Is there a "BEST" elbow guard ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Who threads the line the best between comfort, weight, heat, fit, protection, price....

What sits there and you don't know it's there, but offers good elbow protection and hopefully some forearm protection ?

The new POC VPD System Lite looks interesting :

poc.jpg

But at 500 grams I'm not sure I'd class it as "Lite" ... especially as a whole TLD7855 upper body armour with fairly reasonable elbow protection weighs in at 700g.

For €120 - Maybe it should be called the POC VPD System Lite Wallet ....

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’ve been impressed with Leatt Airflex pro line. I now run their elbow and knee guards. Lightweight and surprisingly comfortable and really good. I already tested it twice :)

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I like both the knee and elbow Bliss pads. Sure, they’re not going to offer the protection levels of some of the bulkier offerings but they’re very comfortable and I’ve found the protection more than adequate.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I mostly use g-form as they give decent protection but are not restrictive, not the best in terms of staying put on a sliding crash, got a big scar on my elbow from a downhill off on a rock trail where the slide down the hill took the "sleeve" up my arm and allowed the rocks to hit the elbow, stayed in place elsewhere though, so my knees were ok. My iphone stood in for my crashpants (which were at home) and it gave its life to save my thigh bone. I was still able to patch myself up with my first aid kit, straighten out the bike and ride the 20km home.

I believe the new POC air vpn pads are good, so I might buy some of them when I decide my g-forms have too many holes in the sleeve :)

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
As I just replace my old full body armour with a lighter version withouth elbow protection I had to find something new and I came up with the alpinestars E - Ride.
1651018-1079-fr_e-ride-elbow-protector_760x760.jpg

I am using Alpinestars Shin/Knee protectors for years now (Alpinestars MOAB) and as these are the best I´ve ever owned, I gave the E-ride ellbow prots a go.
These were also the best fitting and most comfortable ones from all I tried (POC, 661, Raceface,...I think everything you can get atm) BUT like all the other protectors I tried these also keep sliding down your arms during hard riding. This is really annoying but as (from my and my buddies experience) this is a common problem, I will try to fiddle around with the straps/velcros as I they´re to long for a tight fit (couldn´t use the smaller version as my arms are to big :D)

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I've personally found that its the fit thats most important. Will they stay in place during a crash? If it gets dragged off it doesn't matter what its made of, your body is taking the abrasion.

I currently have IXS cleaver knee/shin pads, IXS hack elbow. Tried various ones and these fitted/stayed on the best, tested by doing them up and trying to pull them off myself with them done up.

The knee ones have been invaluable. Had lots off "offs" where they have stayed in place, filling up with mud and scratches that otherwise my knees would have taken. Comfort, not brilliant but you get used to it.

I'd recommend try lots on, and try and pull them off whilst done up to see how well they hang on! the POC ones you have pictured seem to have no adjustment/velcro. I'm willing to bet they pull off pretty easily.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Have a look at the troy lee speed, elbow guards. They have won a best in test recently. I now have them and so far they stay in place.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
I recently got the fox launch d30 knee and elbow pads. They fitted the best out of the ones in the shop (kudos to leisure lakes for helpful guidance and patience!) and felt least intrusive.

The best protection is the one that you will actually wear (and be wearing when you fall) because it's comfortable. Something may have better impact protection but if it's uncomfortable and doesn't get used as often then it offers no protection when I don't wear it (obviously).

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I've been using Troy Lee Designs Raid elbow guards 6 months. Like someone mentioned the fitting is maybe most important. I could say that when buying raid elbow guards pay attention to the part that covers biceps. I thought I was between XL and L but as a skinny boy my biceps is maybe M. I have to quite often pull the guards up during riding.

One trick is to rinse a little water to them before riding. I'm thinking that I will solve this fitting problem just by buying the UPL7855 armour shirt.

The Raid knee guards have been excellent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles