I fell off---- a lesson for me.. has this happened to anyone else?

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi all,
On Saturday morning, the 2nd time on my Levo-19 on the Surrey Hills trails.... approaching a 40cm drop off over a fallen tree- I wouldn't normally have any trouble on this at all on my Capra... however... I thought that I would practice popping the front wheel off of the drop with a peddle stroke ..... I shouldn't have done, as all of a sudden my front wheel was way above my head and I was flying through the air holding on to the bars waiting for the impact.. luckily I fell on my right hand side (if I'd fallen on my left, that wouldn't have been good as I had collar-bone surgery 6 weeks ago)
As always.. when we fall off, we quickly get back on and check whether anyone had seen... luckily my trail mates were in front of me!!
I'm bruised, bent my fingers back, the bike is unscathed and I broke my helmet (I've now ordered a full face as I value my teeth..)
My lesson- when the power comes on, its quick and fast... I need to adjust to an ebike before I get too cocky again
Has this happened to anyone else??
StevoKickstart

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
not happened to me but i would suggest knocking the acceleration setting back ,i have mine set at 30% and the bike is much better to handle when the power comes in

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Thanks for the tips both. I'm on a steep learning curve. In some respects its like learning from scratch again. Krisj- I didn't have time to feather the brake- it happened fast; I'll know next time though what to expect!!
I do miss the instant front wheel in the air from a pedal stroke on my Capra, but I have to learn/manage the slightly delayed but greater power from the eBike- all fun and games

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One of the things you learn as you get used to an EMTB, is that you can do a peddle dab rather than a full stroke to get the same result. However riding around technical trails on turbo, can often lead to the bike being over responsive.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I crash like a boss all the time.
don't worry about it. You're not injured badly and that's all that matters.
I'd probably give up riding mtb completely if I found myself riding so far within my limits I never crashed.

learn to lift your front wheel by manualing as well as wheelying. it's actually a far more useful skill and once you're competent at small manuals you'll be far more stable leaving a drop in a manny than a wheelie (foot position will be better).

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Thanks for the tips both. I'm on a steep learning curve. In some respects its like learning from scratch again. Krisj- I didn't have time to feather the brake- it happened fast; I'll know next time though what to expect!!
I do miss the instant front wheel in the air from a pedal stroke on my Capra, but I have to learn/manage the slightly delayed but greater power from the eBike- all fun and games[/

It takes time to adjust to an ebike matey and how they perform
key is practice in a safe zone first.
Everything takes a lot more effort on an ebike for instance bunny hopping takes a lot more effort than on a normal mtb. Same with getting the front wheel up , (although you seem to have found this easy lol ) but joke a side it takes practice on an ebike with the added weight and geometry,like I said just remember always cover that back brake.
Once you sussed the motor performance and weight difference you’ll be shredding trails like you’ve never done before.
Stay safe and practice practice practice ??

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
One of the things you learn as you get used to an EMTB, is that you can do a peddle dab rather than a full stroke to get the same result. However riding around technical trails on turbo, can often lead to the bike being over responsive.
I was in trail at 70% max power available. I need to practice the manual as this would be far better to control!

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I crash like a boss all the time.
don't worry about it. You're not injured badly and that's all that matters.
I'd probably give up riding mtb completely if I found myself riding so far within my limits I never crashed.

learn to lift your front wheel by manualing as well as wheelying. it's actually a far more useful skill and once you're competent at small manuals you'll be far more stable leaving a drop in a manny than a wheelie (foot position will be better).
I know Gary! I wish I could manual for more than 2 metres!!
So far I've struggled getting the front up, which is probably why I chose to wheeley I think...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I wish I could manual for more than 2 metres!!
You don't need to manual for anymore than that to raise the front going off a drop.
what you need to be practicing is manualling off small drops, levelling out the bike and noseing in to match the landing transition.
it's exactly the same technique for a 40cm drop as it is for a 4 metre one. and neither need more than a bike lengths manual

Cryptwalk

Oct 3, 2018
Uk
I fell off mine also, went over the handlebars at speed on a fire road, don’t know what happened really but I think the front wheel went from under me, I blame the tyres and my concentration levels at the time (my lad had gone off down a fire road instead of seeing the red sign for trail, so I was shouting for him as we were far from home and first time out for him)

Got a few war marks on the bike but nothing too serious. I did end up at a&e the next day though where they had to needle a deep cut in my elbow and pull out bits of gravel. Worst fall ever for me, really hurt.

Wasn’t pleasant, bought lots of armour the next week. Also some new tyres now. ?

The lad found his way back.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
For a small drop like that I wouldn’t have lifted the front wheel rather just got my (considerable) body weight backwards and let gravity do it’s thing. As has been said, also cover the back brake at all times.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I fell off mine also, went over the handlebars at speed on a fire road, don’t know what happened really but I think the front wheel went from under me

Fire roads are a common place to get a serious injuries in bike parks, riders are rushing between trails at high speed but not concentrating because it's only a fire road. They hit a rock or washout and suddenly its time for a visit to the hospital.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
A mate of mine said of your not coming off your bike at least once every 3 months you aren’t pushing yourself :)

Everything I’ve read and experienced is get back on the bike and try it again soon as.

I only ride with body armour now, sometimes seems overkill but had a couple of offs which has saved elbows and ribs.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles