Jam2 frame cracked

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
I would also pass the sarcastic comments on to the MD along with pictures of the replacement parts asking if they are OEM parts.
What a shit show this has been. Go and stand outside the shop telling customers that their after service is shocking. I read once you can do this for a short period and they can do nothing about it.
Hope it is sorted soon.

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Hi,
What kind of communication (if any) were you getting between the time your bike was picked up and when it was returned to you? Other than the sarcastic Twitter tours
replies. Any examples of these by the way?

Certainly finding myself no longer wanting to buy from them at all.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
So the bike was delivered on Friday, new swing arm has no protector but they are sending the new protector when they receive it from Focus. The swing arm has no detail on that the last one had... Focus branding etc... I’m not really sure what to make of it.
I'd tell them to stick it - they're clearly trying to grind you down to the point where you'll accept anything you're given and be grateful for it.

Attrition is no way to deal with a customer who has a valid and serious grievance.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Hi,
What kind of communication (if any) were you getting between the time your bike was picked up and when it was returned to you? Other than the sarcastic Twitter tours
replies. Any examples of these by the way?

Certainly finding myself no longer wanting to buy from them at all.
They would email me back after I had contacted them, usually a few days later but certainly weren’t sending me unprompted updates on the matter. The sarcastic responses on Twitter I can let go to be fair, I was leaving harsh comments on their posts which they were responding to... it sort of turned into a bit of a laugh. Probably poor on my part!

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
My dad wants to buy the bike off me for £2k which I think is a good price, I paid £2.7k and I would like him to get into the ebike thing so part of me is just thinking of drawing a line under this and selling him it. I know this is like me giving in but it sort of suits me, I suppose I have had £700 worth of use out of it at 900 miles.
The no decals thing has pissed me off though, they arent even stickers on it they are a powder coat like finish so it’s no like I can get a set of decals. I asked them about this on Friday and they emailed me back this afternoon with ‘aftermarket swing arm does not come with original decals’ poor again.
whatever I choose to do I would strongly urge anyone to avoid them, especially with ebikes.... the after sales side is important (I have a YT now..... ironic I know)!!!!

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Just had a count up.... it took 85 days from me noticing the crack. In that time my mate has had 2 motor replacements on his kenevo ? maybe Warranty replacement timescales should be measured in Brose motors from now on ?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
God help your dad if anything else goes wrong with it, for me both Focus and Rutland will be forever off my radar, whatever you choose to do, enjoy your Decoy.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
My dad wants to buy the bike off me for £2k which I think is a good price, I paid £2.7k and I would like him to get into the ebike thing so part of me is just thinking of drawing a line under this and selling him it. I know this is like me giving in but it sort of suits me, I suppose I have had £700 worth of use out of it at 900 miles.
The no decals thing has pissed me off though, they arent even stickers on it they are a powder coat like finish so it’s no like I can get a set of decals. I asked them about this on Friday and they emailed me back this afternoon with ‘aftermarket swing arm does not come with original decals’ poor again.
whatever I choose to do I would strongly urge anyone to avoid them, especially with ebikes.... the after sales side is important (I have a YT now..... ironic I know)!!!!
Been a thrifty Yorkshire man myself & also owning a Focus, I wouldn’t accept an aftermarket swing arm with no decals. Why should you? By aftermarket, do they mean it’s not a Focus item? It’s from another supplier. ( I don’t think BMW get there warranty replacements parts from Halfrauds) As I can’t understand why an original Focus replacement 1 wouldn’t have the decals on. I believe the Focus bikes have the decals/transfers applied & a matt finish lacquer over the top. Also if it were an aftermarket item, it could affect future warranty claims.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Been a thrifty Yorkshire man myself & also owning a Focus, I wouldn’t accept an aftermarket swing arm with no decals. Why should you? By aftermarket, do they mean it’s not a Focus item? It’s from another supplier. ( I don’t think BMW get there warranty replacements parts from Halfrauds) As I can’t understand why an original Focus replacement 1 wouldn’t have the decals on. I believe the Focus bikes have the decals/transfers applied & a matt finish lacquer over the top. Also if it were an aftermarket item, it could affect future warranty claims.

I doubt they're suggesting it's a non-oem swingarm, just that it's a service part and so not got decals, as they are applied later in the manufacturing process.

@Yorkshirelad You've obviously got quite a negative view of Focus & Rutland for (very) understandable reasons. Playing devil's advocate for a minute though, I'm guessing every part in an eMTB supply chain right now, is allocated way before it's even made. Entirely possible that a service guy at Focus has intercepted a swingarm within the manufacturing process and thought 'I bet this guy would prefer a replacement swingarm without decals than no swingarm at all!'.

As I say, not jumping to their defence at all. Have you had good service? No. But there's a lot of poor service going on in the eMTB world these days, they got you sorted in some form at least.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
I doubt they're suggesting it's a non-oem swingarm, just that it's a service part and so not got decals, as they are applied later in the manufacturing process.

@Yorkshirelad You've obviously got quite a negative view of Focus & Rutland for (very) understandable reasons. Playing devil's advocate for a minute though, I'm guessing every part in an eMTB supply chain right now, is allocated way before it's even made. Entirely possible that a service guy at Focus has intercepted a swingarm within the manufacturing process and thought 'I bet this guy would prefer a replacement swingarm without decals than no swingarm at all!'.

As I say, not jumping to their defence at all. Have you had good service? No. But there's a lot of poor service going on in the eMTB world these days, they got you sorted in some form at least.
Copied and pasted straight from the email....

The swing arm has been swapped and unfortunately the after market product does not come with the original decals on it I'm afraid.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Copied and pasted straight from the email....

The swing arm has been swapped and unfortunately the after market product does not come with the original decals on it I'm afraid.

They’ve just used the wrong terminology, I can’t imagine there’s a factory anywhere making aftermarket non OEM pattern swing arms for Focus Jam2 bikes.

At least you’re back up and running! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles