Its a cover up

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Untested as yet but if it stays on it will help keep the connection clean. Materials were neoprene and heavy duty adhesive velcro. The velcro does not stick very well to neoprene so I used fabric glue. I made 2 velcro covers so a clean one can be fitted whilst the dirty one is washed.

20200228_180723.jpg

20200227_232920.jpg

20200227_232926.jpg

20200227_232933.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Don't think so. I sometimes use neoprene overshoes in very wet conditions....my shoes stay clean and dry. In fact I am not that worried about water. The plug is well protected from water ingress because I keep the O ring seal well lubed and use grease on the mating surface. I am more interested in keeping mud and dust away from it so I do not have to be constantly cleaning it.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
No, you will catch the water in and make it worse ...
Aye. Just recently, as I had an unused Crud Guard, I thought it would make an ideal under frame cover to keep splashes off the motor covers. Two rides, both had water ingress errors flag up in MC. Binned the idea, bikes been fine.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Its a smart idea, but I'd expect water to leak through the Velcro, as Velcro isn't waterproof and then get stuck behind the neoprene. But be interesting to see how it actually works.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
What fabric glue are you using Mike? is it flexible?

I've been working on a neoprene bike cover during the storms and discovered like yourself, it does not stick well at all, snd can't be machine stitches either :(

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Looks like it needs to be a strong bond. For your project I would use Aquasure to bond Neoprene together.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yep...as I said...use Aquasure. The neoprene will rip before the bond.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just as an update, I have used this design of neoprene cover for a year now. No water, mud or dust has penetrated the cover. I made 2 of the covers so I can wash and dry one when it gets plastered in mud.
As an extra bonus it also protects the edge of the battery guard which can be damaged by sticks etc in muddy terrain. That happened to my mate on a ride together. The stick got into the gap between the roseberger plug and the battery guard and the rotating crank then hit it and it snapped a corner off the battery guard.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
10/10 for ingenuity, but why is this even necessary on a well designed emtb?
Well it may not be neoprene held on with velcro but Specialized have recognised that the charging plug is vulnerable and come up with a much better design for the Ver 3 Levo, and waterproofed the new TCU/Computer.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
You could buy the 2022 Levo. New design for that part to keep all moist out... :giggle:
On the other hand. I have about 750 miles on the 2021 Levo Comp in mostly very wet & muddy conditions...never noticed water ingress.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You could buy the 2022 Levo. New design for that part to keep all moist out... :giggle:
On the other hand. I have about 750 miles on the 2021 Levo Comp in mostly very wet & muddy conditions...never noticed water ingress.
Its not just a bout water ingress. My mate has twice had the plug pulled out by sticks on the trail, on one occasion breaking as well his battery bash guard. The cover also keeps the plug area clean.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not sure what you are asking. There are only 3 materials. The neoprene, the velcro and the white stuff is draught excluder used for doors and windows....which you can get from B and Q etc.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Not sure what you are asking. There are only 3 materials. The neoprene, the velcro and the white stuff is draught excluder used for doors and windows....which you can get from B and Q etc.

No, the cover construction is well explained.
I was talking about some sort of seals (marked them with arrows).
Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 23.43.42.png

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
For the Crank spindle I have put a Enduro seal that I had left over from my analog days ... it was the seal that came with en enduro BB bearings ....fits perfect and is flush agains the motor and forms a nice seal on the spindle ... will post a pic later when I get back home

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
For the Crank spindle I have put a Enduro seal that I had left over from my analog days ... it was the seal that came with en enduro BB bearings ....fits perfect and is flush agains the motor and forms a nice seal on the spindle ... will post a pic later when I get back home
Is it available as spare part? Had this kind of seal, but through it away a few years ago (

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia

Which one of these?

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Yes those ... works perfectly on the left side... don’t have a tool to remove the crank spider so have not been able to check that side.

View attachment 56775
Thanks! Now I'll try to find dead BB to strip it )))
On the drive side there a shim, which is greased and permanently pressed when new motor is assembled in frame, so there's no way to extract it or replace it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles