Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
So its the TCU (we changed the battery also and nothing). Now the question is....why that happened on a new bike? Maybe programming the tcu via the usb on some Specialized software will fixed it? Or is dead and i need to buy (warranty) a new one?

@Egregor glad to hear they found the issue. The TCU is the brain of the bike, so if this is damaged or faulty then it is likely the bike will not work - however it is unusual for this to fail by itself. There is a rubber seal on the underside of the TCU and it could be that this was not seated correctly after the original bike build or retailer update - water then may have damaged the electronics. Either way - it is highly unlikely to have been your fault so I very much hope this was covered under warranty for you.

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
Just posting this for reference purposes in case this becomes a wider problem for 2019 owners.

I had an issue where I could not get my bike to turn on this week despite having ridden only a few days before without issue.

Did all the usual checks, took battery in and out etc, cleaned contact points but was unable to get the bike to turn on despite a fully charged battery.

Called Chris at Berkshire Cycles who indicated he had a similar failure that day and had replaced an interal power cable to solve it.

Took mine in yesterday and sure enough a new power cable fitted has solved the problem with Chris stating that we would possibly be seeing a newly designed cable in the coming months as the current one has the potential for failure due to the design.

Hopefully this won't be a widespread issue but I have read several peoples thoughts that the current cable is too long and cramped in the current design so just keep this in mind if you encounter power problems.

This same scenario has just happened to my 4 week old 2019 Turbo Levo FSR. Luckily I have a local Specialized dealer nearby at Pearce Cycles, dropping it off there next week fo them to have a look at it.
Did you ever have another issue after changing the internal power cable?

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Didn't have any further Power Cable issues although I did have a Motor Replacement not long after this!
Since then the bike has run perfectly for the last 10 months or so with no further power/motor problems whatsoever.

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
Didn't have any further Power Cable issues although I did have a Motor Replacement not long after this!
Since then the bike has run perfectly for the last 10 months or so with no further power/motor problems whatsoever.

Yeah I just got to that bit in the thread where you have had the motor replaced. Fingers crossed mine isnt that severe an issue.

Coolhandluke

Oct 12, 2019
Lancashire
Reading attached the thread, sounds like my 1 month old 2019 Levo expert is suffering the exact same issue.
Press the on button, it beeps, there's a momentary flash of the lights in the display then nothing. The green lights on the battery come on too.
It's in the Specialized Concept store in Chester. It'll be at least five days until they can look at it too.
Not happy.

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
Reading attached the thread, sounds like my 1 month old 2019 Levo expert is suffering the exact same issue.
Press the on button, it beeps, there's a momentary flash of the lights in the display then nothing. The green lights on the battery come on too.
It's in the Specialized Concept store in Chester. It'll be at least five days until they can look at it too.
Not happy.

Yeah mine is a month old and exactly the same issue. Booked it into my local bike shop this week.
Very frustrating!!!
@Specialized Rider Care

Coolhandluke

Oct 12, 2019
Lancashire
So, if the power cable only lasts a month, why the heck are they selling these bikes without first updating a cable they know will break? Utterly ridiculous

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
So, if the power cable only lasts a month, why the heck are they selling these bikes without first updating a cable they know will break? Utterly ridiculous

I have had my motor apart today prior to it going in to the shop. It's pretty clean inside the casing (it should be after a month) and the cable doesn't look damaged in any way on the face of it, however wires are showing near where it plugs into the motor, bit sure if that is normal. Cleaned all the contacts but still not working. ?
Where did you purchase yours from? I assume you got it like me in an end of season deal.

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
Got my Levo back today from the guys at Pearce Cycles. New power cable fitted and it is working fine. They also updated the firmware. They did say the old cable (5 weeks old) did appear to have water ingress.
I will keep an eye on it and apply contact spray every now and then on the future.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
unfortunately its a fairly common problem, and in my opinion its down to the degree of bend in the cable, because its very tight the plug moulding tends to split and let water in, at least thats what happened to mine and my wifes on 2019 levos.
if you need good advice on this talk to Berkshire cycles

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
Water in the cable housing would not necessarily penetrate the wire insulation and ultimately the copper wire unless like Mikerb said; "very old condition" with potential cracking of the insulation due the the flexing of the cable when constantly removing it to charge the battery. However, water in the cable could migrate to the termination points and cause havoc at the connector points. A cracked/split connector plug like ccrdave experienced appears to be the biggest culprit and would certainly lead to problems.
We dehydrated Californians don't use our bikes like Jet-Skis so water is much less of an issue but arn't there some home remedies to help seal the connector plug? Perhaps a bit of silicone and not "ham-fisted" removal/install? :unsure:
Perhaps Specialized can raise this connection point well above the pedal axis on future models and improve the plug/connector junction...would make everyone happier...including Specialized.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
The point of failure is where the cable plugs into the motor ,its oring sealed but the cracked housing allows the oring to be bypassed

Coolhandluke

Oct 12, 2019
Lancashire
unfortunately its a fairly common problem, and in my opinion its down to the degree of bend in the cable, because its very tight the plug moulding tends to split and let water in, at least thats what happened to mine and my wifes on 2019 levos.

Let's hope it's a one off and not a monthly trip to the Spesh shop then otherwise they can have it back.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...which is the plug/termination rather than the cable.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Water in the cable housing would not necessarily penetrate the wire insulation and ultimately the copper wire unless like Mikerb said; "very old condition" with potential cracking of the insulation due the the flexing of the cable when constantly removing it to charge the battery. However, water in the cable could migrate to the termination points and cause havoc at the connector points. A cracked/split connector plug like ccrdave experienced appears to be the biggest culprit and would certainly lead to problems.
We dehydrated Californians don't use our bikes like Jet-Skis so water is much less of an issue but arn't there some home remedies to help seal the connector plug? Perhaps a bit of silicone and not "ham-fisted" removal/install? :unsure:
Perhaps Specialized can raise this connection point well above the pedal axis on future models and improve the plug/connector junction...would make everyone happier...including Specialized.
I agree it is a pretty feeble connection method relying primarily on the magnetic pull plus an "o" ring which provides something of a resistance closure but not a lot. I can see no reason why a cammed half turn screw could not be fitted to help secure it. Meanwhile I use silicone lube on the "o" ring ( same stuff used to keep drysuit seals flexible) and a smear of grease on the sloping face behind it. I also avoid levering the plug too far when attaching the charger and when I have the charger connected I cover the motor connector with a linen bag to prevent it picking up any dirt etc. I also regularly clean both sides of that connection with contact cleaner. It is certainly an area on the bike that needs special care. Mine has given no problems on my 2019 Comp.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
It is not the battery end that fails, the motor end terminal is oring sealed and plugged into the motor with a brb connection secure. The end fitting housing cracks or splits allowing water to enter and bypass the oring seal. It has nothing to do with the magnetic battery connection

Coolhandluke

Oct 12, 2019
Lancashire
It is not the battery end that fails, the motor end terminal is oring sealed and plugged into the motor with a brb connection secure. The end fitting housing cracks or splits allowing water to enter and bypass the oring seal. It has nothing to do with the magnetic battery connection

Pretty poor design to fail so fast,

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I agree but to some extent it depends on how it was put together, there is a “stop” on the cable to stop you pulling it too far out when you unplug the battery, if the stop which is just a cable ties is not in the right position it allows too much strain on the motor end and causes the fitting to split.
this is only my opinion on this and it may fail for other Reasons but end result, it still fails!

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
I agree it is a pretty feeble connection method relying primarily on the magnetic pull plus an "o" ring which provides something of a resistance closure but not a lot. I can see no reason why a cammed half turn screw could not be fitted to help secure it. Meanwhile I use silicone lube on the "o" ring ( same stuff used to keep drysuit seals flexible) and a smear of grease on the sloping face behind it. I also avoid levering the plug too far when attaching the charger and when I have the charger connected I cover the motor connector with a linen bag to prevent it picking up any dirt etc. I also regularly clean both sides of that connection with contact cleaner. It is certainly an area on the bike that needs special care. Mine has given no problems on my 2019 Comp.

Fingers crossed...all is well after 40 charge cycles (equates to 80 removal cycles?). I treat it with loving care...?
Glad nobody took offense to the ham-fisted adjetive...good group here.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I have a 2019 levo comp. it only been used for trails, cleaned after every ride ( water less ) I’ve washed it twice with water since owning it, but I have an air blower to dry it, I’m a car detailed so I have all the correct equipment.
It had a motor change to the 2020 motor a few weeks back and rode it for the first time since the change, last weekend. It got muddy so washed it with warm soapy water and dried it thoroughly after.... gone to ride it tonight, no power light, I checked the battery and it was fine, connection is clean and dry. I put it on charge and it showed half full. As I press the power button it flashes red very fast.... hardly noticeable. Is this the same sort of thing you guys are getting...
have to say, im not impressed by a 5k bike....

shaunculliss

Sep 14, 2019
Shropshire
I have a 2019 levo comp. it only been used for trails, cleaned after every ride ( water less ) I’ve washed it twice with water since owning it, but I have an air blower to dry it, I’m a car detailed so I have all the correct equipment.
It had a motor change to the 2020 motor a few weeks back and rode it for the first time since the change, last weekend. It got muddy so washed it with warm soapy water and dried it thoroughly after.... gone to ride it tonight, no power light, I checked the battery and it was fine, connection is clean and dry. I put it on charge and it showed half full. As I press the power button it flashes red very fast.... hardly noticeable. Is this the same sort of thing you guys are getting...
have to say, im not impressed by a 5k bike....

Yes that sounds very similar. Press the power button and it makes a beep, it very quickly and faintly flashes red or blue on the TCU. If you look at the battery connection you should see the lights on the battery illuminate just behind the cover.
How come you had the motor changed? The 2019 and 2020 motor is the same isn't it?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Yes that sounds very similar. Press the power button and it makes a beep, it very quickly and faintly flashes red or blue on the TCU. If you look at the battery connection you should see the lights on the battery illuminate just behind the cover.
How come you had the motor changed? The 2019 and 2020 motor is the same isn't it?
Yeah it’s very faint flash red, and a very quiet beep, sort of thing...
my motor was noisy so Berkshire cycles changed it and said it was having the 2020 motor. Not opened it up so no idea if it’s the same or not but now a I have another 150 mile trip to sort this out too. New I should have gone for the canyon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles