It's worth playing with the power settings

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I'd always found the bottom two power settings on my Fathom a bit weak, so I would have to use "Normal" mode (175%). I went into tuning and saw #1 and #2 were on their minimums creating quite a power jump between #2 and #3. I ramped them all up to max, and now I can do my local loop comfortably on a lower power setting.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I think it is. I use different wheel sizes, ride through different terrains and sometimes I ride with my kid in a bike seat attached to the frame, so I tend to move between 50% and 75% for plain roads and 125%-150% when going uphill. The rest of the modes are always set to 200, 300, 350 and I use them only when riding the mountain alone :D

percymon

Oct 14, 2020
UK
The tuning allows for all riders, those that are capable and willing to put in the effort to those who need as much help as they can get for their ability. I have mine tuned down on the lower assist levels, as factory in the mid to high, and max on turbo mode. I can't say detuning makes any real difference to the range in each PAS mode though

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Depends how lazy/tired I am. I try and stay on 1 for the flats at 100%. And the up to 3/4 for anything short and steep.

I had a fiddle when I got it. I thinks I’ll have a Summer vs Winter setting. Summer requires lower assistance settings and Winter requires more.

Nice to have the choice I guess.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'd always found the bottom two power settings on my Fathom a bit weak, so I would have to use "Normal" mode (175%). I went into tuning and saw #1 and #2 were on their minimums creating quite a power jump between #2 and #3. I ramped them all up to max, and now I can do my local loop comfortably on a lower power setting.
I liked the part about ramping them all up to max, but you lost me with part about riding in lower power settings. Lol.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I liked the part about ramping them all up to max, but you lost me with part about riding in lower power settings. Lol.

I guess what I meant was I used to think I had to ride in 3 because 1 & 2 weren't grunty enough, But by tuning, I can now run in 2 and thereby maybe save some battery (probably negligible) and get more of a workout.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I guess what I meant was I used to think I had to ride in 3 because 1 & 2 weren't grunty enough, But by tuning, I can now run in 2 and thereby maybe save some battery (probably negligible) and get more of a workout.
It's all good. It's my sense of humor that's in question. Being an old motocross guy I like all the power.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Did you guys get the tune to stay saved in the bike ok?

I've got a 2020 Trance and, whilst the app (most recent app on Android, although the older app had exactly the same fault) allows me to change the settings and it does actually change because I can really feel the difference, when I turn the bike off and on again the settings are back to stock.

I want to reduce the assistance, particularly in eco mode, so that range is not limited by having more assistance than I need. Turning it 'off' is like riding through a tar-pit so unless it's a little down hill that's not really an option.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
That looks like a problem with the storage settings of the controller... the ride control one unit I mean...

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Mine is due a new ride control one because the bracket on mine has broken where the hinge pin goes through, so I'll see if the new one fixes it by default.
I wasn't sure if the power settings were stored in the motor or the remote.
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles