Jam2 9.6 Plus . Suggestions for fork upgrade

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Looking to upgrade forks on my 9.6 plus.
Suggestions please.
Sizing is a minefield, and are the bike specific?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You can upgrade a Rev to a Pike by changing the damper to a Charger 2.1.

Sprung or TFTuned will be able to help you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Rockshox Revelation RC.

I have that fork, with the Debonair spring. My previous bikes both had Pikes and initially I was unhappy with the Revelation and I was planning on fitting a Charger damper when it went in for a service. But then I read on this forum that unless the fork is inflated in a series of stages exactly as the Rockshox website says, then the fork will never be as good as it should be. So I did that and it was a lot better. Next step was to look at tuning the air spring. I removed the only spacer and the total difference was very noticeable, at zero cost.
I no longer plan to add a Charger damper that will cost over £200.
If you have done neither of the above two steps, then have a go, it won't cost anything unless you have to add one or more spacers to the fork. But the spacers are cheap, very cheap compared to a Charger damper.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
I have that fork, with the Debonair spring. My previous bikes both had Pikes and initially I was unhappy with the Revelation and I was planning on fitting a Charger damper when it went in for a service. But then I read on this forum that unless the fork is inflated in a series of stages exactly as the Rockshox website says, then the fork will never be as good as it should be. So I did that and it was a lot better. Next step was to look at tuning the air spring. I removed the only spacer and the total difference was very noticeable, at zero cost.
I no longer plan to add a Charger damper that will cost over £200.
If you have done neither of the above two steps, then have a go, it won't cost anything unless you have to add one or more spacers to the fork. But the spacers are cheap, very cheap compared to a Charger damper.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Thanks. My Revelations are already bottoming out, if I remove a spacer isn't this going to make things worse?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I would then go a but higher in pressure (80-90), so you dont bottom out.
Do you do many jumps or ride agressivly ?
Has the fork been serviced ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have you set the sag correctly? How do you know 70psi is the correct pressure for your weight?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks. My Revelations are already bottoming out, if I remove a spacer isn't this going to make things worse?

Yes it will, therefore you should consider adding one or two, or more up to the maximum stipulated by Rockshox. My problem was the opposite, in that I wasn't using as much of the travel as I wanted. But you are 77kg, I'm 92kg.
(I did say in my answer "it won't cost anything unless you have to add one or more spacers to the fork. But the spacers are cheap, very cheap compared to a Charger damper.") I suspect that you will be astonished at the difference in the Revelation when you add some spacers. The Rockshox website for the Revelation will tell you what the max number of spacers is that you can use.

Your problem may not be fixed by just swapping to a Pike. I had to add three spacers to a Pike on a YT Capra. Only then was it very good.

It is always better to get the best you can from the fork you have , with cheap and simple steps, before you consider spending serious money. :)

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
I would then go a but higher in pressure (80-90), so you dont bottom out.
Do you do many jumps or ride agressivly ?
Has the fork been serviced ?
If I increase the pressure then my sag is set incorrect according to the markings on the side of my fork leg..
I do ride jumps, but don't consider myself an aggressive rider

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Have you set the sag correctly? How do you know 70psi is the correct pressure for your weight?
I use the markings on the side of the fork leg to set the sag. It just happens that 70psi is what is needed to set the sag.
It could be 300psi if thats what is needed...... Just happens to work out 70psi is what gets me correct sag. Albeit does seem low.
Just not happy with the Revelations after riding a Commencal with Yaris. Very very plush. I know different bikes, but the Yaris felt very nice.....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If I increase the pressure then my sag is set incorrect according to the markings on the side of my fork leg..

I use those as a guide when first inflating the fork. Thereafter, I alter the psi to get the %sag I'm looking for, then altered again to get the ride feel I'm looking for.

A lot of the difference between what Rockshox recommend and what you get is down to your body position when setting the %sag, maybe your setting procedure, and maybe some is down to a brand new fork being a bit sticky.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles