If you have a Brose motor? Could I ask for your help please.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi all, thanks for reading this, if you make it to the end! I am posting here because I’m asking for your thoughts and opinions on Brose motor repairs. Please leave a comment if you can.

6 months ago, I started a company called Performance Line Bearings. My main aim was to supply bearings and parts for the Bosch motor. I had the un-obtainable bearings manufactured and eventually sourced the rest. I was asked if I could do other motors? so next, I went on to do the Yamaha, Impulse and Panasonic motors. Now, I am doing the Brose motor, and that’s where you guys come in! The Brose motor is proving extremely awkward and expensive to achieve a repair solution.

The problem is, with all the other motors, I could either source the parts or have large quantities manufactured to make them affordable. I can’t do this with the Brose, sadly there just isn’t enough out there and Brose have used some particularly odd bearing types and sizes.

Would you deem it acceptable to buy a good quality bearing that looked different from the original? Would you be happy to add a seal when fitting a new bearing?

Would you feel ripped off if the cost of a full bearing set was around £200 just for the bearings?
Can anyone tell me the cost of a new Brose motor?
Your answers and comments will help me decide whether to invest in supporting this motor when its warranty expires or not.
Sorry to do a consumer survey on you guys, but if you would rather buy a new motor than pay, probably in the ball park of £275 - £300 for a full overhaul, I would rather find out now.
Thank you for your time.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If I was out of warranty I would go for the cheapest option and I have absolutely no issues about look as long as functionality is there. Your bearing will for sure be of better quality anyway as I'm sure that Specialized/Brose took all the cheapest options to gain more profit. As far as I know Specialized have an exchange plan where you hand in your defective motor and then you can buy a "new" for around €1000.

Karsten

RichP

Jul 15, 2018
Chesterfield
Well I have a 1.3 and if it’s cheaper than getting a new one, then I would definitely want the parts to repair it myself or get you to.

When it comes to what looks different, if there’s no discernible difference to the performance of the motor, then fine.
Same here bud! I’d be happy to fit decent quality bearings myself as long as the last!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
If I was out of warranty I would go for the cheapest option and I have absolutely no issues about look as long as functionality is there. Your bearing will for sure be of better quality anyway as I'm sure that Specialized/Brose took all the cheapest options to gain more profit. As far as I know Specialized have an exchange plan where you hand in your defective motor and then you can buy a "new" for around €1000.

Karsten
A thousand Euro!!! :eek: Wow, maybe at £200 I'm too cheap! :LOL:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i think the motor exchange thing is about £450

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
i think the motor exchange thing is about £450

I'm sure that the cost is different from country to country, my local LBS here in Denmark said it would be around €1000. I hope that I don't have test it out!

Karsten

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
This looks like the same as the Bosch motor! From £500 to £950! Not sure what's going on with these prices but it really needs sorting, no one knows what these things are costing or going to cost!?

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
This looks like the same as the Bosch motor! From £500 to £950! Not sure what's going on with these prices but it really needs sorting, no one knows what these things are costing or going to cost!?

Worst thing in terms of what can’t be fixed is the cost of a Yamaha battery. £829 for one. I’ve seen new Bosch ones for 300.

Maybe we could have a “batteries man” that fixes batteries, too.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Worst thing in terms of what can’t be fixed is the cost of a Yamaha battery. £829 for one. I’ve seen new Bosch ones for 300.

Maybe we could have a “batteries man” that fixes batteries, too.
I am working on it! I am speaking with a guy in Norway and a guy in Spain, hopefully between us we will come up with a working solution. (y)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I wonder if there’s a market for adapters? A standard BB that could bolt into your bike while your motor is being serviced or warranteed
Also not sure if it’s possible but maybe an adapter from bikes with the larger motors to fit a cheaper/smaller replacement in place. Or upgrade your older Brose to the new lighter mag?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
FWIW I would pay £200-300 to do it myself, *if* the service was fairly straight forward to do. Your videos about Bosch CX servicing scare me a bit!

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I wonder if there’s a market for adapters? A standard BB that could bolt into your bike while your motor is being serviced or warranteed
Also not sure if it’s possible but maybe an adapter from bikes with the larger motors to fit a cheaper/smaller replacement in place. Or upgrade your older Brose to the new lighter mag?

Being able to upgrade may rely on having the 2019 battery as well, though.

Kbanny

Sep 27, 2018
Barnoldswick (LANCS)
Yeah I'm on the bosch power tube 500 about £600 with postage ???

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I would happily pay for a service when it comes up. Only issue is removing the motor. ’ve factored in a motor overhaul in about a year or so..I just wish someone would start making aftermarket batteries a bit cheaper!!

I’m sure your overhaul would be far better than Brose/Specialized.

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Being able to upgrade may rely on having the 2019 battery as well, though.

Ya I wasn’t sure how ez, or even if it’s possible , to make/supply electrical adapters for different batteries
Even if the motor/crank ended a touch lower,with a motor adapter, that could be adjusted with longer travel fork/9erwheel/headset cupextender
Originally I thought an adapter with a standard BB to mount a traditional crankmight be nice to have. A lot of threads on the forums talk of motor warrantee , bearing slop, batteryfailure , display/software “bricking”. Seems like it be nice to have the option at home or to take on a trip in case something happens. Wouldn’t take long to swap the motor out to the trad bb/crank and salvage a trip
If there was adapters to Shimano motors, that seems like it be the easiest/cheapest to have a steps 6000 on hand.first couple years of dropper posts we always had a spare on hand after we were spoiled and couldn’t ride without them. Shimano motor would be like twice the price as some droppers but gotta do what ya gotta do. I guess you could have the option of swapping your Ecommuter motor onto your emtb , if that’s an option

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles