Jam2 changes to go from 140mm to 150mm rear travel

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I was wondering what changes were made to the newer Focus Jam2 rear suspension to gain an extra 10mm of travel in the newer bike compared to my 2018 (140 to 150mm). Or was this just a marketing ploy and "fake". I'm thinking if it's real it's just a different pivot part since they didn't change the metric shock size of 210mmX55mm. Just curious if anyone knows. Thanks.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It would not be "fake" in that it never happened. There are too many people out there who would measure it and take great pleasure in outing the supplier.
To get an extra 10mm rear travel without changing the shock, they will have made a very small change to the leverage ratio of the rear suspension. Maybe all they had to do was to move very slightly the position of one of the pivots, or make the chain stay slightly longer. Maybe a bit of both (or several).

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
It would not be "fake" in that it never happened. There are too many people out there who would measure it and take great pleasure in outing the supplier.
To get an extra 10mm rear travel without changing the shock, they will have made a very small change to the leverage ratio of the rear suspension. Maybe all they had to do was to move very slightly the position of one of the pivots, or make the chain stay slightly longer. Maybe a bit of both (or several).
Yes just a slight change in the pivot design and hole location, etc. would do it. I searched around for the pivot part number on the newer bikes but didn't find anything. I think the older parts explosion drawing I found has the pivot part number but it's unclear if that is the pivot or the bearing set part number...says "pivot". The 2018 sam2 is a different part number so maybe it is the pivot. As if I could ever order the 150mm travel pivot in the USA anyway, lol. And as if it would even make a discernable difference for me. This is just characteristic of a retired mechanical engineer with too much time on his hands I think, lol. Still trying to decide if going to 160mm travel on the forks is going to be too much or even noticeable over 150mm with a new Lyrik Ultimate. Analysis paralysis, lol. Both sizes are back ordered these days anyway. I'm now just leaning towards keeping it at 150mm and 51mm offset, which seems to be a perfect combination for slow turning technical riding, rocks, etc.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
unless you are racing, more travel is the way to go. Your climbing may not be as fast or as easy, but most people don't seem to mind the trade-off for a more capable bike.
I kept it at 150mm and really glad I did. The 2021 Lyrik Ultimate sits at least 10mm higher due to not losing some negative volume travel initially and also sits higher though out it's travel since it has much better mid-range support. I even ended up lowering my stem 20 mm. The bike really isn't meant to be a long travel bike and while I'm sure 160 would have worked out, this way it stills makes those tight slow turns manageable while taking harder technical sections well. Less "flop" with 150mm and 51mm offset too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles