Levo Gen 2 Is the motor okay to be out in the freezing cold? (transporting bicycle)

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
Im in Colorado and I'd like to take the Levo on a road trip. Is it okay to keep the bicycle outside on the hitch carrier for hours at a time in sub freezing temps? I have a bicycle cover.

The battery will be inside the van.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I think it's OK. Spesh specs tells operating temperature -20 C (-4 F). Or do you have colder than that?
Or after reading this maybe even lower.

What should I consider when using my Turbo in the winter?
Always store your bike and battery at room temperature before riding, or at least in an ambient temperatures above 0° C (35° F). If the battery cells are too cold, performance issues can occur (system goes into protection mode in worst case scenarios with no motor support). Riding in low temperatures is not a problem since the battery creates heat during discharge. Refer to the temperature ranges for charging, discharging, and storing as displayed on the underside of the battery.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Cold shouldn't hurt it for transport. I would try to warm it up before riding it if it's really cold. Also things like condensation allow moisture inside due to large temperature changes. Getting it up to a nice hot temp every month or so will push most of the moisture out of the motor housing.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I don’t know if they salt/grit the roads there like they do here in the UK, but if they do, I wouldn’t recommend you hanging bikes on the carrier outside a vehicle, if it is likely they will be salting. I ruined two bikes on a rack a few years ago due to this.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
I don’t know if they salt/grit the roads there like they do here in the UK, but if they do, I wouldn’t recommend you hanging bikes on the carrier outside a vehicle, if it is likely they will be salting. I ruined two bikes on a rack a few years ago due to this.
Hmmm, good point, I've got a cover... I hope that will work?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles