Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Just posting this for reference purposes in case this becomes a wider problem for 2019 owners.

I had an issue where I could not get my bike to turn on this week despite having ridden only a few days before without issue.

Did all the usual checks, took battery in and out etc, cleaned contact points but was unable to get the bike to turn on despite a fully charged battery.

Called Chris at Berkshire Cycles who indicated he had a similar failure that day and had replaced an interal power cable to solve it.

Took mine in yesterday and sure enough a new power cable fitted has solved the problem with Chris stating that we would possibly be seeing a newly designed cable in the coming months as the current one has the potential for failure due to the design.

Hopefully this won't be a widespread issue but I have read several peoples thoughts that the current cable is too long and cramped in the current design so just keep this in mind if you encounter power problems.

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
Just posting this for reference purposes in case this becomes a wider problem for 2019 owners.

I had an issue where I could not get my bike to turn on this week despite having ridden only a few days before without issue.

Did all the usual checks, took battery in and out etc, cleaned contact points but was unable to get the bike to turn on despite a fully charged battery.

Called Chris at Berkshire Cycles who indicated he had a similar failure that day and had replaced an interal power cable to solve it.

Took mine in yesterday and sure enough a new power cable fitted has solved the problem with Chris stating that we would possibly be seeing a newly designed cable in the coming months as the current one has the potential for failure due to the design.

Hopefully this won't be a widespread issue but I have read several peoples thoughts that the current cable is too long and cramped in the current design so just keep this in mind if you encounter power problems.
Thats interesting as i know our bikes are a similar age and mine has this problem despite doing everything to try and work out what is going on!

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Thats interesting as i know our bikes are a similar age and mine has this problem despite doing everything to try and work out what is going on!
Hi Jez, yes interesting although not surprising i'm afraid. I have a feeling this will become a widespread issue until they re-design the power cable.

You bought direct from Specialized I think, so would be interested to see how they handle it. Berkshire Cycles swapped it straight away with no waffle so let us know how you get on and if they confirm this is a known issue for them.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
So yet another snafu discovered despite it being “the most highly developed ebike ever”. I feel a bit sorry for early adopters at this point; if you had a noisy motor, cr@p collecting motor cover and now this it must feel like you have paid a huge premium to beta test their product for them. How was this stuff not picked up during the much vaunted testing in their Euro development centre?

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Did you notice when you pressed the on button if the green lights near connector came on? Mine are coming on and there is a flash and it sounds like there is a sort of connection trying to happen but nothing comes on!
Ha, Yes Jez, exactly that, I couldn't have explained it better myself.

That is the exact same scenario.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
I'm going to purchase a new power cable today and see if that takes care of my issues. My bike has been surging on rides since day one where it will go from 100% power down to 20% power and then back up 80% then back down to 10% and will completely turn off for about 5-10 seconds then turn back on by itself. The bike finally shut down on me where I couldn't turn it on for a week. Replaced the computer that is mounted on the top tube and that solved the bike turning on issue but not the surging. There was a ton of water around the computer when I swapped it.

I also get a ton of dirt and mud into the motor cover and my bike shop tells me there is no fix and that it is normal.

My X-Fusion dropper post also gets hung up in the up position and difficult to drop. I have to sit as far forward as possible on the seat for it to drop. Bike shop sent an email to X-Fusion to see what can be done.

If I can ever get the bike working correctly I will sell it.
Firstly, where did you buy the bike from as all those problems should be solved by the retailer or Specialized and you certainly shouldn't be "buying" parts at this point, thats what a warranty is for.

Not sure why the bike shop has said no fix for the dirt ingress as there is a foam insert as provided by Specialized and a new cover incoming.

If the dropper post isn't working, get it swappped out for one that does. Most decent bikes shops should do this without issue if they want repeat trade and as a customer maybe you should be demanding better service or they can take the bike back as unfit for purpose!!

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
I'm getting ready to lose my sh*t over this damn bike. I tried to purchase a new power cable from the bike shop and it is listed as a "not for sale" item in the computer. I tried to purchase a new battery and motor but neither come with the cable. I tried to get the bike shop to buy the bike back from me and was told no. Bike shop is offering zero help. I'm not even sure what to do at this point. I've actually spent $100,000 exclusively on Specialized bikes in the past 10 years and so pissed I'm being treated like this. I'm also not "one of those customers". The only item I ever warrantied in the past 10 years is a set of Guide Brakes that locked up on me. Any other issue I simply purchased a new part and moved on. I don't expect ANYTHING for free. Just want a bike that works.
OK George, this is not a good situation to be in for any customer let alone someone that has spent as much money as you have on one brand.
If your dealer is failing to help in any way then you will need to contact Specialized directly to raise a complaint about both your bike and the service you are receiving.
Send a message to @Specialized Rider Care through the forum to see if they can offer any advice as to how best to move forward.
You will have a strong case to return your bike to the dealer as not fit for purpose and receive a full refund if everything you are saying is a true reflection.
Please do not spend anymore of your own money on the bike until this is sorted and please keep us updated with how you get on as it's important for us as customers to know how these issues are being dealt with.

Also please name the dealer that has supplied you the bike so that they can be avoided as at this stage the customer service you are indicating is unacceptable and I wouldn't want to be buying anything from them.

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
I spoke to Spec in Newbury, where I bought the bike and they had a cable in stock so I shout up there yesterday and they checked bike and swapped it over without hassle. Great service from Matt.

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
I spoke to Spec in Newbury, where I bought the bike and they had a cable in stock so I shout up there yesterday and they checked bike and swapped it over without hassle. Great service from Matt.
As it should be Jez, I'm guessing that has solved the problem? Did they fit the foam insert or had you already done that?

Yep. But not always the case as we know. No they didn’t to foam. To be honest I have a flap that stops it and I am going to put a piece in myself. Main mechanic wasn’t in.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I'm getting ready to lose my sh*t over this damn bike. I tried to purchase a new power cable from the bike shop and it is listed as a "not for sale" item in the computer. I tried to purchase a new battery and motor but neither come with the cable. I tried to get the bike shop to buy the bike back from me and was told no. Bike shop is offering zero help. I'm not even sure what to do at this point. I've actually spent $100,000 exclusively on Specialized bikes in the past 10 years and so pissed I'm being treated like this. I'm also not "one of those customers". The only item I ever warrantied in the past 10 years is a set of Guide Brakes that locked up on me. Any other issue I simply purchased a new part and moved on. I don't expect ANYTHING for free. Just want a bike that works.
Now days that’s pocket change compared to all the time and gas money spent on recall adventures to the shop for everyone combined on this item. I know someone that charges people $40 to take them to the moon and the customers still demand the universe, it amazes me the more you pay, the service rendered does not parallel. Think Microsoft, Apple and car dealers. You won’t be relaxing on a train anytime soon thanks to the car tire company founder Mr. Firestone that meet with the president to stop train development. Think dentists that tell you that you need braces when you really don’t or eye doctors that tell you to get glasses when you don’t need them. At least specialized is selling exercise machines and Apple now has a heart rate monitor on the Apple Watch. The 2019 levo is not perfect, but it’s awesome, not cheap, but it’s way better than what the regular mtb people are getting for their money.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
My 2019 Expert wouldn’t turn on at first yesterday, I assumed it was a poor connection at battery charge point cap and gave it a quick clean before leaving home, I got it to switch on........ but 5 miles from home it shut itself down and wouldn’t switch back on :mad:
Tried everything I could with no luck. Got home and stripped out battery and top tube switch, dried and cleaned put back together and still it won’t switch on.
What I did notice: that occasionally during this time it would sometimes switch on when popping the battery charging point cover back into place but then if you switched it off on the top tube it wouldn’t switch on again.
Dropping into Chris at Berkshire Cycles this morning. From reading this thread I’m now guessing that my power lead has an issue as well. :(

PS. I didn't take the plastic motor cover off the left side as this was only done 2 weeks ago by myself to clean out the debris (a wheelbarrow full), it then went into Berkshire Cycles for the foam mod to be fitted.

PPS. The Seatpost is still not right and now even worse, lever is very stiff to push and it's had two replacement cables already. On examination, I now think something mechanically inside has become a further issue.
Hoping to get a replacement fitted with the new modded parts sometime in January.

Last edited:

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
My 2019 Expert wouldn’t turn on at first yesterday, I assumed it was a poor connection at battery charge point cap and gave it a quick clean before leaving home, I got it to switch on........ but 5 miles from home it shut itself down and wouldn’t switch back on :mad:
Tried everything I could with no luck. Got home and stripped out battery and top tube switch, dried and cleaned put back together and still it won’t switch on.
What I did notice: that occasionally during this time it would sometimes switch on when popping the battery charging point cover back into place but then if you switched it off on the top tube it wouldn’t switch on again.
Dropping into Chris at Berkshire Cycles this morning. From reading this thread I’m now guessing the power lead has an issue too. :(

Concerning yet again as it appears this is going to be a widespread issue, it is starting to look as though the current cables are going to fail over time and therefore replacing them with the same cable simply means they will need to be replaced again until they re-design it.

Please update us on what happens at Berkshire Cycles and if there is any further information for going forward.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
To add to this thread, I had several issues yesterday (after having the new cable fitted) with the attached error light showing on the Control Unit which led to the motor not engaging. I had to remove and re-fit the charge point cap each time to get it to work properly.

Took it out on a 26 mile ride with no problems whatsoever but its yet another niggle with the power that doesn't inspire confidence.

Please post up if anyone has had or is having anything similar to the below. (y)
20181230_095928.jpg

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
To add to this thread, I had several issues yesterday (after having the new cable fitted) with the attached error light showing on the Control Unit which led to the motor not engaging. I had to remove and re-fit the charge point cap each time to get it to work properly.

Took it out on a 26 mile ride with no problems whatsoever but its yet another niggle with the power that doesn't inspire confidence.

Please post up if anyone has had or is having anything similar to the below. (y) View attachment 9216

Let’s hope that was a one off!!

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
neils said:
PS. I didn't take the plastic motor cover off the left side as this was only done 2 weeks ago by myself to clean out the debris (a wheelbarrow full), it then went into Berkshire Cycles for the foam mod to be fitted.

Thats interesting as my power cable failed after having the motor casing cleaned and foam insert fitted on my 6 week service check with Berkshire Cycles. Its possible that any interference with that cable is causing it to fail so be cautious if you are cleaning out the casing yourself.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
So not great feedback on the error light.....I'm being told this is now down to yet another cable that needs to be replaced.....a sensor cable!! and I'm not the first to have this problem (yet again)

Starting to seem ridiculous to be honest and I'm not overly convinced as the problems seems to get a short term fix by slight movements to the power cable when replacing the charge point cap but this is a new cable so who knows.

Chris at Berks Cycles says he has a meeting with Specialized on Wednesday to discuss the problems and get some answers but in the meantime I am faced with a 3rd trip back to get a fix.

gazz

Oct 1, 2018
north wales
went to ride this afternoon and the bike wont switch on, removed all usual bits to inspect,a bit of a wiggle and push motor conection ,bingo bule lights ,but they went out and i am un able to get any life back inti the bike,phoned chris ,yep seems like you have a power lead failure,
bit shit realey,

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes my 2019 expert, started showing the error lights a few times, before the main cable failed and had to be replaced.
Chris at Berkshire Cycles sorted it the same day, so all good.
But if they're failing at this rate, how long before there are stock issues?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles