I think Focus is using non-optimal chainrings on some of their e-bikes (jam², thron²)

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I'm having some troubles with the stock FSA chainring on my Thron 6.9. I think Focus is using non-optimal parts on this bike (also noticed they use the same chainring on Shimano drivetrain Jam²)

On my new Thron2, with a FSA G4 34t megatooth chainring, When pedelling uphill mainly off-road(especially on grass), and putting pressure on the pedals, it makes a noise from the chainring and a sensation through the pedals. After closer inspection it appears the chainring isn't letting go of the chain properly causing a bit of 'chainsuck'. The problem comes and goes a bit, the video below demonstrates it at its absolute worst:

Focus sent me another FSA chainring this time instead of a direct mount it was a 104bcd attached to a spider. Same tooth profile, same issue straight away. The chain was also replaced at that time.

I believe that focus isn't using the optimal chainrings on the Thron/jam for the Hyperglide+ chain. FSA megatooth chainrings are made for 1x11, not 1x12, and Hyperglide+ chains are especially picky about the chainring tooth profile.

So I purchased an Ethirteen e*spec Bosch direct mount chainring that Trek uses on the Rail 7 with the same 12 speed SLX cassette and chain. On ethirteens website it specifically says it's compatible with 12 speed shimano. My bike is with my lbs now getting it fitted.

Wolftooth components has a good writeup on the difference between chainrings / chain engagement for Hyperglide + chainrings and what happens if you use the wrong one is exactly what's happening with me on my Thron with both the FSA megatooth chainrings:

As per the above link, it appears that the FSA chainring uses the first "drop stop A" style of tooth, where as the new Ethirteen uses the third "drop stop ST".

So I have high hopes that when I pick up my bike this week that the issue will be resolved and the pedaling will be a lot smoother. You can see in this picture the wear on the wide teeth. This is the spot where the Hyperglide + chain inner link comes in a bit.

20200828_151131.jpg

After emailing FSA they informed me that only the megatooth chainrings with 'SH12' designation printed on it are compatible with Shimano 12 speed chain. So the plain FSA megatooth chainrings are not optimal and may cause extra chain wear/chain suck.

Screenshot_20201005-105353_Photos.jpg

I'll let you all know how my bike is when I get it back from the lbs with the E*thirteen chainring.

*edit* few months later, i can confirm that the bikes are now shipping with the correct SH12 chainrings. However still the models i see in my local store have the old chainring. So might want to double check what you've got.

This is a screenshot from a youtube video of a 2021 Thron with the new update chainring. Check out how different the teeth profile are! And clearly you can see why the existing chainring was a problem..

thron chainring.png

Last edited:

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Just for posterity, I messaged someone on this forum who also has a Thron, asking them a question and they replied with this:

"I looked back what you were complaining about and it hit me like a bolt. I’m on 4 day ride in Scottish Highlands and exactly the same clacking started yesterday. I hadn’t a clue what it was. I stopped and could see nothing wrong. I rode again and no clacking - but it really worried me, it was such unhealthy sound and feel through the pedals. I was anticipating a pending issue inside the motor. I listened to your recording and it’s exactly the same sound. I’m so pleased you reached out. It could take me a month to get to your understanding of the issue ."

So it's interesting that literally the first person I talked to about this issue is experiencing the exact same problem right now. I figured it can't just be me experiencing this.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Couldn't it be simply that the ring is for 1x11? If it is slightly wider profile it will hang onto the chain? I have a very cheap after market ring on my shimano 12x and it isn't any trouble. It is a narrow wide ring but I went to the trouble of confirming that it was 12x compatible - so many manufacturers and sellers don't state what their rings are compatible with.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Yes, I think that is exactly the problem. I spoke directly with FSA and they told me that only the megatooth chainrings stamped with "SH12" are compatible with shimano 12 speed chains.

And so the Shimano 12 speed specific inner link on the chain catches on the too-wide tooth under load, causing it to not release smoothly.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I contacted Fsa Canada asking if they had shimano 12 speed compatible chainrings for Bosch and their reply was this:
“We will not have chain rings for Shimano 12 speed at this time.”

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
They said to me "You may ask your bike brander to send you megatooth with the marking SH12 which will solve the current problem." And also provided the picture above with the "megatooth sh12" imprint. :unsure:

PenSki

Jun 4, 2020
Western Australia
Thanks for posting Akelu. I have the same issue on my Focus when using the first three gears. This would correlate to putting the most angle and tension on the chain so would make sense that it is when the worst “gripping” of the chainring teeth is occuring.

Up until now I have just avoided using the first three gears; lazy way out! I will also start chasing up a replacement chainring.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
So I got my bike back today from my LBS and they fit the E*Thirteen E*spec steel Bosch gen 4 direct mount chainring.

It has completely resolved my chain suck issue. It's honestly like a whole new bike. Pedalling uphill I feel a much better connection between myself and the bike. It is much more pleasant.

The original chainring is an FSA WB459 which FSA confirmed does not support 12 speed shimano.

Here it is:
20201008_172118.jpg

:cool:(y)

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Also I confirmed with Focus the chainline on the Thron (I'd imagine it's the same for the Jam), and that is 52/53mm. The steel e*spec chainring is 52 so that's a perfect fit.

Dsab1

Oct 12, 2020
Australia
Great post Akelu, I’m having issues on a jam2 with the drivetrain - am getting feedback through the drive side pedal as you described, felt like the bearing in the pedal was shot, this being unlikely as they were brand new ! Turned out to be the bolt holding the crank arm on the spindle working loose. I retightened it thinking I had solved the issue but noticed the same issue again only 2 rides later. Again the bolt was loose, maybe I’m getting the chain suck as well which is causing the problem. I’m generally disappointed with the ( cheap ) FSA components specced - the crank arms are a poor design , especially the overhang past the pedal shaft and using a chain ring if not Shimano 12 speed compatible is very poor form from FOCUS. I plan to swap out the cranks and chainring ASAP, biggest problem is sourcing them here in Australia.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
It's easy to check for chainsuck,
Just use your phone to record video clearly capturing the chainring/chain with your right hand while you ride slowly up a hill of grass with high torque on the pedals (like what I was doing in my clip), you can match the sound to the chain bouncing as it comes off the chainring. Try various gears and assist modes.

And looking at it now you are right the FSA cranks do have a lot of overhang, especially compared to the cranks below. I've already had a few pedal strikes..

In terms of parts for Australia, I got mine from dirtworksb2b they sell the chainrings and the cranks:

E*thirteen e*spec Bosch CX gen4 165mm cranks (other lengths available) : Cranks e*spec Plus Crank | 165mm | Bosch CX Gen4 (CS3LPA-105) - e*thirteen

E*thirteen e*spec Bosch CX Gen 4 Chainring steel 34t:

Dsab1

Oct 12, 2020
Australia
Just use your phone to record video clearly capturing the chainring/chain with your right hand while you ride slowly up a hill of grass with high torque on the pedals (like what I was doing in my clip), you can match the sound to the chain bouncing as it comes off the chainring. Try various gears and assist modes.

And looking at it now you are right the FSA cranks do have a lot of overhang, especially compared to the cranks below. I've already had a few pedal strikes..

In terms of parts for Australia, I got mine from dirtworksb2b they sell the chainrings and the cranks:

E*thirteen e*spec Bosch CX gen4 165mm cranks (other lengths available) : Cranks e*spec Plus Crank | 165mm | Bosch CX Gen4 (CS3LPA-105) - e*thirteen

Dsab1

Oct 12, 2020
Australia
Thanks for info Akelu, I’ve just ordered Ethirteen chainring & cranks from Bike 24. Went with 160 mm cranks.
I didn’t mention it in previous post but after reading negative info regarding chain stretch with SLX 7100 chains I upgraded chain to XTR 9100 (as the XT chains are hard to source.) anyway I was wondering if the chain stretch issue was maybe affecting your chain suck issue ?
Will let you know how my new set up goes. Cheers.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
My lbs checked for chain wear and said it was very neglible.

And yeah, let me know how it all goes. Did you go for the 34t? I think I would like to try 36t as I use my bike for touring as well (which the Thron is for), so lots of time in the lower gears, however I'm unsure if there's enough chainstay clearance.

Regarding the cranks let me know how they go too :) may I ask why you went for the shorter cranks?

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I've ordered the E13 36T aluminum ring for my rail 9.7, to replace the 36T SRAM ring.
ETA on the ring is about a week here in Canada, whereas the steel E13 ring was out of stock or not available.

I've read about the one time use oring (part# 1270016119) that should be replaced; going to call my LBS this morning to discuss if they can do the swap as i don't have the proper tools (puller and lock ring tools).

Chop

Oct 28, 2020
Sydney

And yeah, let me know how it all goes. Did you go for the 34t? I think I would like to try 36t as I use my bike for touring as well (which the Thron is for), so lots of time in the lower gears, however I'm unsure if there's enough chainstay clearance.

Regarding the cranks let me know how they go too :) may I ask why you went for the shorter cranks?
When you change the chain ring from 34 to 36 or 38 did i need change chain?

Terrafirma

Oct 7, 2020
Australia
My small group has 3 Throns. 2 x 6.8 and 1 x 6.7 and one of the guys had chain suck which the dealer has now finally confirmed it was caused by having an incorrect front chain ring. The chain suck scratched the paint on the bike so they have agreed to repair the paint damage too. We aren't sure yet if this is the case with all bikes or just some? Waiting on the correct chain ring to get to the bottom of it. Disappointing that Focus could make such an error but at least the issue is being addressed. They are a good bike nevertheless I wouldn't want to deter people from buying them I guess all brands can have their issues.

Dsab1

Oct 12, 2020
Australia

Hi Akelu,
I’m still waiting on the chainring to come from os so haven’t been able to complete the new set up. I’ve got 160 mm cranks because I intend to run the bike as a mullet ( next upgrade ) also as mentioned before those cheap and poorly designed cranks were prone to excessive pedal strikes anyway. In the meantime I’m waiting for FOX to return my fork - was getting a loud knocking noise that was resonating through the front wheel, turned out to be that the rebound adjustment was stuck on full fast basically no adjustment . Looking forward to getting it put back together and getting out there again ( if it ever stops raining here ).

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I got the Ethirteen espec 160mm cranks on hand haven't put them on yet. Not sure about chainstay clearance hopefully it should be fine. And will get the bosch short crank firmware installed at same time.

LanzaSteve

Jun 17, 2020
Lanzarote
Hi guys I’ve got the same problem with my Thron 2. Just ordered the e13 chainring from bike-discount de. About the only place showing stock. Thanks Akelu (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles