Jam2 - Exposed Cables Near Rear Tyre

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Hi Everyone,

I have just picked up my 2020 Jam2 6.8 Nine ( what a bike - love it)

I have notice the hydraulic cable for brakes and the cable for the gears are exposed. As the cables come out of the frame & before they feed back into the rear triangle and are near the rear tyre and to me potentially look vulnerable from being damaged. See photos

Is this normal on everyone’s Jam2? Any solutions?

Thank you, appreciate your help
622A617B-4BF1-47AB-9005-99CDAAB85F8B.jpeg
FCAA5F32-9191-4E99-B63B-D69085311F86.jpeg
3BA3F609-2C8F-4EF8-910A-440DA5D27345.jpeg

306FCB00-8A48-4630-89F1-73C658DED17B.jpeg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Mine's the same. It's bloody awful for clogging up with the sticky mud on our local trails and the cables get in the way of poking the mess out with a stick.

Happily it doesn't rain too much to have been an issue more than a couple of times, but I'd be concerned if I lived somewhere wetter.

I guess stone strikes off the tyres won't be a problem, given the direction of wheel rotation, but it still does look like a weak point. It annoys my engineering instincts.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I have Trek Rail and the cables are in pretty much the same position.
Apart from collecting debris, haven't caused any problems

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Mine's the same. It's bloody awful for clogging up with the sticky mud on our local trails and the cables get in the way of poking the mess out with a stick.

Happily it doesn't rain too much to have been an issue more than a couple of times, but I'd be concerned if I lived somewhere wetter.

I guess stone strikes off the tyres won't be a problem, given the direction of wheel rotation, but it still does look like a weak point. It annoys my engineering instincts.

Thanks for the reply & I agree its a weak point.

From a design perspective, its the fore-hought and the little things that make a difference!

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
I have Trek Rail and the cables are in pretty much the same position.
Apart from collecting debris, haven't caused any problems

Thats good to hear it hasnt caused any issues and I hope I can report the same....the whole time I have the bike!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks for the reply & I agree its a weak point.

From a design perspective, its the fore-hought and the little things that make a difference!

Yup, surprised me too, given that Focus reckon they are a company of bike enthusiasts. This bit didn't really seem that well thought out. I can only assume that the possible alternatives would have added to the cost and they would have missed a price point.

That said, I've done 863km (just checked!) without damage - other than the rear wheel twice getting so clogged with mud that it locked solid.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@PJ27 I have a 2019 Jam2 9.6 NINE. It is essentially the same bike as yours because the rear triangle is alloy, like yours. I cannot see any cables from above as on your bike. On my bike there are some cable guides underneath the chainstays that have a small ziptie through them that hold the cables underneath the chainstays and out of harm's way. It could be worth putting the bike upside down and taking a closer look. A couple of zipties and your problem could be over! :)

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Mine is the same but after 1800 miles no trouble but to be safe you need this mod.
Simple innertube section glued / taped to end of Mudhugger keeps most of the crud out ....
and this year has been the king of all crud!!
rubber mudguard extension.JPG

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Glad you have had no drama and hope it continues. Been out twice and done 60kms and loving it. First mountain bike in 15 years!

Understand what you mean about the tyres, when these Maxxis Rekons wear pout I will be changing to something with more grip. Really like the tan sidewalls though!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles