It's good to remember our roots.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Our fantastic hobby was enabled originally by an act of public rebellion.

This week commemorates the first UK National Park established in the Derbyshire Peaks following the Kinder Scout mass trespass of 24 April 1932 that enabled access to the countryside for all, on what was until then, the exclusive preserve of aristocratic grouse-shooters.

All worshippers of higher powers should bear in mind... Change doesn't come from the top.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It's a shame some of the walkers around the peak district seem to have forgotten or are not aware how access was gained in the first place, when they tell me off for riding on a footpath.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
It's a shame some of the walkers around the peak district seem to have forgotten or are not aware how access was gained in the first place, when they tell me off for riding on a footpath.
The clue is in the name, fellah. And that's not my point. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought the title was aimed at attracting the Australian members ? On a serious note, I've not read any further, but for ease I'll 100% agree with Hodge agreeing 100% with Mteam.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My missus who is a hairdresser would concur with the title of this thread ..
On a serious note..100% agree with Mteam
It seem especially poignant/disappointing when I get told off for riding where I shouldn't be actually around the kinder scout area.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Sorry Mike, but I disagree a little about the direct link to mtb. PROW existed well before that point and, unless I'm mistaken, the Bridleways and Byways we're supposed to remain on don't look to have substantially changed. I've loved visiting our national parks as a walker, yet with the MTB there is a sense of being a second class citizen, a real shame and unjustified IMO.

Having said that, I'm in agreement with the general principle of the Kinder Scout movement - that our countryside should be about promoting responsible access for all. As such, I'm totally comfortable riding footpaths where it makes sense to do so. I live in hope that we'll adopt the more sensible approach of our northern neighbours.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles