• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Insurance

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
I've just called my house insurance to up the limit of the policy and they will only cover a single bike up to £1500 which is no where near enough and they will not go any higher. Does anyone have recommendations for bike insurance in the UK that is not a silly price? I'm really only looking for theft protection. Thanks

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've just called my house insurance to up the limit of the policy and they will only cover a single bike up to £1500 which is no where near enough and they will not go any higher. Does anyone have recommendations for bike insurance in the UK that is not a silly price? I'm really only looking for theft protection. Thanks
I agree, need some options too for insurance.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
We have ours on our house insurance, john lewis i think and they cover any bikes up to 2 grand over that we have to name them. At the moment we have three bikes over 2 k and it costs us about 40 quid a month. The cover is in a locked garage/ store or in the house or in a locked car or locked to a bike rack which is locked to the car

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
I’ve done mine with these guys, 1 month rollin contract, interesting concept don’t know how it will play out yet!
Laka - Straightforward bicycle insurance powered by the community

Last edited:

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Thanks for the suggestions so far, at this stage I’m looking for a bike only policy as we have 6 months left on our house policy.

We also live in one of those houses that only a small number of insurers will actually give a sensible quote for, ive had quotes for £5000 a year or just been told they won’t insure us so we are quite limited on the house policies we can take out.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Interesting point, just wondered if public liability is likely to be more for an e-bike? Also do you need to tell the insurance company that it's a e-bike, it's probable that the person you are talking to on the phone is unlikely to know much about bikes. Give them a chance and they will wriggle out of any claims made.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ll second that. The quote I’ve just had is nothing short of amazing , with half a dozen bikes plus the new ebike I was getting quotes that were plain stupid for bike specific insurance and so limited in their restrictions
The pedalcover quote is very comprehensive . Even covers the bikes at races and for accident damage , abroad in the van , just everywhere

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
I was referring to insuring my house with house insurance above not adding a bike to the insurance. We are limited in our house insurance options so can't really shop around as there are only 4-5 main insurers that will cover our house for a sensible rate. Most insurers will refuse to quote us online and tell us to ring and then quote silly money. I think AXA and Barclays and a couple of others were the only ones that quoted a normal amount. I think it's because we live not too far from a river.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Jamie it’s worth a try , the policy was actually with axa , just fill in the online quote .
As for type of bike they dont ask you to specify each bike and possession Just the approx amount in value of your bikes , these people know about bikes they are cyclists and at least one ex pro cyclists , it’s the reason this is so different I guess , a cyclist has actually seen the shortcomings with cycle insurance and set out to fix it .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
it’s the reason this is no different I guess , a cyclist has actually seen the earning potential with cycle insurance and set out to cash in.
;)
Nobody gets into the insurance business for altruistic reasons. That being said, if it's the best out there, why not?

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Jamie it’s worth a try , the policy was actually with axa , just fill in the online quote

Ah good to know they may well cover us then, Our current house policy runs out in July so could switch then. Laka was quite expensive but if it's month-to-month then could be worth it for 3 months until it's under the house insurance.

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
Ah good to know they may well cover us then, Our current house policy runs out in July so could switch then. Laka was quite expensive but if it's month-to-month then could be worth it for 3 months until it's under the house insurance.
The way Laka works the quote you get is the most you pay depending on claims that month it could be nothing but I doubt it!!!

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
The way Laka works the quote you get is the most you pay depending on claims that month it could be nothing but I doubt it!!!

I see, I thought it was weird that the amount was listed as £0-36/month, I thought it was just a weird formatting thing. That makes more sense now.

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
I see, I thought it was weird that the amount was listed as £0-36/month, I thought it was just a weird formatting thing. That makes more sense now.
Plus I think they credit you £25 for the 1st month, crumbs yeah if I paid my top quote £42 pm it’ll be dearer then my car insurance

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
@Theolegit I contacted Laka and they don't currently cover bikes locked to or in a vehicle, this is a big gap in their cover so I think I'll give them a miss until they have better cover. Apparently it's something they are going to be adding in the future.

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
@Theolegit I contacted Laka and they don't currently cover bikes locked to or in a vehicle, this is a big gap in their cover so I think I'll give them a miss until they have better cover. Apparently it's something they are going to be adding in the future.
Well my bikes are locked in my Motorhome garage and the covered them! Hmmmm double standards methinks!!!!

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Got a quote from pedal cover and they are very good. As our house is in the same postcode as other houses that have a flood risk we often get high premiums. They managed to increase the excess to bring the quote down but then include excess protection which pays the excess in the event of a claim. Didn't even know such things were possible.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I went with a company called pedalcover. Got a great deal on my home insurance and covers my bikes up to £9k. Based in South Wales run by guys that ride.

Pedalcover: Best Combined Home and Bike Insurance
Many thanks for this post , it seems a few of us have finally found a decent insurance for our bikes .
Having had my bike stolen while cycle touring in France in 2016 I know what it’s like to find your insurance isn’t going to pay because they had so many little wriggle out clauses that it was worthless . That incidentally was nat West banks travel insurance that you get with thier gold account , one not to have

Beanieuk

Mar 31, 2018
Hertfordshire
Happy to help, a friend of mine that race's told me about them. Spoke to them on the phone and they know about bikes so was nice to have a chat. They even sent me a free pair of riding socks this year when I renewed my policy with them.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Happy to help, a friend of mine that race's told me about them. Spoke to them on the phone and they know about bikes so was nice to have a chat. They even sent me a free pair of riding socks this year when I renewed my policy with them.
Yes they certainly give that trusted feeling . Same for us With bikes away racing theres a constant concern that they aren’t covered at events and that seems to be one of the risky times .
Next time Iam camping my bike will be tied to my big toe when Iam sleeping ?

Tobi_Laka

Apr 25, 2018
London

Hi @jamied - this is Tobi from Laka. Just came across this forum. Love the engagement! As to the comment on the car / immovable object, this was clearly an oversight from us and we are currently adding cover for bikes locked in or to a car. We are working with insurance partner Zurich to resolve this asap and are aiming for an improved policy wording for all new and existing customers in the next two weeks.

Please fire away should you spot any other gaps that are essential. We are here to learn :)

Best, Tobi

Tobi_Laka

Apr 25, 2018
London
Plus I think they credit you £25 for the 1st month, crumbs yeah if I paid my top quote £42 pm it’ll be dearer then my car insurance

@Theolegit - thanks for giving us a try! Your personal cap is indeed the maximum price and we will only charge cyclists based on the actual cost of claims. The first 3 months of the year, customers indeed paid zero as clearly less going on over winter. I hope you bear with us even if we get close to your personal cap in the summer months. On average throughout the year, your cover should cost significantly less than market price.

Your £25 credit is rolling over until used up, and we have introduced a referral scheme that adds another £25 credit to your account for every cyclist joining us through your recommendation, and the new joiner gets the credit, too :geek:

Please let me know of any questions you might have.

Best, Tobi

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles