is the E7000 to weak?

Blauhassinger

Apr 2, 2020
Germany
Hi,
Currently I ride the Merida E one sixty 500 with e7000 motor. (Its my wifes Ebike, as long as mine is in repair)
I'm facing similar problems:
when in trail (low) mode and going uphill the motor support drops after 5-10 minutes climbing (appr. 6-8° incline).
The motor is still whining but assist is very low. After stopping and waiting a few second (10-20) the support is back again.
had this effect at different outside temperatures 3-4°C and 15-18°C.
Seems the motor "overheats' or at least the temperature sensor indicate too high temperature, thus it limits the motor support.
Otherwise the motor is powerfull enough for "normal" mountain biking, and efficiency is great (3 bars for 65km and 1000hm - mainly forest roads)
I have an Focus SAM2 with e8000 motor, never had any issues like with the e7000 (I drive almost same way to work an back 3 times per week).
I will now use eco (high) and report if problem still occurs with this assist level.
Has someone contacted Shimano with this issues?

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
I also have this issue on a 2020 Felt Redemption with an E7000, as does a friend of mine with the same bike. I'm also interested in knowing if this is a problem with all E7000s or if there was a batch that was bad.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
So far my E7000 has been great, I climbed on trail mode for 45 min non stop, the power delivery seems to be consistent, it was on a road, and I passed all the roadies. never tried it on technical trail climb over 30 min.
Basically I try to spin more than mashing, putting easier torque on the pedals, seems to help.

Blauhassinger

Apr 2, 2020
Germany
Feedback from Paul Lange (shimano Distributor): "Please contact you local dealer for further actions …"
Now thinking what to do. I'm afraid repair will need 4-8 weeks. May I wait till autumn.

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
Feedback from Paul Lange (shimano Distributor): "Please contact you local dealer for further actions …"
Now thinking what to do. I'm afraid repair will need 4-8 weeks. May I wait till autumn.
Any error code ? if not, before going to dealer, I would take off all cable connections from handlebar, clean it all, also lower the motor, open the casing, do some cleaning there too, unplug the cable and clean.
there could be some debris stuck between motor and mounting or that area, or some trapped water somewhere. just do thorough cleaning, then put all back again to test it. check you spoke magnet sensor on the wheel, if your wheel true or wobble, the distance between the magnet to sensor should be below 17mm I think. if rear wheel wobble too much, could effecting the sensor.
if no luck, oh well, go to dealer then.

good luck.

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
My friend broke his E7000 that had a similar problem, and he says he does not have the same power cut out issue on the warranty replacement. It sounds like this could be a manufacturing defect in some E7000s. It's pretty annoying. I encounter it about once per ride, typically after climbing steep trails for about 10 minutes. Sitting around for a couple minutes seems to fix it, but it will do it again if I continue to push the motor hard. If the trail isn't steep and long, all is well.

badumi1

Jun 30, 2020
Slovakia
Hi guys, I am having the same issue with riding on a very steep hills in Boost mode and then feel engine response is weird like a cutting power assist. When I stop pedaling for a second or two it goes back to normal but then again. So annoying, even in Trail mode then. I am riding between 70-100 rpms for the best battery lasting. Will report this issue to my dealer and also as you recommend will lower Nm to max 50 in both Boost and Trail modes to see the results. Keep you posted tomorrow.

Last edited:

badumi1

Jun 30, 2020
Slovakia
My engine died at the end so already at the dealer. Strange noise came up from it but no errors on display. Btw new 2021 engines will get 85NM (not sure if 7000 or 8000). Hope to get a new one.

Blauhassinger

Apr 2, 2020
Germany
My e7000 Motor is now on its way to dealer. I will let you know what came out.

PS: disasembly (in case of merida e500) is easy to do, but you should mark the screws as they have different length left and right side.

badumi1

Jun 30, 2020
Slovakia
I got my bike with a new engine back. 0 km :) sadly after email communication with STunlocker I have to buy a new licence as it is tight with an engine, not even a discount from him.

badumi1

Jun 30, 2020
Slovakia
Did you get back an E7000 or E8000?
They gave me back E7000 but I feat that one also has the same symptoms. Will test it properly today in a steep hill. At the end to speed up engine change the guy at the store took it from the same bike he had in the store and mine claimed by himself at bike producer. That’s why I fear it is the same production batch as the old one.

Blauhassinger

Apr 2, 2020
Germany
Hi,
got my new E7000 motor.
It was sent in Shimano original cardboard box (distributed by my bike dealer), so I assume it a new motor.
Got some mounting problems with the 4 pin connector (you need to push really hard till it snaps in).
New motor works flawless, no power loss on hill climbing.
After all, it took around 2 weeks from sending old motor till receiving new one.
Thats really ok.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
Glad to hear this is fixed on people's replacement motors.

My E7000 with the cutting out issue was half useless in sunny 32C weather. Starting from a cold start up a paved road, it would give me full power on "Trail" mode for about 1 minute before cutting out almost completely. From then on, it would go only about 20 to 30 seconds before quitting again.

Manpad

Mar 8, 2020
Usa
A bit late to the party but it depends on what you want. I've had 2 EMTB's: Rocky Mountain Powerplay and an E7000. The PowerPlay was the most powerful motor I've experienced yet, by a good margin. Boost mode was absurd. The downside is that it felt overpowering and the additional chain guides made it feel like my pedaling literally added nothing...but wow was it fast! If you're racing to win and nothing else, go for power.

By contrast, the E7000 feels like approximately half the power but feels very natural when pedaling and the boost is still strong enough to exceed what I want. My ideal bike is the Levo SL but the pricepoint dictates a different approach for me now and the E7000 more than satisfies my needs. If you want something that feels natural, the E7000 might be a good choice and is certainly enough power for me.

Chelsea

Feb 27, 2022
Chelsea
I’m thinking so. I don’t know why bike companies keep installing the step 7000 knowing all the problems people are expiriencing.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
Good to know. I’ve never had this happen with my E8000 motor. With the E7000 it happens on steep hills. For me, its the same battery so it’s likely heat related issue.
I now have 10600 km on the motor in 1 3/4years and not once has the power been pulled from the system due to overheating or torque sensor error.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles