Is it too soon for a group ride?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Since the UK Government changed its advice about exercising. You can now ride to a place where you exercise. Since then, the trail centre nearest where I ride has been in regular use. Today (a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK) the car parks were crammed, even the overflow parks and with families picnicking on their tartan blankets. The regular trails appeared to be busy and there were groups of riders, mostly on rent a bikes with and without helmets. Social distancing seemed to be out of the window!

But I ride mostly off-piste and for most of the time I hardly saw a soul. I once met six riders coming the other way, all careful to avoid me and they were a good distance apart. On another occasion, I came across three riders who stopped for a chat and they too were alert about social distancing. That was my sum total of human contact in three hours.

If we all remain sensible, and remind each other about social distancing in case we forget, then is it feasible to take part in a group ride?

What are your views? Insane! About time! Why not, as long as we remain alert and observe protocol?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Personally, and as a law abiding sort of bloke, I couldn’t do it.

At present, you’re only supposed to meet one person who isn’t in your household for socially distanced contact, so not sure how a group ride fits into that.

I do see the rules/guidelines gradually falling apart like you have, but I still want to keep myself and my family as safe as practical too, so for now I’m just out solo.

In England, not only would it be against government guidlelines - you're only allowed to exercise with one member of another household or with members of your own household (not both), but it also would be a criminal offence - gatherings of three or more people (from different households) are not permitted.

See:

To be clear, in Wales or Scotland the rules are even stricter, for example you're not allowed to drive to your place of excercise even.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When I was out recently at Surrey Hills on a solo ride, I saw lots of people riding in pairs, but the only ones in groups of 4 or 5 where kids, most of whom are locals. I was actually suprised not to see more, and thought it would be a lot busier.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
A sweaty guy that is breathing hard leaves a trail of droplets in the air behind them, that you are riding into at a rate faster than it can dissipate. Do you risk trusting that they're non-carriers, that they're not asymptomatic?

I generally don't defy advice regarding my own health and safety. I generally don't justify doing questionable things that seem "normal" due to seeing others do it. I'd like to believe that I stand for higher standards of human behavior.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
If government advisers can pretty much do as they wish, just crack on and if challenged, just say if it's good enough for old Dominic, it's good enough for me.

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Not until restrictions are Properly lifted. The uncertainty of who is infected and not showing symptoms means you risk yourself and your family and everyone else you are in close proximity to. Is that really worth taking that gamble for a ride?
Not yet.

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
I am with the majority of replies, much as I would like to go out with my normal group, who I know have all been doing the same as me with regard to social distancing, its just not worth the risk as anyone of them could be carriers. The only thing I have considered is a staggered ride, meet in a large area, 5-10 mins between pairs to a mid point for a socially distanced chat and banter and the same back to the original start point. Ive ridden by 100's of people out walking or cycling around my local roads for exercise, always giving 2m plus, I cant really see the risks are higher with a staggered ride out on the trails.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´m doing it in small group (3/4 guys and gals) in in the sunny south. Bikes are a natural way off keeping the required social distance. Covid-19 doesn´t like sunn, salty water and fresh air.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I went out here with two friends a few days ago (France). For 99% of the ride we kept our distances.

I went out alone yesterday morning. It was nuts. There were people everywhere and NO-ONE was adhering to any of the rules they've just posted everywhere :

covid.jpg

Ended up just trail tidying as you couldn't get a clean run anywhere (due to people).

Went out again in the afternoon and it was even more nuts, it was busier than a maxed out summers day. I came across people on every trail, the MTB trails aren't marked here and many are difficult to find - yet there were people on all of them, it was like the whole place had been invaded by a swarm of crazy ants.

On one trail, the regional championship DH trail, one group had setup for a picnic on a flatish 4m section of the track, using the rocks as seats !!??!? Another group of 30 having a mass BBQ.

So keep in mind, it's not just how you organise yourself and what rules you as a group will adhere too in the interest of not making all the hard work and sacrifice so far ..... totally pointless .... it's the zillions of morons who seem to think this is all over and who are only thinking of themselves which could cause you problems and make it impossible for you to stay safe.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Round me in the local section of the North Downs way /Reigate Hill it was as crowded as I have ever seen it, its like Coronavirus never happened - its an area hugely popular with walkers, horse riders, runners and cyclist, not to mention families etc just wanting to get out and about, but yesterday morning you couldn't even ride the bike properly there where so many people to avoid.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I went out here with two friends a few days ago (France). For 99% of the ride we kept our distances.

I went out alone yesterday morning. It was nuts. There were people everywhere and NO-ONE was adhering to any of the rules they've just posted everywhere :

View attachment 31991

Ended up just trail tidying as you couldn't get a clean run anywhere (due to people).

Went out again in the afternoon and it was even more nuts, it was busier than a maxed out summers day. I came across people on every trail, the MTB trails aren't marked here and many are difficult to find - yet there were people on all of them, it was like the whole place had been invaded by a swarm of crazy ants.

On one trail, the regional championship DH trail, one group had setup for a picnic on a flatish 4m section of the track, using the rocks as seats !!??!? Another group of 30 having a mass BBQ.

So keep in mind, it's not just how you organise yourself and what rules you as a group will adhere too in the interest of not making all the hard work and sacrifice so far ..... totally pointless .... it's the zillions of morons who seem to think this is all over and who are only thinking of themselves which could cause you problems and make it impossible for you to stay safe.
I´m keeping out off bike parks and other crouded areas. Don´t know others countryes realityes.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I came across people on every trail, the MTB trails aren't marked here and many are difficult to find - yet there were people on all of them, it was like the whole place had been invaded by a swarm of crazy ants.

Your trails are on Strava @Zimmerframe . They're easy to download for everyone with a subscription - who will then pass them on to all of his mates... :mad:

Maybe some big red (or black) signs might be in order after all? ;)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Here is Spain, as of today in this area, we are now allowed to ride in groups of 15 riders. As long as we maintain the social distancing of 20m between riders while moving and 2m when stopped. Not sure that's much of a "group"

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Here is Spain, as of today in this area, we are now allowed to ride in groups of 15 riders. As long as we maintain the social distancing of 20m between riders while moving and 2m when stopped. Not sure that's much of a "group"

That's going to make one fun death chicane on the road for when people want to overtake a 300m long group of 15 riders !!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That makes no sense if the thread title is the question being posed?
IS IT TOO SOON FOR A GROUP RIDE?
You are correct. Thanks for that. :)
I was going for yes in favour of a group ride rather than yes to the question. OOPS! :giggle:
I will now change the post. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That's going to make one fun death chicane on the road for when people want to overtake a 300m long group of 15 riders !!

With respect to sport, there's been a distinct lack of joined up thinking right from the start. It's possible to, perhaps, understand the reasons for some of the decisions, but they weren't thought through. As things are relaxing, it's getting a little more sensible with respect to the regulations. However, mostly they are being roundly ignored :(

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Come to the United States, no rules, no masks, just ignore it and it'll go away (right). And guns we got lots of guns. Common sense, not so much......
It's actually common sense that leads to those things.

Common sense is just the use of senses, interpreting it in a common manner, to make a judgement. The common manner of interpretation tends to be simple categorization (new/old, cheap/fancy, ally/enemy, majority/minority, etc.). Example: witness seeing cheap toilet paper get hoarded by others and empty shelves? Fear + common sense makes it reasonable for them to do the same at the next opportunity. Need to go beyond common sense, but people just don't care to improve since a common sense expectation is that not everyone will improve, and therefore it's normal and you won't be judged for following suit. Common sense tells them that going above and beyond gets people judged too, seeing how commoners drag such types down off their high horses, discouraging others with common sense from thinking such high ground allows them to judge freely.

Not sure what term it is, to describe what's higher than common sense, but those who encourage themselves and others to self-improve and be less selfish, despite the expectation of pain/displeasure from doing so, have whatever it is.

Last edited:

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Going on a small group ride, off piste , would be safer than going to a trail centre on your own. A small group of riders seem to automatically sort themselves into a riding formation, ie fastest at the front and decent sized gaps open up between the riders. Riding on your own at trail centres, especially climbing, you are constantly on the back wheel of slower riders, trying to find a way past. With the influx of new cyclists, this will get to be even more of a problem in the future. So an organised small group is safer than riding on you own. IMO.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Since the UK Government changed its advice about exercising. You can now ride to a place where you exercise. Since then, the trail centre nearest where I ride has been in regular use. Today (a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK) the car parks were crammed, even the overflow parks and with families picnicking on their tartan blankets. The regular trails appeared to be busy and there were groups of riders, mostly on rent a bikes with and without helmets. Social distancing seemed to be out of the window!

But I ride mostly off-piste and for most of the time I hardly saw a soul. I once met six riders coming the other way, all careful to avoid me and they were a good distance apart. On another occasion, I came across three riders who stopped for a chat and they too were alert about social distancing. That was my sum total of human contact in three hours.

If we all remain sensible, and remind each other about social distancing in case we forget, then is it feasible to take part in a group ride?

What are your views? Insane! About time! Why not, as long as we remain alert and observe protocol?

Last week a mountain biker "off piste" in the Lake District broke his ankle and had to be rescued by a Mountain Rescue Team.

Rescues involving a stretcher carry-off usually involve between 10 and 25 people.

Covid PPE is very difficult and uncomfortable to use in the outdoors, especially in wet weather, and it is impossible to use social distancing when doing casualty care or carrying a stretcher.

If there is any hint of the casualty (or anybody with him) having covid either during or soon after the rescue, then ALL the MRT personel involved in the rescue AND all their families will have to be isolated for 2 weeks.

Many of these people are essential workers
, many in the NHS and other emergency services.

When the next casualty needs the assistance of a Mountain Rescue Team (and it might be a farmer or a local person going about their normal business) the team might not be available to give it!

Do you still think it is a good idea to go off-road riding with your friends at this time?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles