It's been a decade since I last rode a bike

SleepyWill

Jun 19, 2019
Chichester
Hey everyone, I'm Will, and it's Sleepy Will because.. well, I've been bedbound for the best part of a decade after getting ill! Anyway, I've managed to turn the corner with my treatment and I'm delighted to find e-bikes are a thing now because there is no way I could ride a bike otherwise! I tried one out a few weeks ago, then went to a bike festival and tried out every single e-bike they had there. I quickly settled on a full suspension, hardtails caused me too much pain and ended up going for the Levo half-carbon model as a bike I could pick up again by myself if I need to, the right mix of components for my budget and... well... colour :) I went for the red-orange one!

It just arrived today - rather unexpectedly because when I ordered, I was told I would probably be waiting until August, so I'm not at all ready, not least in trying to shift some weight so I'm not too heavy for the thing - when I put in my order I was 120kg's and I'm now down to 112, and I'm quite looking forward to maybe joining you on some of your easier rides!

Two questions, before I embarrass myself in the bike shop, (The last bike I built was a malt 1, at least 15 years ago, probably more) I've no idea how to fit the gear lever and what I believe to be the seat post lever - they don't seem to have any obvious fixing points, and the control panel for the motor does have a loop to fit around the handlebars but it doesn't seem to open up, do I need to remove the grip and do the hair spray trick?

The other question is about the black rubbery plastic stuff on the rear triangle, looks like it's there to protect the frame from the chain - on mine it looks a bit melted in one area, is this something I should ask the bike shop to sort out for me? (Pic included)

17AE4C08-C905-4C6D-AF55-B15A38AA888C.JPG

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I've no idea how to fit the gear lever and what I believe to be the seat post lever - they don't seem to have any obvious fixing points,
The gear lever and seat post levers attach to the clamp of brake lever.
Video of similar lever attachment

... and the control panel for the motor does have a loop to fit around the handlebars but it doesn't seem to open up, do I need to remove the grip and do the hair spray trick?

The brake lever clamp is hinged, undo the bolt on top to remove. The grip has 1 bolt securing it, loosen that and the grip slides off easy. The Turbo Remote slides over end and is fastened to bars using a 2mm or 5/64 Hex key (look for a small hole above the cable on the back), excess cable is just pushed into frame.

Last edited:

AdamDuckworth

Mar 3, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
Hey everyone, I'm Will, and it's Sleepy Will because.. well, I've been bedbound for the best part of a decade after getting ill! Anyway, I've managed to turn the corner with my treatment and I'm delighted to find e-bikes are a thing now because there is no way I could ride a bike otherwise! I tried one out a few weeks ago, then went to a bike festival and tried out every single e-bike they had there. I quickly settled on a full suspension, hardtails caused me too much pain and ended up going for the Levo half-carbon model as a bike I could pick up again by myself if I need to, the right mix of components for my budget and... well... colour :) I went for the red-orange one!

It just arrived today - rather unexpectedly because when I ordered, I was told I would probably be waiting until August, so I'm not at all ready, not least in trying to shift some weight so I'm not too heavy for the thing - when I put in my order I was 120kg's and I'm now down to 112, and I'm quite looking forward to maybe joining you on some of your easier rides!

Two questions, before I embarrass myself in the bike shop, (The last bike I built was a malt 1, at least 15 years ago, probably more) I've no idea how to fit the gear lever and what I believe to be the seat post lever - they don't seem to have any obvious fixing points, and the control panel for the motor does have a loop to fit around the handlebars but it doesn't seem to open up, do I need to remove the grip and do the hair spray trick?

The other question is about the black rubbery plastic stuff on the rear triangle, looks like it's there to protect the frame from the chain - on mine it looks a bit melted in one area, is this something I should ask the bike shop to sort out for me? (Pic included)

View attachment 15137
Nice story Will. Not too dissimilar from my own story (although not a decade but since I got ill in 2014).. The Turbo Levo has transformed my life. I really couldn't ride a normal bike now due to my illness. You'll love it, as I do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles