Indecision is killing me!!

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Hi guys

Sorry for the long post!! I may be overthinking this!!

I’m 5’7 80kg with a 31” inside leg would the medium kenevo or Levo be a little too big? I am looking for your advice and experiences please. I was a pretty avid MTB rider when I was younger and spent a lot of time at a local hill making and riding downhill tracks and dirt jumps. I have recently been getting back into riding and discovered the new world of emtb. I have decided to get myself an e mountain bike and am close to either the kenevo or the Levo (mostly as I want a Brose motor). I have been unable to decide between the two for weeks now, I like the idea of the longer travel kenevo but not so keen on the older motor and the heavy weight. From what I have read the size medium kenevo and Levo May be borderline big for me. What do you think? The Levo looks great but I wonder how much punishment it can comfortably deal with? Is it able to handle jumps ( nothing mega I’m older now) or downhill? The other consideration is that I would like to use the bike for occasional commuting on roads and trails, pottering around with kids etc so I need something good all round. Is the kenevo still decent on trails and road riding? Or is it a bit of a charging monster? I expect the kenevo will probably be updated substantially for next year. Should I wait?

I am leaning towards the Levo as the sensible choice (but kind of secretly fancy the kenevo) is there other bikes better suited?

The main areas I will be riding are In Scotland such as Innerleithen, glen tress, cairngorm occasional fort William trips and Fife area such as barefoot.

Again sorry for such a long post and many questions but I hope you guys will help me out with your thoughts and riding experience. I am unlikely to manage a test ride before buying is it essential?

Cheers Dave!!!

TallPaul

Mar 17, 2019
YO325UH
Your kind of limited with your decision to only go for the Brose, any particular reason you don't want to give any of the other motors a go.
Having access to the trail centres you list would it not be worth hiring a couple of different bikes for comparison?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I'm only experienced with the Levo but for all round riding I think it's hard to beat if you wanted the Brose Motor. All the guys I speak to who have had or have Kenevo's say they are amazing at downhill and gnarly stuff.

One guy I ride with switched to the 2019 Levo from the Kenevo and hasn't looked back at all. From what you are saying a Levo would probably suit you better and it's by no means a slouch on the downhill or rocky rooty stuff.

I don't think a medium will be too small for you at all.

The older motor is chalk and cheese to the new Brose, I've ridden both. I've put 160mm travel on the Levo and it performs well above my skill level and I am not wishing I had any more travel that's for sure..I jump mine and have taken it to Aston Hill downhill. Never once have I thought I wished I had a kenevo. I have a feeling the Kenevo will be 'refreshed' before too long by something in comparison to the YT..I am only speculating BTW :)

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I just like the idea of the power, size, look and quiet Brose motor which is an opinion based solely on reviews of what Others have said. having not tried others though maybe it is too limiting. I had originally looked at a Vitus e- summer vr which looked a nice bike.

I feel a bit silly now as I hadn’t considered hire but that would definitely make sense.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
The Levo is best for what you want but I know what you mean about the Kenevo I love how it looks as well :) my wife Linda who is 5' 6" has a medium mens Levo on order and at your height a medium will be a good size for you go for it :)

Last edited:

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Hi guys

Sorry for the long post!! I may be overthinking this!!

I’m 5’7 80kg with a 31” inside leg would the medium kenevo or Levo be a little too big? I am looking for your advice and experiences please. I was a pretty avid MTB rider when I was younger and spent a lot of time at a local hill making and riding downhill tracks and dirt jumps. I have recently been getting back into riding and discovered the new world of emtb. I have decided to get myself an e mountain bike and am close to either the kenevo or the Levo (mostly as I want a Brose motor). I have been unable to decide between the two for weeks now, I like the idea of the longer travel kenevo but not so keen on the older motor and the heavy weight. From what I have read the size medium kenevo and Levo May be borderline big for me. What do you think? The Levo looks great but I wonder how much punishment it can comfortably deal with? Is it able to handle jumps ( nothing mega I’m older now) or downhill? The other consideration is that I would like to use the bike for occasional commuting on roads and trails, pottering around with kids etc so I need something good all round. Is the kenevo still decent on trails and road riding? Or is it a bit of a charging monster? I expect the kenevo will probably be updated substantially for next year. Should I wait?

I am leaning towards the Levo as the sensible choice (but kind of secretly fancy the kenevo) is there other bikes better suited?

The main areas I will be riding are In Scotland such as Innerleithen, glen tress, cairngorm occasional fort William trips and Fife area such as barefoot.

Again sorry for such a long post and many questions but I hope you guys will help me out with your thoughts and riding experience. I am unlikely to manage a test ride before buying is it essential?

Cheers Dave!!!
You won't regret buying the Levo, it's an amazing bike. I got Comp FSR 2018 and can't express how I'm satisfied with this beast!

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Thanks everyone it’s awesome to have people to talk about this too as my wife is thoroughly disinterested and no one else I know has any experience with the ebikes.

Ok so it sounds like the Levo is looking like the best bet for now. I was looking at the Alu comp 2019 version which is about as far as I can stretch for now is it worth the extra over the base model? I will probably upgrade the shocks at some point but don’t want to go there initially. Is the comp equipment up to some of the bigger hits?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unless you are going for the model with the 700Wh battery I’d buy the cheapest model and use the savings to put a better fork on it.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
Sounds like a plan!! Thanks last question for now is can the 2019 Levo be derestricted for top speed? It would have to be a mechanical workaround and not something that would invalidate warrantee or is it just simply not possible for the 2019. I would only use this for commuting. I understand if you don’t want to post how but just yes or no would be good as I’ll figure it out if it can be done.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Sounds like a plan!! Thanks last question for now is can the 2019 Levo be derestricted for top speed? It would have to be a mechanical workaround and not something that would invalidate warrantee or is it just simply not possible for the 2019. I would only use this for commuting. I understand if you don’t want to post how but just yes or no would be good as I’ll figure it out if it can be done.
Here is one option...

I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase - EMTB Forums

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
If you want brose, you can also look at Bulls, Fantic and BH. Depending on discounts from LBS they may be interesting options.

However, as stated already in this thread, the difference between Brose S and S mag is substantial. I rode a Fantic 160 with Brose S this weekend (Rob has a review on the mainpage). The motor is awesome but not substanitally better in power or delivery compared to Shimano. It is incredbily silent and natural feeling, but not dramatically more so than Shimano for example. The new one feels a lot more alive.

I have not tested Levo vs kenevo, but unless you really need the extra travel, on paper I would go for the levo and all the R&D that comes with it.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
?‍♂️ Man I have dithered around so much that all the Levos seem to have been sold out in the colours I wanted with 0% fin. Time to get searching and finally buying!! Seems to be more base models around than comps but I guess I can upgrade over time.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Man I have dithered around so much that all the Levos seem to have been sold out in the colours I wanted with 0% fin. Time to get searching and finally buying!! Seems to be more base models around than comps but I guess I can upgrade over time.
Nothing wrong with the base models
456963668.jpg

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
That looks mint!!! The sales photos don’t do that frame justice even without all the bling bling attached I bet it must look decent. Is that the black and nice blue base model frame?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
What’s the max size fox dropper you can put on a Levo? I’ve got an XL so it’s a 160mm dropper command post.. Will it take the fox 170mm dropper? Looks beautiful..

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Nothing wrong with the base models View attachment 12840
Thaaaaats not exactly base anymore, now is it?! One of the best looking bikes I have seen and a great spec. Now you just need a factory dpx2 and dreams officially do come true...
Thanks chap. Yeah, I'd love to put that shock on there. If you lend me 500 I will I had to be sensible and get a van. I'd already blown half the van budget on the forks. Could've quite easily bought a dpx2 and 175 transfer though.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I’m looking at dropper posts as my bike arrives tomorrow. I take it I can only use droppers with a 410mm down tube length??

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
If you decide to go for the Levo, contact Chris @berkshirecycles the service, knowledge and help is incredible.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
It’s a medium I went for this with a shim Brand-X Ascend XL 170mm Dropper Seatpost as it was on a deal for just over £100 I hope it fits.

Davey S

Apr 9, 2019
Scotland
I had misread the seat post specs as being the full length in the down tube hadn’t realised 50% Approx was the dropper length above the frame.

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Get the Kenevo! Sounds like you may be downhill orientated and the Kenevo has the correct geometry and is very capable. But there is not a bad choice either way.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles