Jam2 6.8 nine derestricted with speedbox 3.0

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
I have plugged the speedbox into my jam2. (Bosch cx performance)
OMG ! Double fun.
Inbetween trails, easily 35 km/h. With effort, speed up to 55 km/h, which is too fast.... I know... (had to try),
Off Road, no difference, but on flat area, speed up to 28 km/h depending on the gear.
On the streets and gravel : this thing is a rocket !
Installation was easy, took me 10 minutes.
You do need a crank remover.
BD218E53-EB95-40D3-AEF2-7607115EF17E.jpeg
E8C79DDC-B9B2-4B6C-A918-26E8A0BA594B.jpeg
89C07CDA-2B5D-467D-A3D7-31DB7CD073FC.jpeg

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hmmm very intersting.
I’m running mine with 27.5 wheels and so so I can only get about 14mph out of mine.

How much have you used it?
Cheers

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
Hmmm very intersting.
I’m running mine with 27.5 wheels and so so I can only get about 14mph out of mine.

How much have you used it?
Cheers
I installed it a few days ago. If I start up : everything normal. restricted as before, but when I push the magic button ... I fly straight to the moon.
Speedbox made the 3.0 to bypass the new software. They claim to have tested it for many many miles. No error.
So, all I can say : I have been riding today and met my friend on a Stromer St3. On a safe strip, I was riding 55 km/h, since I set the max at 55. this is too fast. On turbo the bike pushes till you reach the maxspeed. The poor Stromer is no match for the 75 Nm CX performance. Stromer only has 42 Nm.

you know, it’s not about the maximum speed, but 25 km/h is too slow on the road. so I am happy with a cruising speed of 35 km/h which makes it much more attractive.

also the speedbox is not visible at all and without pushing the secret button, it is an ordinary emtb.

so far : I am happy.

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
update : after 400 km's with speedbox.
No issues at all.
perfect.
it's amazing how fast you get used to the higher velocity.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Would I be correct to assume that the speedbox mod has invalidated your warranty? I'm not asking whether you care or not, nor having a go at you at all. I'd just like to know. :)

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
Would I be correct to assume that the speedbox mod has invalidated your warranty? I'm not asking whether you care or not, nor having a go at you at all. I'd just like to know. :)

Every modification to yourbike is an argument for invalidation of waranties. The speedbox is certainly no exception.

So if the motor is dead, with the speedbox attached, I wont get a new one.
Dead without speedbox (removable) : not sure if it is so obvious. Of course, your KIOX display remembers the max speeds. So this one might need a reset. Which is not an abnormal action when the motor is defect, since the first thing everybody does is reset, due to years of Microsoft Windows conditioning (ctr-alt-del, you remember ?)

I understand what you are saying, but if you buy a EMTB, which is all about retaining your FREEDOM when you get older or after an injury which restricted your sport possibilities.

Why should the assistance be restricted to a ridiculous 25km/h. At this speed, I cannot go out with regular MTB-er, because they ride +30 on the road.

I believe that the cost-benefit analysis is personal matter (cost : losing warranty and money, benefit : more speed, fun, ...)

Problem I see : There is no prohibition on use for little children.
I clearly would not want my young children to ride an ebike at hight speeds in todays traffic.

On the other hand, one can ask oneself whether we need laws for every possible undesired outcome.

In yachting, for instance, the number of accidents are very very low. If you don't believe me, check the insurance rates for yachts : remarkably low.
So for decades you could buy a yacht without license or need to go to school.
Yes, you could take her to sea Mr. Murdoch and enjoy yourself.
Today, because some poticians had a sudden urge to profile themselves, they proposed a legislation on yachting.
Arguments pro were of course all the possible undesired accidents that could take place at sea (but did not)... So, people who didn't sail, found it absolutely reasonable to implement new rules and restrictions for sailing.
Besides, why would you buy an expensive yacht in the first place?
It goes without saying that yachting is labelled as posh, so no sympathy at all for the yachting "class". So that certainly did not help the case.

And the same applies to windsurfing, kiting, jogging after dusk, etc...jeu de boules ;) and e-mtb.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
While I can appreciate that the speed box can help to break your 25km/h barrier raising it to a more reasonable 35kmh and as you suggest beyond. However I do have an issue with the beyond part based on the mechanical advantage of the gear ratio's and cadence necessary to go 55km/h with a typical mtb drivetrain which for the sake of argument is generally 32/11 for the highest gear range.

According to this:
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 10.55.49 AM.png

in order to sustain 55km/h the cranks would have to be spinning at 130rpm which is hamster wheel territory. This doesn't factor in air resistance that multiplies exponentially at speeds above 35km/h.

Not calling out the OP but ever curious, as to even Speed Pedelecs, how they get to the 45km/h limit and their ability to stay there without the proper gear ratio's to allow for effective human input at the crank's to help it out.

I know this because I have 1000w front hub motor bikes, with no PAS allowing me to pedal in whatever gear I want, legal here in OR where I live as the Class Laws have not been adopted here, that will average 55km/h, not legal, until the battery depletes, which @ 30 wh/mi doesn't take long. I use Schlumpf High Speed drives that have a 2.25/1 overdrive that with my 27t (x 2.25/1)/11t gear ratio is almost twice what a stock eMTB has. At 55km/h the motor is maxed out wattage wise and in the almost 160" gear I am still able to be in sync with it at a comfortable 90rpm cadence.

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine : Highest gear : 34/10. With 29 inch wheels the bike goes 7.87 meters with one complete rotation.
One rotation/second gives me 60 x 60 x 7.87 meters = 28,33 km/h
two rotations/second ==> +/- 56 km/h.
The transmission efficiency in turbo mode = +/- 340%
rider + bicycle weight = 108 kg
Watts required from rider : 237

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Focus Jam2 6.8 Nine : Highest gear : 34/10. With 29 inch wheels the bike goes 7.87 meters with one complete rotation.
One rotation/second gives me 60 x 60 x 7.87 meters = 28,33 km/h
two rotations/second ==> +/- 56 km/h.
The transmission efficiency in turbo mode = +/- 340%
rider + bicycle weight = 108 kg
Watts required from rider : 237

Two rotations per second = 120 rpm.

At a cadence of 120 rpm, I think I'd be buying a motorbike. Basically for doing 55km/hr or more, you're really looking at a motorbike. Why not just buy one?

Of course, you might have trouble with pretending that it's a bicycle so that you can use the cycle tracks and footpaths but, hey, that's what you are doing now anyway.

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
Two rotations per second = 120 rpm.

At a cadence of 120 rpm, I think I'd be buying a motorbike. Basically for doing 55km/hr or more, you're really looking at a motorbike. Why not just buy one?

Of course, you might have trouble with pretending that it's a bicycle so that you can use the cycle tracks and footpaths but, hey, that's what you are doing now anyway.
Graham, 55 km/h is the maxspeed I've reached during a few seconds. (boys and their toys).
Thanks for the motorcycle tip, but I already own one :).
As I said, on trails, max speed of 25 is perfect.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Graham, 55 km/h is the maxspeed I've reached during a few seconds. (boys and their toys).
Thanks for the motorcycle tip, but I already own one :).
As I said, on trails, max speed of 25 is perfect.

But I'm still a bit puzzled about this, Peter. From what you say, you are perfectly happy with riding the bike offroad at 25km/hr. As such it gets classed as a bicycle under Belgian Law. However, as soon as you get on the road, you switch it to a 55km/hr assistance.

As I understand it, under Belgian Law, this is now classed as a motorcycle (over the 45km/hr speed allowed for mopeds) for which you should be wearing a motorbike helmet and have insurances and number plates because you are, in fact, riding a motorbike. Is there something I don't understand here?

It seems to me that, using your logic, I have free choice as to whether to call my motorbike a bicycle when I ride it on the road. Why should I bother with insurances, homolgation and all that other nonsense?

I really don't understand this except as, I suppose, everyone and anyone is entitled to break the law if they really want to, especially if the individual has decided that the law is silly. Certainly, in my combat pistol shooting days, I met plenty of people with that view. Some of them are even still alive. :unsure:

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
But I'm still a bit puzzled about this, Peter. From what you say, you are perfectly happy with riding the bike offroad at 25km/hr. As such it gets classed as a bicycle under Belgian Law. However, as soon as you get on the road, you switch it to a 55km/hr assistance.

As I understand it, under Belgian Law, this is now classed as a motorcycle (over the 45km/hr speed allowed for mopeds) for which you should be wearing a motorbike helmet and have insurances and number plates because you are, in fact, riding a motorbike. Is there something I don't understand here?

It seems to me that, using your logic, I have free choice as to whether to call my motorbike a bicycle when I ride it on the road. Why should I bother with insurances, homolgation and all that other nonsense?

I really don't understand this except as, I suppose, everyone and anyone is entitled to break the law if they really want to, especially if the individual has decided that the law is silly. Certainly, in my combat pistol shooting days, I met plenty of people with that view. Some of them are even still alive. :unsure:

Graham, I can assure you, I am a decent respectable citizen :). Don't worry, never owned a gun. No plans in this direction. Don't like guns. Hope you needed a gun for your profession...
But maybe the comparison with combat pistols is a slippery slope. I am sure you agree.

So, 55 km/h is the maximum speed I could ride.
Like I stated : this is too fast.
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out how fast the bike could go.
I know .... like a little boy.

Besides, every well trained amateur rider on a racebike can obtain this speed. I don't consider them as felons. They are only enjoying their hobby.
Their freedom ends the moment they start restricting someone else's freedom. (good rule of thumb imo).

On the road 35 cruising speed is nice. Is this acceptable for you ? Because at this speed I can join my well trained friends on their regular mtb's.
Thanks to the speedbox, this is achievable for me.

Your combat pistol shooting days were possible, because maybe in Spain the law allowed it (assuming for the sake of argument that fire arms were/are your hobby).
In Belgium, however, one is not allowed to own or shoot combat fire arms. So, in my country you would be on the 'speedbox'-side of the argument ;)

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Graham, I can assure you, I am a decent respectable citizen :). Don't worry, never owned a gun. No plans in this direction. Don't like guns. Hope you needed a gun for your profession...
But maybe the comparison with combat pistols is a slippery slope. I am sure you agree.

So, 55 km/h is the maximum speed I could ride.
Like I stated : this is too fast.
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out how fast the bike could go.
I know .... like a little boy.

Besides, every well trained amateur rider on a racebike can obtain this speed. I don't consider them as felons. They are only enjoying their hobby.
Their freedom ends the moment they start restricting someone else's freedom. (good rule of thumb imo).

On the road 35 cruising speed is nice. Is this acceptable for you ? Because at this speed I can join my well trained friends on their regular mtb's.
Thanks to the speedbox, this is achievable for me.

Your combat pistol shooting days were possible, because maybe in Spain the law allowed it (assuming for the sake of argument that fire arms were/are your hobby).
In Belgium, however, one is not allowed to own or shoot combat fire arms. So, in my country you would be on the 'speedbox'-side of the argument ;)
I am sure you are a nice chap and you can try and justify the situation however you want, but the fact is that the EU legal limit for EMTB's is 25km/h and what you are doing on roads with a 35km/h assist is illegal. If you ever have an accident as a result of this then you are basically screwed, especially if someone else is injured or you hit a car. I'm not trying to police you, just stating facts.

Last edited:

petermad

Jan 24, 2020
belgium
I am sure you are a nice chap and you can try and justify the situation however you want, but the fact is that the EU legal limit for EMTB's is 25km/h and what you are doing on roads with a 35km/h assist is illegal. If you ever have an accident as a result of this then you are basically screwed, especially if someone else is injured or you hit a car. I'm not trying to police you, just stating facts.
Emtbehave,
yes, the speedbox is illegal on public roads. I think we all agree.
(Problem with a forum-formula is that every answer is connected to a prior remark or question.)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Every modification to yourbike is an argument for invalidation of waranties. The speedbox is certainly no exception.

So if the motor is dead, with the speedbox attached, I wont get a new one.
Dead without speedbox (removable) : not sure if it is so obvious. Of course, your KIOX display remembers the max speeds. So this one might need a reset. Which is not an abnormal action when the motor is defect, since the first thing everybody does is reset, due to years of Microsoft Windows conditioning (ctr-alt-del, you remember ?)

I understand what you are saying, but if you buy a EMTB, which is all about retaining your FREEDOM when you get older or after an injury which restricted your sport possibilities.

Why should the assistance be restricted to a ridiculous 25km/h. At this speed, I cannot go out with regular MTB-er, because they ride +30 on the road.

I believe that the cost-benefit analysis is personal matter (cost : losing warranty and money, benefit : more speed, fun, ...)

Problem I see : There is no prohibition on use for little children.
I clearly would not want my young children to ride an ebike at hight speeds in todays traffic.

On the other hand, one can ask oneself whether we need laws for every possible undesired outcome.

In yachting, for instance, the number of accidents are very very low. If you don't believe me, check the insurance rates for yachts : remarkably low.
So for decades you could buy a yacht without license or need to go to school.
Yes, you could take her to sea Mr. Murdoch and enjoy yourself.
Today, because some poticians had a sudden urge to profile themselves, they proposed a legislation on yachting.
Arguments pro were of course all the possible undesired accidents that could take place at sea (but did not)... So, people who didn't sail, found it absolutely reasonable to implement new rules and restrictions for sailing.
Besides, why would you buy an expensive yacht in the first place?
It goes without saying that yachting is labelled as posh, so no sympathy at all for the yachting "class". So that certainly did not help the case.

And the same applies to windsurfing, kiting, jogging after dusk, etc...jeu de boules ;) and e-mtb.
As an FYI in the UK you have to be 14 or over to ride an E-Bike:

"You can ride an electric bike in England, Scotland and Wales if you’re 14 or over, as long as it meets certain requirements.

These electric bikes are known as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured"

Electric bikes: licensing, tax and insurance

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
With the speedbox on the latest bosch gen4 does the speed and odometer display correctly on the screen or is it out by a factor?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles