Is the Hero 7 yesterdays news?????

F-GODZ

Nov 30, 2018
United Kingdom
80° FOV looks very narrow for POV shots. I'm sure this thing would have it's uses, but immersive POV is not going to be one of them...

(I am a GoPro fanboi though:p)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
80° FOV looks very narrow for POV shots. I'm sure this thing would have it's uses, but immersive POV is not going to be one of them...

(I am a GoPro fanboi though:p)
The field of view is my concern too although the superview effect can be added.
The camera has a ring for attaching magnetic external filters etc so a wide angle or anamorphic attachment will probably become available in time.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Been playing with the Osmo Pocket for a couple of weeks.
Picture is great, has survived multiple crashes without issue, fine in light rain/muddy conditions and I haven’t managed to jolt it offline which is pretty easy with the traditional gimbals.
I switched the gimbal reaction speed to high which gets rid of the yaw lag which can be seen in the video above. I also prefer FPV mode where the picture leans with you rather than staying level.
In trees/low light you don’t get the motion blur jitters of the pre late December Hero 7 firmware update.

The big elephant in the room for me is the narrow field of view. It is too narrow to effectively get some of the bike/bars and the view ahead in the same shot even on a chesty (I 3D printed suitable mounts). For a smooth forward view from a helmet the results are excellent as can be seen from R120’s video.

Until a wide angle lens attachment becomes available I will be relegating it to B roll and 3rd person shots where it really shines.

As a side not the new Hero 7 firmware has a vast image improvement in low light stabilisation. You should really update if you haven’t already??

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Thought the trails looked familiar, then noticed it was Jordan from Sick who is a fellow Worthing local. Didn't know he had an ebike though.

I also struggle to get my bars in shot without restricting the view of the rider ahead with a Gopro7 with full face chin mount. Wondering if I don't have the camera mounted quite as low as you @Rob Hancill ? Or could just be because im a lanky streak of piss!

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Ta, I have it mounted under the guard with a gopro J mount but poss not far enough and it pushes the camera forward rather than back. Probably compounded by a long torso. Will have a play

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Here is a photo of Rob gratuitously pinched from his Instagram with the setup
20FE531B-740C-4D8C-8C69-A3D54955DC5B.jpeg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Turns out I had been filming with Superview off. Had another go today in 2.7k 50fps Superview and well pleased with the results, immersive viewpoint that convinced me to get one that I first saw on @Rob Hancill 's review. Colours need toning down a bit though.

Also am I mistaken or have the available FPS rates changed since the firmware update? I'm sure it was 60/30/24 or similar before, now I seem to have 50/40/25/24? Am I gansta trippin' or what?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Turns out I had been filming with Superview off. Had another go today in 2.7k 50fps Superview and well pleased with the results, immersive viewpoint that convinced me to get one that I first saw on @Rob Hancill 's review. Colours need toning down a bit though.

Also am I mistaken or have the available FPS rates changed since the firmware update? I'm sure it was 60/30/24 or similar before, now I seem to have 50/40/25/24? Am I gansta trippin' or what?

Yeah def need Superview for POV.

You need to change location to NTSC to get 30/60. PAL is euro 25/50.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nice one Rob, think I did change that. Does it make much difference?
30p is a bit smoother, but requires a bit more light. GoPro needs as much light as possible for MTB Hypersmooth so you're going to get slightly better performance at 25p (25 frames a second lets more light in that 30 frames a second).

Personally I prefer the aesthetic of 24p / 25p and its much safer to use 25p around artificial light as it matches our Euro frequency... I've lost a bit of footage with nasty banding / flickering when filming in bike shops etc. Prob not an issue for most, but something to be aware of.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles