Is There A No-Brainer Upgrade for eMTB

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
On a road bike, the no-brainer upgrade in terms of benefit vs cost is a wheel upgrade.
I don’t think such an upgrade exists for eMTB assuming you’ve started with a half decent bike. If there is please tell me.
Tyres (and indeed running tubeless) are a personal preference. Motors/batteries impossible to change. Forks and shocks often too expensive to consider vs performance benefit.
I have a 2019 Levo carbon with 700Wh battery.
There’s nothing on it that isn’t up to the job but I have no idea if I’m missing a trick?
Thoughts?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
A dropper is as mandatory as suspension, so I don't think I would consider it an upgrade in this day and age. I think tires are the most important place to spend money, good rubber compounds and a tread pattern that works well in your local. I pull OEM tires off of a new bike and sell them and put on what I like. After that, suspension rebuilds and tuning. Unless some of the bits are junk on your bike (I'm looking at you Specialized) pretty much everything is competent, and unless you are a part nerd, won't hold your riding back. Even basic suspension forks are really pretty good, and if they get some custom work, are usually better than stock $1000 forks.

D

Deleted member 7464

I don't see the point in "upgrading" my levo comp carbon as everything works a treat. It handles everything I want it to do and makes a good job of it.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
One good thing about Specialized bikes are that they are pretty well sorted from new. You sort of choose upgrades when you buy it depending on what model you get. It can be a false economy to go for a lower model with the intention of upgrading later as you can end up spending more money as you’re getting the same part twice. On a test ride, I could not get on with the saddle that came with my Kenevo and the shop was happy to swop it for another Specialized one which they said most of them found comfortable. I’m glad to say that this has been the case. I think a good addition, if not an upgrade as such, is a decent gps computer, especially one on which one can add fields to show battery percentage and which mode you’re in. It’s also interesting to have your rides tracked, with all the statistics of power use, temperature etc recorded.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Tyres and brakes. I done the tyres just need to get me some Magura Mt7's and MDR-P rotors and I'm done.........for now :ROFLMAO:

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
A dropper is as mandatory as suspension, so I don't think I would consider it an upgrade in this day and age. I think tires are the most important place to spend money, good rubber compounds and a tread pattern that works well in your local. I pull OEM tires off of a new bike and sell them and put on what I like. After that, suspension rebuilds and tuning. Unless some of the bits are junk on your bike (I'm looking at you Specialized) pretty much everything is competent, and unless you are a part nerd, won't hold your riding back. Even basic suspension forks are really pretty good, and if they get some custom work, are usually better than stock $1000 forks.
As a returning MTBer am loving the dropper having never had one, and wouldn’t be without now!
I have previously used TF Tuned in the UK to tube rear shocks. I wonder if the stock Fox on the Levo is tweakable?

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Tyres and brakes. I done the tyres just need to get me some Magura Mt7's and MDR-P rotors and I'm done.........for now :ROFLMAO:
Brake upgrades were definitely worthwhile many years ago. Now, again, so long as what you’ve got is above basic and specced to the bike should be fine. Keeping the pads clean is far more important than Hope/Magura bling. Unless certain brakes offer better pad wear. That’s another thread I’m sure!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
On a road bike, the no-brainer upgrade in terms of benefit vs cost is a wheel upgrade.
I don’t think such an upgrade exists for eMTB assuming you’ve started with a half decent bike. If there is please tell me.
A wheel upgrade.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally the one upgrade I would make to any EMTB, provided the forks are rated for it and you have four pot brakes, is fit a 220/223mm front disc (several options for these now from the likes of SRAM, Magura, Trcikstuff and Galfer, Hope etc etc). Simple upgrade that's easy to do, and makes a big difference to braking performance no matter what brand of 4 pot brakes you are running.

We are seeing more bikes come with them as standard, and next year you will see a big takeoff with them specked as original equipment on a lot bikes.

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
No upgrades required for my Levo 2020 but I did invest in a Heart Rate Monitor and rugged phone to run Strava, Viewranger, Spez-Mission Control etc. Makes the e bike experience complete in my opinion.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Go on....
Weight and aero don’t matter like on a road bike. If they’re strong enough not to break then.....
Weight does matter.
Lighter wheels turn and accelerate better and a reduction in unsprung weight helps the suspension.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's actually not.
it's fitness (and weight loss if you're overweight)
The exact same applies to emtb

I have a 2019 Levo carbon with 700Wh battery.
So you really don't *need* any "upgrades.
But if you must spend money. Tyres are the most cost effective and noticable difference to performance you can make to any bike.

IME most cyclists who use the word "upgrade" or "mod" rarely have a clue what they're talking about and in reality just want to spend some money to make themselves feel better. just like those of us with too many pairs of shoes and handbags ;)

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Personally the one upgrade I would make to any EMTB, provided the forks are rated for it and you have four pot brakes, is fit a 220/223mm front disc (several options for these now from the likes of SRAM, Magura, Trcikstuff and Galfer, Hope etc etc). Simple upgrade that's easy to do, and makes a big difference to braking performance no matter what brand of 4 pot brakes you are running.

We are seeing more bikes come with them as standard, and next year you will see a big takeoff with them specked as original equipment on a lot bikes.
Sounds sensible!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Lighter wheels turn and accelerate better and a reduction in unsprung weight helps the suspension.
although all of that is true the science won't really help a weak, unfit, 18st rider with lower skill levels trying to control a set of 24 spoke 1400g wheels in a rock garden or in the air.

Not that all Emtb owners fall into that category.

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
It's actually not.

But if you must spend money. Tyres are the most cost effective and noticable difference to performance you can make to any bike.

IME most cyclists who use the word "upgrade" or "mod" rarely have a clue what they're talking about and in reality just want to spend some money to make themselves feel better. just like those of us with too many pairs of shoes and handbags ;)
Yeah assuming I’m already optimised in the weight fitness department!!
I’m happy that the answer is no there isn’t a no-brainer upgrade. I have an open mind..... and wallet ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It's actually not.

Hang on . . you told me those anodised crank bolts you gave me the link for on eBay would make my bike better by x to the power of rad! You telling me its all BS! They cost me £3.99!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A bicycle that still has the same number of crank arms at the end of a ride as it did at the start?

bucket

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I assumed you're not.
none of us here are.
I’m trim and fit and the point of the question is getting to know if there’s something I’ve not discovered only having had the bike a few months and having spent 10 years away from MTB. Is the fat & middle-age a given assumption then for eMTB riders?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles