It’s in the details, the bits and bobs you can’t ride without

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
There 2 grades of stans , stans race and regular stans , I read a recent test where stans race came top with cafe latex a close second , but normal stans didn’t do so well . Stans is very overpriced

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Going back to the RevGrips, any possibility to do some sort of group buy from the US?
I would be willing to help out with that, but because they are made in USA and are a relatively small company this isn’t a product a shop makes a significant margin on. So while there would be a savings it would not be significant.

ckay76

Aug 24, 2018
De4 4fx
I looked at that but the bike is set you tubeless all ready so was looking to ditch the tube

Last edited:

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Anyone used slime to go tubeless?
I have been using the new slime pro tlr (not the older slime sealant) with a tubeless set up on Maxis DHF 2.5 WT tires on my 2018 levo with excellent results for the past nine months. Has sealed every puncture and we get a lot of them here with lava rocks including 2 side wall slashes that leaked a bit of sealant in the center of the slash before sealing, that appear to be about 4 mm in length.
I switched to this because in Hawaii both stans and orange seal simply dry out way too fast. Slime will not dry out for the life of the tire so far for me, and that is major.
My only complaint is it is quite sticky, messy stuff compared to the others but I can put up with that for its effectiveness.
Don't get me wrong, I have had to put tire plugs in for some leaks but I had to do that with all other sealants before as well. With the tire plug plus the slime I always get a good seal. Only takes five minutes to stick a plug-in, pump it up, and good to go. Those darn tire plugs are one of the best inventions for mountain bikers ever in my opinion.
I would highly recommend this sealant if you're not worried about the sticky messy cleanup.

Sep 13, 2018
Leominster
I am not talking about major components like brakes, derailleurs, bars, wheels tires etc.
But the small stuff, here’s my examples
MRP Ramp Control.
View attachment 3532
I have these on just about every fork I own. It eliminates the need to take off the air damper cap to add or subtract bottom out tokens.

Shockwiz
View attachment 3533
I originally thought this was a useless waste of money for gadget nerds and that could in no way help me set my suspension up any better than I already did. But after using it for well over a year, it’s made me even better at dialing in my suspension for myself and my customers.

Revgrips
View attachment 3534
Another product that I thought was just hype at first. The idea of grips that rotate on the handlebars seem ludicrous to me. They called them suspension grips. I installed a set for a friend of mine with arthritis. He was able to ride longer without the usual pain he had at the end of the ride. I gave them a try. I no longer have arm pump issues or numbness at the end of the ride. What I once thought was gimmick, is on all of the main bikes I ride.

So what do you all run?
Bought a pair of the thick Revgrips after seeing your post. Was using Brendog Death grip's (Thick) but couldn't get on with them, not much padding and was feeling all the bumps. Revgrips are expensive but feel great. Got stung for 23 earth pounds import tax too so potential buyers bear that in mind.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Revgrips now ordered from the UK?

setchfieldcycles

Pro for £87 delivered, which to be fair is an obscene amount of money for grips. Hope they live up to the hype ... Andrew at the shop said they're putting together another order now, and should be a week or two for delivery.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Revgrips now ordered from the UK?

setchfieldcycles

Pro for £87 delivered, which to be fair is an obscene amount of money for grips. Hope they live up to the hype ... Andrew at the shop said they're putting together another order now, and should be a week or two for delivery.
Like I said before, we spend an obscene amount of money on pedals and saddles, our hands tebfar more important

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
It says on the website that Wolftooth works only with 9, 10, 11 and 12-speed master links and chains. I have a 8-Speed Sram EX-1. Are they so different that its not compatible? Has anyone tried?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need a tool to open any of them. and certainly not an 8 speed one
you simply push the outer chain plates together while sliding each one towards each other. (a bit fiddly if you've never done it before but not difficult)
With 10, 11 and 12 speed quicklinks this takes more force, a shoe lace, gear cable or a ziptie wrapped around the rollers is good enough to pull the pins together opening them.
Handy as it'd be if required. There's actually nothing on that wolftool I'd ever actually have to use.

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
All true...helps keep my pretty fingers flawless. At times its tough, but a shoe string or some sort of strong string can be used to tie and break the master link loose. I used to carry a 12" wire in my bag. This tool is nice just to hold the master links and serve as pliers if needed on the trail. You have the hard core types that don't need any tools...unfortunately, Im one that likes the luxury of having some in my bag. Everything id always a Just in Case with me...I never want to feel like I have to McGuyver everything. Chainbreaker was more important in this case. Had to remove links to put in the new ones.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
helps keep my pretty fingers flawless
You have the hard core types that don't need any tools...unfortunately, Im one that likes the luxury of having some in my bag.
.I never want to feel like I have to McGuyver everything. Chainbreaker was more important in this case. Had to remove links to put in the new ones.
Not really any of those things. I ride a lot and I've only ever had to fix a broken chain on my own bike ONCE in the last 10 years. and that was on my Roadbike which has an Ultegra chain so isn't even equipped with a quick link.
Carrying a quick link tool around on over 2000 rides when it's never going to be needed is just plain stupid as far as I'm concerned.
On each of my bikes I carry a small multitool equipped with a chain tool and each hex/torx size required for that bike along with a tube, CO2+head, patches and a couple of zipties and a small snack bar. Light and basic but actually covers pretty much every eventuality and takes up a tiny amount of room/weight either on the bike in a small frame bag, under the saddle in a neoprene wrap, in the small pocket of a waterbottle waist belt or in the case of my roadbike in a waterbottle tool pouch. Keys/money.
I ride gloveless 99% of the time so my hands are far from pretty while riding but they are waterproof and washable.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Where did you get the waterproof and washable hands? mine are getting a bit manky these days, and the Mrs is getting fed up of me using her hand cream

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It says on the website that Wolftooth works only with 9, 10, 11 and 12-speed master links and chains. I have a 8-Speed Sram EX-1. Are they so different that its not compatible? Has anyone tried?
Ex1 uses a 10 speed Chain , it’s 10 speed spacing although only 8 gears used . But as said above a shoelace is all you need to separate the link on the trail if it’s stubborn , however a broken chain usually fails somewhere else anyway so a chain tool is usually required to push out the broken link before re joining with another quick link . Just a sharp push on the crank will click it together again

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
Ex1 uses a 10 speed Chain , it’s 10 speed spacing although only 8 gears used.
Are you sure? I have a Cube Action Team 160 and i believe its a SRAM PC EX1 8-Speed Chain:geek:

That tip with the shoelace is pretty awesome, i'v seen that in that EMBN Video "9 Trailside EMTB Fixes and Hacks". (y) I love that channel. :giggle:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Are you sure? I have a Cube Action Team 160 and i believe its a SRAM PC EX1 8-Speed Chain:geek:
Yes it’s a chain specified for ex1 which is 8 speed , but ex1 is based on 10 speed dimensions . Sram sell joiner links specific to the ex1 chain ,

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Was bored, so I decided to see if I could make a 24oz water bottle fit my Kenevo
B6F1B9DE-7CE3-4CD2-A2BD-5BD30485912E.jpeg

It does now

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Regarding grips, on my last few bikes I've added these motorbike overgrips as I've suffered from the pins & needles and couldn't find a solution. They just slide over standard grips though there's a trick to that ;)

61glsHHB6cL._SX355_.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Regarding grips, on my last few bikes I've added these motorbike overgrips as I've suffered from the pins & needles and couldn't find a solution. They just slide over standard grips though there's a trick to that ;)

View attachment 7014
Not a cheap option but carbon bars really do make a big difference to numb hands , as do some well set up top end forks , which isn’t akways an affordable option , that’s if you suffer for reasons other than not relaxing . Like carpal tunnel etc , I’ve tried so many options , fatter softer grips made things worse due to being too fat to grip easily , as did thick gell gloves .
On some long descents I now have to stop and just shake my hands out .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles