a small bike shop in the town near where I live that not only supplied and services eBikes but was open, and is staffed with people who are friendly, helpful, quick, and cheap! :love:
Yep I really should just buy local.... I never learn though ?

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Actually really pissed off with this today.

They contacted me via email the other night at about midnight...(wtf?!) To say they need the bike back, would Wednesday be ok for courier, do I need a box sending out for the Bike on priority? I emailed them back.... I have heard nothing since.
Are they still coming to collect the bike tomorrow? where is the bike Box as a priority as promised?

What an utterly dreadful experience this has been.

They have my number so why doesn't somebody just contact me to arrange all this stuff In one simple conversation rather than communicating through email with 2/3 day delays between replies????? So frustrating.

Im sorry.... I’m ranting!!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

They contacted me via email the other night at about midnight...(wtf?!) To say they need the bike back, would Wednesday be ok for courier, do I need a box sending out for the Bike on priority? I emailed them back.... I have heard nothing since.
Are they still coming to collect the bike tomorrow? where is the bike Box as a priority as promised?

They have my number so why doesn't somebody just contact me to arrange all this stuff In one simple conversation rather than communicating through email with 2/3 day delays between replies????? So frustrating.

I would be apoplectic, from the first time you posted on here about your cracked frame you're no further forward, you have not received any basic form of customer service.
I know you spoke to the ombudsman about the section 75 I suggested but I think he's wrong, a colleague of mine commenced a section 75 against YT, he had sent a faulty Decoy back, cracked headtube, 5 weeks into it he had heard nothing so he instigated the section 75, 17 days after he did he received a full refund, failure to fulfil their contractual obligations within a satisfactory time frame acceptable to the customer, you're within your rights to refuse a warranty repair / replacement and demand a refund as the goods are faulty, in law they do not have a leg to stand on, I wouldn't want the bike back, repaired or otherwise as the trust in the bike shop and the brand has gone, Rutland should have asked for the complete bike to be returned in the first place as a matter of course, them doing so suggests they're replacing old for new.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
I would be apoplectic, from the first time you posted on here about your cracked frame you're no further forward, you have not received any basic form of customer service.
I know you spoke to the ombudsman about the section 75 I suggested but I think he's wrong, a colleague of mine commenced a section 75 against YT, he had sent a faulty Decoy back, cracked headtube, 5 weeks into it he had heard nothing so he instigated the section 75, 17 days after he did he received a full refund, failure to fulfil their contractual obligations within a satisfactory time frame acceptable to the customer, you're within your rights to refuse a warranty repair / replacement and demand a refund as the goods are faulty, in law they do not have a leg to stand on, I wouldn't want the bike back, repaired or otherwise as the trust in the bike shop and the brand has gone, Rutland should have asked for the complete bike to be returned in the first place as a matter of course, them doing so suggests they're replacing old for new.
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to head down this route.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to head down this route.
Good luck with it, it may help if you compile a written timeline from the beginning of your complaint and any communications from yourself to them and vice versa, compiling a timeline enables you to better submit a concise complaint and get the result you want, judging by the way you have been ignored I think they're on the back foot so the more ammunition you have the better your result.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW

You have every right to rant and I agree a simple quick and you have a totally different experience. Sorry. Hope it all gets sorted in the end.

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
Just starting the same process with Rutters - Thron2 came on last Thursday (6 days earlier than notified so a A* there) but first 50 yard ride out chain came off - gears clunky as anything. Found out 11th and 12th are "worn" and keep throwing out, you almost have to double shift the gear to get it in and then just pops back out to 10?? Had it in at LBS and thats their diagnosis and as he said - "simple warranty issue, get them to send and we'll chuck it on for you".
Emailed my concern Monday and nothing yet, will start phoning tomorrow...

BTW - does this sound like a worn cassette, me I know nothing so just going on shop advice. Anyone have a fix that doesn't involve Rutters then gladly do that??

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
My jam came from Rutland but should I need any warranty work it turns out my local dealer I use for servicing is a focus dealer. I’d rather pay them to handle a warranty claim than go through the Rutland hassle. No shops within 70 mile of me. Do you not have a focus dealer near to you?

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
@Winryn - do they do that - looks like I do have a few near me, well a hell of a lot closer than the nearest Rutland shop. I'll get on the blower tomorrow and call around to see what they say. Thanks

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
@Winryn - do they do that - looks like I do have a few near me, well a hell of a lot closer than the nearest Rutland shop. I'll get on the blower tomorrow and call around to see what they say. Thanks

yea they just need to confirm it’s still within warranty and make the claim. I’ve seen people in the past say in instances where the bike wasn’t purchased from them some ask for an admin/inspection fee. I’d probably be honest and say not from you but if I cover inspection costs could you handle the claim.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just starting the same process with Rutters - Thron2 came on last Thursday (6 days earlier than notified so a A* there) but first 50 yard ride out chain came off - gears clunky as anything. Found out 11th and 12th are "worn" and keep throwing out, you almost have to double shift the gear to get it in and then just pops back out to 10?? Had it in at LBS and thats their diagnosis and as he said - "simple warranty issue, get them to send and we'll chuck it on for you".
Emailed my concern Monday and nothing yet, will start phoning tomorrow...

BTW - does this sound like a worn cassette, me I know nothing so just going on shop advice. Anyone have a fix that doesn't involve Rutters then gladly do that??
I have never heard of Rutters. This does not sound like worn gears to me and why should they be worn, its a new bike isn't it? What it does sound like is that your gear shifting needs adjusting. During transit, the mech hanger or the mech arm may have been knocked and is slightly bent away from the big gears. An alignment is quick and easy to do, and cheap too. The tool is not cheap, but any bike shop will have one. My LBS used to charge me £10 per alignment until I bought an alignment tool after the third alignment in as many months. Of course once I bought the tool I've used it only once in two years!!

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
@steve_sordy
Sorry Sir, - Rutters is Rutland and I "thought" what you have explained too, so took to LBS and asked to 'tune / fix' the gears as clunky kicked out of 11/12. They were the ones that told me the cassette is 'worn' which as the bike has 7 miles on it, it isn't, so they said to get a replacement one.
To be fair to Rutland, had a good email this morning from "Kevin" who asked size and will send out a replacement one.

Good to know about the alignment tool as all that back end stuff looks a tad black box technical stuff to me!!
Thanks.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
@steve_sordy
Sorry Sir, - Rutters is Rutland and I "thought" what you have explained too, so took to LBS and asked to 'tune / fix' the gears as clunky kicked out of 11/12. They were the ones that told me the cassette is 'worn' which as the bike has 7 miles on it, it isn't, so they said to get a replacement one.
To be fair to Rutland, had a good email this morning from "Kevin" who asked size and will send out a replacement one.

Good to know about the alignment tool as all that back end stuff looks a tad black box technical stuff to me!!
Thanks.

I don’t think a new cassette will fix your issue, not without adjustments to the indexing or realignment anyway, which no doubt could be done on the cassette you already have which you said has only 7 miles on it? Are any teeth broken or bent on it?

I‘d be wary of putting too much faith in your LBS with this one.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
My jam came from Rutland but should I need any warranty work it turns out my local dealer I use for servicing is a focus dealer. I’d rather pay them to handle a warranty claim than go through the Rutland hassle. No shops within 70 mile of me. Do you not have a focus dealer near to you?
Yes there is a Focus dealer 30 mins from me but after starting the process he then changed his mind and emailed me to say that he would rather Rutland deal with it.
I think he had enough of me pestering but I did only email him twice in a week for updates, I don’t think this is excessive. I understand his customers come first though and appreciate they are very busy at the moment.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Every time I’ve updated the situation on here I have done so whilst being pissed off with the latest ‘update’, I should probably say....
Hopefully my case is a one off as everything I’ve read on trustpilot etc... suggests Rutland are actually fine to deal with.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Every time I’ve updated the situation on here I have done so whilst being pissed off with the latest ‘update’, I should probably say....
Hopefully my case is a one off as everything I’ve read on trustpilot etc... suggests Rutland are actually fine to deal with.
All businesses get things wrong at some point, your situation is a point in case and should serve as a reminder to Rutland not to be complacent and that good customer service is key.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Yes there is a Focus dealer 30 mins from me but after starting the process he then changed his mind and emailed me to say that he would rather Rutland deal with it.
I think he had enough of me pestering but I did only email him twice in a week for updates, I don’t think this is excessive. I understand his customers come first though and appreciate they are very busy at the moment.
That's just poor, as an agent for Focus he should be obliged to undertake any warranty issue, it's like taking your car to a dealer for a warranty issue and the dealer asking you to take it.to another one, it's just a case of passing the buck and responsibility.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
That's just poor, as an agent for Focus he should be obliged to undertake any warranty issue, it's like taking your car to a dealer for a warranty issue and the dealer asking you to take it.to another one, it's just a case of passing the buck and responsibility.
Funnily enough the guy I spoke to accused Rutland of passing the buck by telling me to speak to my local Focus dealer.... I very much got the impression he was coming from a ‘should have bought it off me in the first place’ type angle. Not going to name them as I don’t want to dig them out.
Something he also mentioned was that he had met one of the directors of Rutland at a sales conference and they had told him they were not interested in the customer service side of the business they just wanted to build up a network of shops and then sell the business on for megabucks. Strange comment, didn’t really know what to make of that one!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Funnily enough the guy I spoke to accused Rutland of passing the buck by telling me to speak to my local Focus dealer.... I very much got the impression he was coming from a ‘should have bought it off me in the first place’ type angle. Not going to name them as I don’t want to dig them out.
Something he also mentioned was that he had met one of the directors of Rutland at a sales conference and they had told him they were not interested in the customer service side of the business they just wanted to build up a network of shops and then sell the business on for megabucks. Strange comment, didn’t really know what to make of that one!
That doesn't surprise me, its the business model for a lot of these medium size chains, and there are quite a few vc sharks circling the bike shop business at the moment - I know the previous owners of Evans are looking to get back into the game by buying up local shops and forming a new chain, and you can guess what they will do with that when they have built it up.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
It's sad that their are genuine businesses out there going the extra mile and then the flip side that an arrogant director of a very average multi-site business is just in it for the money, as Jeff Bozos
That doesn't surprise me, its the business model for a lot of these medium size chains, and there are quite a few vc sharks circling the bike shop business at the moment - I know the previous owners of Evans are looking to get back into the game by buying up local shops and forming a new chain, and you can guess what they will do with that when they have built it up.
That's just typical of an arrogant business director, neglecting the customer experience and aftersales is a recipe for disaster, he's a small fish in a very large pond operating on a local not national basis, similar to Leisure Lakes who unlike Rutland are customer centric, and Rutland could never compete either with volume or the customer service that Wheelbase offers, my general rule of thumb when buying a bike is that it needs to be within a 60 minute drive as you can stay on the front foot as the distance is manageable, any further than that then as you've found, when things go wrong you have an issue and of course the image of Focus has been sullied by an uncaring business.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
As Jeff Bezos of Amazon says, "no business, no matter how big, is immune from going bust".

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
It's sad that their are genuine businesses out there going the extra mile and then the flip side that an arrogant director of a very average multi-site business is just in it for the money, as Jeff Bozos

That's just typical of an arrogant business director, neglecting the customer experience and aftersales is a recipe for disaster, he's a small fish in a very large pond operating on a local not national basis, similar to Leisure Lakes who unlike Rutland are customer centric, and Rutland could never compete either with volume or the customer service that Wheelbase offers, my general rule of thumb when buying a bike is that it needs to be within a 60 minute drive as you can stay on the front foot as the distance is manageable, any further than that then as you've found, when things go wrong you have an issue and of course the image of Focus has been sullied by an uncaring business.
Just as a side note... I purchased a cube ebike from leisure lakes and there was a problem with the motor/electronics, they picked the bike up and had it back to us all within 10 days of the problem occurring. Great service from them!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles