Ican E11 - any experience?

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Hi guys, new to the forum, and new to ebiking. Been custom building and racing mtb's for nearly 25 yrs, but eBikes are on the cards.
Looking to do a DIY build, and seen the Ican E11 which seems to tick the boxes. Anyone experience?
Also, any advice where to find a Bafang motor and battery kit for a good price? Been on Ali, but hard to know what all I need beyond the M600 motor and 04-battery.
Cheers for any help!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
home
Looks like you're the first: the hero who's going to figure it out for everyone.
The positive is that you can make youtube videos of this adventure and earn some money with these videos. :)
Have a look at TosaBikes.com in Poland. He sells the Bafang motor.
The battery (its frame mount, wires, etc) ... good question. Its not clear what is delivered with the frame wrt battery.
Before buying the frame better find out everything about all required parts.

Last edited:

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
I'm waiting for mine (E11 frame) to arrive. was ordered with the m500 motor and battery but they did not receive it from bafang, some delay from their side due to parts shortage.
so i cancel the motor and order it from alibaba.. both frame and motor are on the way. hope to get them in the next few week.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
The M600 is really overloaded with torque. If you are a really fit rider and weigh below 80kg, the M500 will suffice. Having said that, if you dont really ride technical trails then the M600 is perfect. I find the M600 torque really difficult to control over technical trails as when u ratchet the crank over roots or ruts, it surges and u really need to put weight on the front wheel without it lifting up and lose traction. The bafang engineers really need to ride the stuff they put in the market as subtle things like this really irks you.

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Thanks for the advice. I guess you can reduce the torque on the controller though? Mostly the extra torque was for towing kids off the back in our case, for bikepacking weekends :)

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
got my frame and motor a few weeks back... all up and running now

20210914_181605.jpg

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
How easy was it all to build and setup? I've built many, many, analogue mtb's, but this'll be my first eBike build!

Then I don't think you will have any problem building, it is just the same as any bike just with a bit extra power wires to connect.
It's not too bad to build, just minor little details nth too major.
That been said you still need this trunnion spacer yourself, it sit between the frame and upper shock.
It doest come with the frame. It's from Evil frame trunnion bolt spacer.

One thing to note is the seat post insertion is not much.. as you can see from my pic that's the max it will go.. I'm running a 150mm fox transfer post and it's running a bit too high for me, thinking of changing it to 125mm.

calling-following-mb-trunnion-shock-bolt-kit_2048x.jpg

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Then I don't think you will have any problem building, it is just the same as any bike just with a bit extra power wires to connect.
It's not too bad to build, just minor little details nth too major.
That been said you still need this trunnion spacer yourself, it sit between the frame and upper shock.
It doest come with the frame. It's from Evil frame trunnion bolt spacer.

One thing to note is the seat post insertion is not much.. as you can see from my pic that's the max it will go.. I'm running a 150mm fox transfer post and it's running a bit too high for me, thinking of changing it to 125mm.

View attachment 72354
Thanks, that's REALLY helpful :)

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
got my frame and motor a few weeks back... all up and running now

View attachment 72252
Hi,
Me again.
Wondered if you can please send me pics of the underside of your frame, with both the battery in ace, as well as with it removed? Reason I ask is that the battery/motor company I used sent me a massive metal fabricated 'battery adaptor' which doesn't fit in the frame, and I'm not even sure it's needed!
Thanks in advance for some detailed pics if you don't mind making 5 mins.

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
Hi,
Me again.
Wondered if you can please send me pics of the underside of your frame, with both the battery in ace, as well as with it removed? Reason I ask is that the battery/motor company I used sent me a massive metal fabricated 'battery adaptor' which doesn't fit in the frame, and I'm not even sure it's needed!
Thanks in advance for some detailed pics if you don't mind making 5 mins.

near the bottom mount
20211201_132038.jpg

near the headtube
20211201_132030.jpg

If you're talking about this, I believe it's to convert your non-Emtb to a Emtb replacing the downtube and BB.

20211201_132111.jpg

Hope this helps..

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
near the bottom mount
View attachment 77192

near the headtube
View attachment 77193

If you're talking about this, I believe it's to convert your non-Emtb to a Emtb replacing the downtube and BB.

View attachment 77194

Hope this helps..
Hi again,
Just getting to the final stages of my build, now having a few minutes to dedicate to it!
Couple of questions:
1. When fitted, is your battery flush with the frame? My BT F04 600 battery sits out from the frame quite a bit (see picture).
2. When the battery is slotted in, it's near impossible to remove, stuck solid! I'm having the unbolt the lower bracket bolts to remove it.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks for your help 👍🏼

PXL_20220110_175159693.jpg

PXL_20220110_175140709.jpg

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
It would really help if ICAN included some kind of assembly instructions!! I'm no bike building novice, quite the contrary, but still, basic guidance would help!

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Hi again,
Just getting to the final stages of my build, now having a few minutes to dedicate to it!
Couple of questions:
1. When fitted, is your battery flush with the frame? My BT F04 600 battery sits out from the frame quite a bit (see picture).
2. When the battery is slotted in, it's near impossible to remove, stuck solid! I'm having the unbolt the lower bracket bolts to remove it.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks for your help 👍🏼

View attachment 79671

View attachment 79672
So I've sorted the battery removal issue, but still, the battery sticks out from the frame a lot when fitted, and there's a gaping hole at the top end where mud and rain can get into the frame, exactly where the terminals are!!?
@lalaland - any chance I can see how your battery fits in comparison? Assume you have the BT F04 600 battery also?

PXL_20220111_071423121.jpg

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
Hey! sorry for the late reply.. haven't login for awhile. Mine sits flush with the frame, it was a bit hard to sit all the way in at first due to the metal spring, so I had to bend it just a bit so it doesn't push the battery out too hard. also try to fit the battery shield to the battery might just close the gap a bit more, I also fit some car door trimmings at the side of the battery shield just to weather proof it a bit.

For the battery, I'm using the BT F03 400 but should be the same size as yours.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 13.09.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 13.09.44 (1).jpeg

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Hey! sorry for the late reply.. haven't login for awhile. Mine sits flush with the frame, it was a bit hard to sit all the way in at first due to the metal spring, so I had to bend it just a bit so it doesn't push the battery out too hard. also try to fit the battery shield to the battery might just close the gap a bit more, I also fit some car door trimmings at the side of the battery shield just to weather proof it a bit.

For the battery, I'm using the BT F03 400 but should be the same size as yours.

View attachment 80134

View attachment 80135
Thanks for coming back to me @lalaland.

My battery is a 600, so is much deeper than the 400, thus why it sits out from the frame :( I wish ICAN advised this before purchase!
As a result, my frame has no battery cover like yours, and is quite open to the elements. I'm honestly really disappointed, and ICAN aren't being very helpful at all.

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
have you checked with ican? the frame stated it's comparable with both batteries.
anyway just to be sure your battery fits and works but it's not flush with the frame right?

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
have you checked with ican? the frame stated it's comparable with both batteries.
anyway just to be sure your battery fits and works but it's not flush with the frame right?
Exactly. It fits, and locks into place securely, but sticks out by nearly an inch, but the worst aspect is that top and bottom, there's gaping gaps for crap to get into the electrical terminals and inner frame in general. I've emailed ICAN again to ask they take this more seriously to find an adequate solution, as it's not fit for anything bar super dry conditions presently.

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
Exactly. It fits, and locks into place securely, but sticks out by nearly an inch, but the worst aspect is that top and bottom, there's gaping gaps for crap to get into the electrical terminals and inner frame in general. I've emailed ICAN again to ask they take this more seriously to find an adequate solution, as it's not fit for anything bar super dry conditions presently.
I bought the exact motor and battery kit recommended on the ICAN website, so hopefully they're committed to resolving this!

lalaland

Jul 27, 2021
singapore
i see.. best is to change to a smaller battery. hope they are able to help you

all worst just ride the crap out of it with some weatherproof trimming.

Cyclopathic

Aug 1, 2021
Reading
i see.. best is to change to a smaller battery. hope they are able to help you

all worst just ride the crap out of it with some weatherproof trimming.
Thanks. Need to figure out how to weatherproof it a bit, without ugly fudge fixes like duct tape! Did you find a good product for the sides?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles