initial thoughts

Matt

Feb 12, 2019
Northamptonshire
Early days for me on an Emtb, but wanted to share my thoughts based on my first ride on my 2019 LT7 at a Swinley on a Friday. It’s worth saying I have previously ridden Swinley many, many times on hard tails and full Sussex’s so have a degree of experience but by no means a pro! In no particular order;

The ability to cover so much more ground is awesome, especially if you sessioning particular trail sections, or just getting the fireroads done quickly. Really great if you’re struggling for time.
Braking is something that requires a little more thought and anticipation, even when going uphill.
The balance of the bike is different, partly due to weight and also the battery in the down tube, this seems to make the front wheel heavy, I’ll try adjusting my position on the bike, maybe a shorter stem?
Tire pressures and suspension setup seem to have more impact on the ride so need to spend some time dialling that in.
Bigger diameter forks DO make a difference, keeping the front wheel tracking straight and feeling planted.
Battery life, 14 miles ridden, 9 miles remaining according to the display. 3 out of 5 bars remaining, slightly confusing but I assume this is due to the dynamic calculation of usage and the battery not having a linear profile during usage. The whole ride was in Emtb mode.
Bosch motor is much, much quieter than I expected. Noisier at lower speeds.
Cadence is important to get the best out of the motor.
The speed limiter comes in early, maybe 14 mph (when compared to Garmin), it does feel like hitting treacle as it decouples.
Be gentle with drive chain, I suspect if you’re heavy thumbed you’ll be going through chains etc very quickly.
Jury’s out on the Bontrager tires, knobby nics on my previous full Sussex seemed better but I suspect the sidewalls would be too thin for an Emtb.

Like I said it’s early days and my thoughts may change, I know there are a few people on the forum considering buying an Emtb so thought I’d share my thoughts. ?

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
Early days for me on an Emtb, but wanted to share my thoughts based on my first ride on my 2019 LT7 at a Swinley on a Friday. It’s worth saying I have previously ridden Swinley many, many times on hard tails and full Sussex’s so have a degree of experience but by no means a pro! In no particular order;

The ability to cover so much more ground is awesome, especially if you sessioning particular trail sections, or just getting the fireroads done quickly. Really great if you’re struggling for time.
Braking is something that requires a little more thought and anticipation, even when going uphill.
The balance of the bike is different, partly due to weight and also the battery in the down tube, this seems to make the front wheel heavy, I’ll try adjusting my position on the bike, maybe a shorter stem?
Tire pressures and suspension setup seem to have more impact on the ride so need to spend some time dialling that in.
Bigger diameter forks DO make a difference, keeping the front wheel tracking straight and feeling planted.
Battery life, 14 miles ridden, 9 miles remaining according to the display. 3 out of 5 bars remaining, slightly confusing but I assume this is due to the dynamic calculation of usage and the battery not having a linear profile during usage. The whole ride was in Emtb mode.
Bosch motor is much, much quieter than I expected. Noisier at lower speeds.
Cadence is important to get the best out of the motor.
The speed limiter comes in early, maybe 14 mph (when compared to Garmin), it does feel like hitting treacle as it decouples.
Be gentle with drive chain, I suspect if you’re heavy thumbed you’ll be going through chains etc very quickly.
Jury’s out on the Bontrager tires, knobby nics on my previous full Sussex seemed better but I suspect the sidewalls would be too thin for an Emtb.

Like I said it’s early days and my thoughts may change, I know there are a few people on the forum considering buying an Emtb so thought I’d share my thoughts. ?

Good to read a seasoned rider's thoughts on emtb riding.
I've been riding a mandraulic cube attention HT, but mainly old train lines, fire roads etc.
Went out on some DH trails at QECP on my new Fantic160 yesterday & bricked it most of the way down hahaha.
You really feel the weight in the corners & trying to avoid trackside trees.

I have nobby nic EVO TLE fitted as standard and the grip was brilliant considering how sharp the brakes are.

Loving the Brose motor too. Super silent & no real decoupling issues. Left it on 1 bar
all the way round, both up & down hill.

I need to try different suspension settings once I've got used to the bike. F&R both on mid settings, but felt a bit hard to me?

Mrs. has had a Haibike for 3-4 years, but I wasn't keen on the Bosch resistance thing, so I resisted following suit. Not sure why they've stuck with the tiny sprocket? But believe they're bringing out larger sizes. It can only help to ease the " headwind" effect imo.
Cheers,
Andy.

I have returned to work - which means my riding has reduced considerably.
I’m down to one ride a week - and mtb makes it happen .

So , today I went out and give the trail hell !
After riding a couple of hundred Kay’s a week to riding 20-30 , the difference is immense . I still can ride , my endurance has suffered a bit tho ......
But , I have a lot of confidence in the bike - give it time and that will come ,the bikes are incredibly capable - it is all in your head !

I’ve found that letting go is the best advice .
In saying that I’ve broken my screen , so have no idea do speeed , distance travelled , mtb mode or battery left .

It has freed my mind - just gotta ride .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles