jam2 frame broken

Javierb09

Oct 24, 2020
Vigo Espàña
Have somebody claim for warranty of broken frame on Focus jam2?
My bike has got broken after 1,5 years on a welding area of rear frame.
I have sent it to dealer to claim on warranty and after a week they told me warranty has been accepted, but it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get a replacement.
I cannot understand why it takes a replacement of a piece which is mass produced.
Another issue is that I have been trying to contact customer care on Focus and there are noway.

20201018_130918.jpg

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I gave up trying to get them to respond to me when I was trying to buy a bike recently and guessed it would on be worse once I'd bought one so went elsewhere.Sorry to hear of your damage but good luck

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I imagine their priorities are getting whole bikes out for sale, rather than supplying a frame for warranty. Right now it is a seller's market.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Through the weld is a classic area for failure. During production, I would not be at all surprised if the weld area needs to be heated before and after, then cooled at a specific rate to avoid cracks. It only takes a moment's inattention to get it wrong. It is bound to happen and I'm astonished that it doesn't happen more frequently.

The frames may well be mass produced, but they are made on the other side of the world. Unless Focus carry unpainted spares in their warehouse and then get them painted up to order (which I doubt), then the spare will have to come from the same place the frames do. 3-4 weeks sounds quick to me.

Your contract is with the dealer, not Focus. Focus pay them a margin on the bike to deal with issues like this. Why would they waste time engaging with you when your local dealer has their support? However, I agree that they should at least acknowledge your contact, if only to say that your dealer should fix it for you.

Javierb09

Oct 24, 2020
Vigo Espàña
Through the weld is a classic area for failure. During production, I would not be at all surprised if the weld area needs to be heated before and after, then cooled at a specific rate to avoid cracks. It only takes a moment's inattention to get it wrong. It is bound to happen and I'm astonished that it doesn't happen more frequently.

The frames may well be mass produced, but they are made on the other side of the world. Unless Focus carry unpainted spares in their warehouse and then get them painted up to order (which I doubt), then the spare will have to come from the same place the frames do. 3-4 weeks sounds quick to me.

Your contract is with the dealer, not Focus. Focus pay them a margin on the bike to deal with issues like this. Why would they waste time engaging with you when your local dealer has their support? However, I agree that they should at least acknowledge your contact, if only to say that your dealer should fix it for you.
Yes, I know welding areas is where bikes are more critical, but it is supposed they are doing a process approved for mass production after a lot of tests and analysis.
We as customers should not soffering this kind of failures. Production on other side of world is also not an excuse. Thailand or China are able to produce quality items if the brand is requestiong that.
Lastly, I'm not agree that my contract is only with dealer. Manufacturer is who is the responsible to produce quality bikes and to attend final customers. It is the same for every product. You can buy a item on the market, but if the food is on bad conditions the responsible will be the manufacturer and manufacturer could be receiving a penalty from authorities if they don't follow the correct quality procedures. Of course given to final customer his money or product back.
However thank you for responding.

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Have somebody claim for warranty of broken frame on Focus jam2?
My bike has got broken after 1,5 years on a welding area of rear frame.
I have sent it to dealer to claim on warranty and after a week they told me warranty has been accepted, but it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get a replacement.
I cannot understand why it takes a replacement of a piece which is mass produced.
Another issue is that I have been trying to contact customer care on Focus and there are noway.

View attachment 42847
Mine cracked in the exact same place, took the best part of 4 months to get it sorted.

3FFFB783-BC55-4831-9E41-A42D74679869.jpeg

Javierb09

Oct 24, 2020
Vigo Espàña
One week ago bike was received with new frame. Thank you to ny dealer and Focus to meet the 3 or 4 weeks lead time promissed.
I hope next time to make new posts to show the good quality and enj
oiable of Focus Jam2.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, I know welding areas is where bikes are more critical, but it is supposed they are doing a process approved for mass production after a lot of tests and analysis.
We as customers should not soffering this kind of failures. Production on other side of world is also not an excuse. Thailand or China are able to produce quality items if the brand is requestiong that.
Lastly, I'm not agree that my contract is only with dealer. Manufacturer is who is the responsible to produce quality bikes and to attend final customers. It is the same for every product. You can buy a item on the market, but if the food is on bad conditions the responsible will be the manufacturer and manufacturer could be receiving a penalty from authorities if they don't follow the correct quality procedures. Of course given to final customer his money or product back.
However thank you for responding.
Frame cracks must be really upsetting to experience and I agree that we should not have to experience this at all. But what is made by man is seldom perfect and it would cost too much to try to achieve perfection. What matters is how the problem is dealt with. Focus told you 3-4 weeks and they stuck to it. I think that is a good outcome.
I did not offer production on the other side of the word as an excuse, merely an explanation as to why it would take 3-4 weeks to get a new frame. I am still surprised it was as quick as 3-4 weeks.
Ref the contract: In UK law (and that maybe also EU law, I don't know for sure) your contract is with who you paid the money to. They may not be directly responsible for the fault, but they are accountable in law to resolve the issue for you. However, many manufacturers can be flexible on this matter. I bought a bike from YT industries in Germany (me in UK) and the Reverb dropper failed (USA manufacturer). Instead of dealing with Germany, I contacted the UK agent for the Reverb and they were happy to deal with me. (Well actually, not sure about the word "happy", but they did deal with me and that was the important factor). But the agent would have been within their legal rights to refer me back to who I paid my money to.

I am really happy that you got a good outcome so rapidly. :)

chay

Nov 3, 2021
Australia
Hi All,

My frame was also cracked at the exact same spot. Swingarm triangle...drive side.
Have the bike for 1.5 years...done about 3000km. Heard it crack when landing a jump.
Seems like a common issue with the Jam2 Alloy frame. Suggest everyone to check regularly.

It has been 2 months, still waiting for the replacement frame. (Based in Australia).
I do love how the bike rides....but may upgrade the bike to something else when the frame is replaced.

1635978650163.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles