Article Introducing the new 2022 Scott Patron eRide

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I’m looking at several bikes at the moment, one of which is the Patron. Apparently, the top of the range carbon model weighs 24k. I agree with others the lock out is a waste of time on an ebike, but price wise this bike is on a par with similar spec bikes from Specialized and Trek, so one can just get rid of the extra levers and gubbins and the weight could come very close to the Trek 9.8 XT which costs the same. I currently ride a 2018 Kenevo which is heavier than all of these bikes and I find it very easy to change direction (as did other testers at the time). One feature of the Patron is that they have managed to get the battery lower than most (by tilting the motor upwards) and a low centre of gravity can make a relatively heavy bike feel much lighter. Thus a bike may weigh a bit more but if it has a shorter wheelbase, is not too slack, and has a low centre of gravity, it may well be more “flickable“ than something heavier. A Levo at the same price weighs just under 23k, so I wonder how much one would notice the extra half a kilo of the trek or a kilo of the Patron. I think all three bikes are superb, so choosing between them is going to come down to quite subtle differences and maybe weight is not the most important of these.

If you buy it, keep the remote for a few rides and report back - think of it as on the fly geometry adjustment rather than anything to do with efficiency - changing rear shock travel steepens up the steering , so you can switch between stable long travel down hill , and nimble x country . It feels fantastic on their regular bikes, but I haven't tried it on an emtb.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If you buy it, keep the remote for a few rides and report back - think of it as on the fly geometry adjustment rather than anything to do with efficiency - changing rear shock travel steepens up the steering , so you can switch between stable long travel down hill , and nimble x country . It feels fantastic on their regular bikes, but I haven't tried it on an emtb.
Have the Twinlock on my Tuned 900. Don't use it often, but once I get my next suspension service done I might not use it at all, but expect I still might. Currently I run the suspension on the softer side to make gravel roads etc a lot more comfortable on the wrists and then go into 1/2 lockout for single ttrack stuff.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Have the Twinlock on my Tuned 900. Don't use it often, but once I get my next suspension service done I might not use it at all, but expect I still might. Currently I run the suspension on the softer side to make gravel roads etc a lot more comfortable on the wrists and then go into 1/2 lockout for single ttrack stuff.

My daughter has a genius 940 - I LOVE the system. She runs liw air pressures / relatively high sag so that might be why it's so noticeable switching between down hill and x country - but it's like having 2 different bikes

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Maybe you'd get used to it. I rode the Scott Spark for a day and hated that twinlock. So much extra crap on the bike for very little (if any) benefit. I actually never lock out my suspension. Does anyone on an ebike? Actually interested to see if folks do...
The shock, yes, but it's steep here and technical climbs which I like as much as the descents. I've never understood fork lockout - whether climbing or descending you want the front wheel to roll over stuff

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Maybe you'd get used to it. I rode the Scott Spark for a day and hated that twinlock. So much extra crap on the bike for very little (if any) benefit. I actually never lock out my suspension. Does anyone on an ebike? Actually interested to see if folks do...
No..neither shock or forks and the bike climbs everything I'm capable of in terms of technical terrain ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles