I've been lent a Quarq ShockWiz

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Today, after our ride, my mate gave me a plastic bag with a Quarq ShockWiz in it! :love:

It's not his, so I can't keep it. :(
I know what it is and I'm looking forward to playing with it. To he honest I'm hoping that it will say "no change required", other wise I'll feel a little bit sad that my suspension setting expertise actually isn't as good as I thought it was! But if it makes the ride better, I'll take it! :)

It comes without instructions and I know that I have to download an app. But I have yet to Google or anything. I'm sure that there will be loads of useful stuff to find.

Any tips?

ShockWiz.jpg

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I found it to be very useful to confirm I’d gotten the basics right & it fine tuned my suspension to a better overall feel. No doubt there are ppl who don’t need them but for a layman, I think their a good tool. Start with your forks, checking the initial compression ratio is the hard part of the process (asking a friend to help would be a good idea), after that it just lots of riding to get a good samples for it to process (a lot easier on an Ebike!)

Their own videos cover everything

Oh and as you add pressure, my shock pump read higher than the read out from the shockwiz via the app, I assume this is due to you overcoming the internal valves within the device.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks @myapes and @z1ppy for those links, they have saved me some time. :)

I have already put the app on my phone and paired it to the ShockWiz.

All I have to do now is to clean and lube the bike, fix the howling brake pads ("disco inferno" I think), bleed the rear brake, and bed in the brake pads. Then I can attach the ShockWiz, do the calibration and set up. THEN I can go ride! Really looking forward to it (excited)! I love playing with new kit. :love:

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Dosen't matter if you start with front or rear.

Tip;
use a well known path you can repeat, with different types of riding style....fast, slow, uphill, downhill, rocks, roots, bumby, jumpy, etc.
Use this to get your settings done.
Concentrate and go as fast as you can...and be prepared to change your settings.
Some suggestions you cannot fix....just ignore them.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I’m pretty sure doing the fork first, was a shockwiz recommendation, though I forget where from. Whether it matters, who know’s.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
You should actually move it to the other end, when finished.
Adjustments in 1 end, can impact the other end.
So you have to go forward/backward a couple of times, until there is no more adjustment suggestions (which there will be - trust me...)
It's quite fun to do, if you have the time.

I have settings for my local trail, and a complete different set for my NoveMestoPodSmrkem trails :)

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
Alternate viewpoint: Don't believe its lies.

I've owned three Shockwiz's that I move between bikes since they came out. Means I can do fork and shock at the same time. Means I can do GF's bike and get feedback where she doesn't feel forthcoming herself in expressing an opinion on all that boring technical stuff.

The answer you get out of Shockwiz depends so much on the input you are putting into the bike (riding aggression + terrain) that the results are meaningless unless you parse the findings with an honest assessment of how you rode the test session.

If you are not an aggressive rider, the Shockwiz algorithms will tend to have you soften the suspension so that you achieve arbitrary scoring criteria such as occasional use of full travel. This is bogus. The demonstrable lack of repeatability is the giveaway that all is not straightforward. I can take my settings and ride the same trails at two levels of commitment (backed off vs. pinned) and get two different results back from Shockwiz.

But there is *some* measurement and feedback coming from the app. You just need to factor it into the other received feedback you're getting from your primary senses and not abdicating responsibility to a pressure sensor. Basic tuning rules apply. Take notes. Ride multiple laps. Write down your subjective impressions. While viewing your results, swap between the "tuning styles" and see how the findings adjust based on the style you choose. I usually end up getting a equal highest score on firm/active and firm/poppy.

In general my settings on the latest iterations of Rockshox Lyrik to exactly align with their recommendations from the Trailhead Rockshox page. This just gives you pressure and rebound but I would start here and be astonished if I had to change by more than 10psi or 2 clicks. I'll dial in LSC to taste.

The other tuning objective that I spend a huge amount of time chasing is pedalling performance. It absolutely is a fine balancing act to get a bike you can pedal actively over rough terrain. When you get it wrong you can get kickback and get thrown off the pedals after a few pedal strokes. When you get it right you can get a calmness even as you put down the power. Pedalling isn't the only way to generate speed so you need support as well to pump terrain. When it's good it's really good.

Last factor is balance. Tuning each end individually and ignoring how both ends of the bike work together is a hiding to nothing.

Caveat: the above is my experience with analog bikes; the extra weight of the eMTB may make Shockwiz magically more accurate. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a Shockwiz, just that you should be on your guard that its recommendations are just that: recommendations only.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Interesting. Why front first, is it a ShockWiz recco? :)
I was going to start with the shock, because I have more concerns about it.
No real reason I just tend to sort the forks out first. if you are unsure about the shock then sure start there. You need to ride some varied terrain to get it Dailed in though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I decided to do the fork first. Bloody hell, it takes some time to install and get it set up! Took me an hour!!

The hardest part was fully compressing the fork and fully extending it (to establish the fork compression ratio). Each time holding the position for at least 3 seconds. Not so hard you would think, just let all the air out? But if you let too much out you get a message saying to put some air in because the pressure difference between the two extremes is too small to measure. I found some of the instructions a bit cryptic, which may have led to a poor set up. Still not sure. :unsure:

I put 110psi in the fork, which was the pressure I had before. The ShockWiz reported that I had 136psi in it! Not sure how important that is. (Edit: I remembered to add the 110psi in the manner suggested by Rockshox, ie not just pump up and go).

Anyway it worked fine on the trails today. (Or did it? :unsure:)

I did a wide range of trail features and lots of them. When I stopped to check how I was getting on I had 76% on the confidence score. ShockWiz says you need at least 50% before making any recommended changes. Good enough!

It suggested that I increase low speed compression damping by one click and to increase rebound damping by one click. Also, to add more air (I added 5%). High speed compression damping and high speed rebound damping I don't have, but they were fine (green). It made no recco on air tuning (spacers) because it didn't have enough data. To get the data it wanted me to do some big jumps and drops. I didn't have the time, but I was OK with the number of spacers in the fork anyway.

I then cancelled all the records (because I had changed the fork set up) and started again. This time I got a row of greens, but still not enough data on the air tuning. But then the ShockWiz stopped talking to my phone and I suspect that it needs a new battery (the SW, not the phone).

I will replace the battery and try again. But as I now know the fork compression ratio, I'll just dial that in and skip all the hard work determining it all over again. I'm still unsure what the significance of "the baseline fork pressure" is. I wondered why it was 136psi when I only put 110psi in the fork. I wondered if it was the max pressure when fully compressed. Does anyone know for sure?

Overall
I was surprised at how long it took to set up the system.
Would have been quicker with an enthusiastic assistant.
I was pleased that it didn't suggest serious changes (my ego would have suffered). :giggle:
It may be my imagination, but the fork does feel better. I need to ride it again to be certain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My pump and ShockWiz reading is very similar.
Try another pump to verify.
Yep the guy I borrowed it from said the same when I asked him.
I have confidence in my shock pump, what I don't have confidence in is the way I set up the ShockWiz! The app takes you through the set up procedure, but when it came to establishing the "baseline fork pressure", it wasn't clear to me what I was supposed to do. That may be where I made a mistake. I need to read the 74 page manual rather than just watch the videos or listen to the app because the manual should have more info. (I should blinking well hope so, 74 pages!!!!)

Once I have fitted a new battery I'll have another go. The guy I borrowed it from fitted a new battery too and he only played with it for a few weeks. But the green flashing light that indicates its awake, turned to red, then stopped working, so it's probably the battery.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I just follow'd the in-app calibration wizard.
Or you can maybe lookup the number and just type it in manually.
I allways just do the calibration....it's just 1 time pr unit and dosent take too long.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have now read the 74 page manual, watched three videos and visited the ShockWiz home page to check the Q&A pages and for a general read around. (All so you don't have to!)

I have just changed the battery and repeated the installation and calibration. This time I knew the fork compression ratio and just input it. WOW! that is so much quicker! Like ten mins. The calibration wizard took me straight to "establish baseline pressure". That had caused me problems before, because I didn't understand what the graphic was telling me. This time I stood next the bike and just bounced the front of the bike up and down quite rapidly. My enthusiastic assistant started the 3 second timer, and we were done! :)

I have to accept the fundamental difference between what the ShockWiz is telling me the fork pressure is and what my shock pump tells me that I put in. My %sag is still correct, so my shock pump hasn't suddenly gone wrong. Seeing as others have got close agreement between this ShockWiz and their shock pumps, then I have to accept that my shock pump does not read correctly.:( Although it remains consistent. :)

All ready for the next ride now. :)

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I had two analog shock pumps, a canyon one that came with my spectral and another I bought from chai reaction for around £15. Both gave similar consistent readings, but read significantly lower than my shockwiz. I then bought a Syncros SP1 digital pump which is pretty much spot on with the shockwiz.

The only change to my suspension setup with the shockwiz was to add token to my shock (which I kinda knew anyway). I'm no suspension guru but had setup as per the GMBN videos which seemed to be spot on. I have since sold the shockwiz and just use the setup guides and small adjustments based on feel. Works for me

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok, done the second ride, but this time with the ShockWiz set up properly. The suggestions it made on the first ride had been implemented.
It reversed the suggestions it made before! So I returned the air pressure (ie %sag) to what it was before, and the low speed compression damping. It kept the slow speed rebound (one click slower) and I was OK with that. I don't have high speed rebound or compression damping but it was still OK with them both.

The net result after two rides was one click more of rebound damping. I've got mixed feelings about that. On the one hand it was a lot of work and faff. But it was a new and interesting experience and of course I am (not so) secretly pleased that the end result was so close to what I already had. I will leave the ShockWiz on for one more ride, but without resetting it. This will accumulate more data and may change the suggestions it makes.

Then I'll move on to the shock. I'm glad I did the fork first, because of the learning opportunity. It's the shock that I believe needs the most change and I will be able to deal with it better. It's OK, but I think it needs some air tuning spacers. This should reduce the amount of travel it consumes in my normal riding and should provide more support when climbing. Lets see what Mr ShockWiz has to say. I will report back.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've had very good success with my ShockWiz on my Pivot Shuttle and on my Santa Cruz Hightower. But I wanted to share a huge cautionary item here - a lot of users aren't that familiar not only with suspension setup, but also with some of the basics of suspension tuning and maintenance. One area I've seen many screw up is not properly refilling the shock/fork after running through the ShockWiz calibration. Specifically, not following proper procedures to equalize negative air chambers/systems in shocks/forks that have them. It's ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to get that right.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
......... One area I've seen many screw up is not properly refilling the shock/fork after running through the ShockWiz calibration. Specifically, not following proper procedures to equalize negative air chambers/systems in shocks/forks that have them. It's ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to get that right.

Agreed! :)
I have definitely inflated the fork correctly, as per instructions on the Rockshox website. When the bike was delivered it had just been pumped up and left. This became clear later. After advice on this Forum I checked the correct procedure and inflated correctly. Before that, I had been thinking about installing the Charger 2 damper upgrade, but changed my mind after the correct inflation procedure and doing some air spring tuning.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've just set up the ShockWiz on the shock. It was easier to do I thought than the fork was. I only had to do it once, but I still failed to establish the baseline shock pressure at the first attempt. But now I knew that I didn't have to go through the whole process all over again. Because I now knew the shock ratio, I could skip all the hard work establishing it and just enter it in. In fact I didn't even have to type it, as it had recorded the reading and all I had to do was to OK it. :)

What I am expecting is that it will advise me to add some spacers to add some mid stroke support to the air spring. I only have rebound damping adjustment on the Rockshox Deluxe R Debonair, so I only have three things I can alter (air, slow speed rebound, air tune).

Ready for a ride tomorrow, but only after eating my Xmas dinner at the local Village Hall! :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well that was interesting, and unexpected.

With a 92% shock tuning score and a 76% confidence level, it recommended no changes to low and high speed rebound damping, air pressure, or air tuning. It did recommend that I soften the low and high speed compression, but I can't alter those anyway on this shock.

It did however report dynamic sag at 37%. Hmmm. :unsure:

Edit: I've thought about this for a while and I'm going to increase the air pressure in my shock, reset the ShockWiz and do another test ride.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Well that was interesting an unexpected.

With a 92% shock tuning score and a 76% confidence level, it recommended no changes to low and high speed rebound damping, air pressure, or air tuning. It did recommend that I soften the low and high speed compression, but I can't alter those anyway on this shock.

It did however report dynamic sag at 37%. Hmmm. :unsure:

Which shock doesn't have any adjustable compression settings?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What did it miss, to go to 100% confidence ?

I allways go to the 100....
The "shock tuning score" is akin to the multiple types of type of terrain that the suspension "needs" to demonstrate to the ShockWiz that it can do, or fail to do what is required. As far as I can tell, the "confidence level" is keyed to the number of events, the higher the better.

With a 92% shock tuning score, the ShockWiz was not suggesting that I do anything in particular next. It wasn't, for example, suggesting that I find some large jumps or drops to ride or ride a rocky or rooty trail. So I don't know what it had missed. (Maybe it just wanted more of the same)?

I agree that a 100% confidence level would be better than a 76% confidence level, but it was getting dark, so I ended the ride. ShockWiz advises not to take account of any suggestions below 50%. As I said above, I will be adding some air to the shock, reset the ShockWiz, and then repeat the test ride.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Honestly the limited adjustability of that particular shock will greatly limit how much the ShockWiz can help get it dialed.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Honestly the limited adjustability of that particular shock will greatly limit how much the ShockWiz can help get it dialed.

I agree, but right now all I want to do is make it the best it can be.

If the end result is that the LSC and HSC need firming a bit, I can ask the shock tuner to do it when it goes in for a service (some time in January).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles