Is trail mode similar to Bosch EMTB mode?

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Haven't tried it yet, but if I set trail mode to 300%, will it work the same as the Bosch emtb mode?
In boost, it seems to deliver all the power immediately which as opposed to trail where the harder you pedal, the more power it delivers which is like the Bosch and feels more natural.....
Or will it end up just like boost?
If nobody's done it, I'll give it a go and report back!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you whack it up to 300% it feels just like boost but without the overrun. It is worth playing with the assistance level in smaller increments though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes is the simple answer, in that it is a reactive mode that will give you more support when it thinks you need it, and respond to your inputs.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Thanks R120, thought that might be the case! I'll load up the settings and give it a go next time I'm out.
Yes, boost gives you the full monty, but it's so binary in the way it comes in, all or nothing!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, boost is useless for trail riding, its really just for winching you back up a fireroad or similar when knackered IMO.

I find it a lot easier to do technical climbs in Trail

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
I do not think they are comparable, the shimano trail has a constant% support (low, medium or hight up to 70nm while the bosch has a% of assistance which varies automatically from 110% up to 300% in emtb mode...

shim1_stitch.jpg

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
the explanation in the video, does not correspond at all to the curves above or where the coefficient of assistance is constant over the whole range

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
the explanation in the video, does not correspond at all to the curves above or where the coefficient of assistance is constant over the whole range
Thats because they updated Trail mode about 2 years ago - the graphs you have predate that.

EMTB Mode and Trail mode work slightly differently, but both do a similar thing.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Put it to the test today on my favourite climb, trail at 300%, same ultimate power as boost, but far less snatchy on light inputs and a much more useful all-round mode than boost (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles