Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Picture fitted on the hub

20190214_202326.jpg

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
So I sorted one of my issues out which it was the cap not sealing the internals and moving all over the place. So I designed and made this prototype cap which fits snuggly on the outside.

I think this design is a very good idea as the ingress point is on the inner edge which is more shielded from mud than the outer, also the cover will spin with the ring gear as you pedal and sling mud off, away from the axle.
However it might not be possible in the 3D print material. I am guessing it is a slightly flexible plastic that has a friction fit on the big gear ?

Also the clearance here could be compromised -

20181221_110301-jpg.9029

img_20190212_173835-jpg.10782

Last edited:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
I think this design is a very good idea as the ingress point is on the inner edge which is more shielded from mud than the outer, also the cover will spin as you pedal and sling mud off, away from the axle.
However it might not be possible in the 3D print material. I am guessing it is a slightly flexible plastic that has a friction fit on the big gear ?

Also the clearance here could be compromised -

clearance-jpg.9019

img_20190212_173835-jpg.10782

Yes it's a friction fit to the big gear.
The thickness is exactly the same with the original cap....0.74mm thick.

Unfortunately, for some reason on my bike I already have clearance issues to the chain stay even with the original cap....See my post in page 8

High Voltage

Jan 18, 2019
Peru
Hi @Scoobaru, the latest design of the LSS DT does not need any O-rings. It has the correct diameter for the DT Swiss hub and also has a built in spring mechanism to expand around the axle (in case of slight variation).

@High Voltage, about the small gap, that is mostly due to clearance issues to prevent frame rubbing. Note also that by design there is movement between the cover and the ring gear (i.e., one rotates and the other does not) so it's not as simple as putting silicone on the gap as that would glue them together and the LSS wouldn't work anymore. Perhaps with some clever silicone work you could lessen the gap without bonding them. At some point I'll try to re-visit the cover and see if I can improve it to lessen the gap (without affecting frame clearance). Thanks for the feedback.
Hi JD.... I already found out that there is movement between the cover and the ring gear....i will look forward for the design of a new cover . As it is now there is a lot of potential for dust to come inside the ring gear..... i ride in very dusty trails....I will report if there is any wear of the system..

RITSON

Nov 18, 2018
Mandarin1
Hi jd_3d

I have now managed to do a decent ride in wet & muddy conditions and the LSS worked perfectly. The gap between the cover and the main gear body looks like it may be a slight issue, but I have checked and absolutely no mud or water has got inside after my ride. I’m in the UK, so when the trails dry out in a few months, I will know if the ingress of dust causes an issue.

All this being said, I would like to send a huge thank you for not only your skill, time and effort in designing the LSS, but also for making it easily available to riders all over the world. You have certainly improved my experience of riding my Levo (I previously had a 2018 Levo and was gutted when I found out that the BLEvo speed limit derestrictor didn’t work on my new bike). I’m sure you’ve given lots of smiles to lots of people from around the world, so well done and thank you very much !!!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi jd_3d

I have now managed to do a decent ride in wet & muddy conditions and the LSS worked perfectly. The gap between the cover and the main gear body looks like it may be a slight issue, but I have checked and absolutely no mud or water has got inside after my ride. I’m in the UK, so when the trails dry out in a few months, I will know if the ingress of dust causes an issue.

All this being said, I would like to send a huge thank you for not only your skill, time and effort in designing the LSS, but also for making it easily available to riders all over the world. You have certainly improved my experience of riding my Levo (I previously had a 2018 Levo and was gutted when I found out that the BLEvo speed limit derestrictor didn’t work on my new bike). I’m sure you’ve given lots of smiles to lots of people from around the world, so well done and thank you very much !!!

Thank you so much @RITSON! Feedback like this is so helpful and keeps me motivated to make the LSS as good as it can be. I finally finished installation instructions, new post inbound :)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Sorry it has taken so long, but I finally wrote up some installation instructions. I'm sure it would be better with more pictures, but hopefully its straightforward enough to follow. If anyone sees anything to add or change please let me know.

Instructions here:

LSS Installation Instructions

Eventually I'll create a video too, unless some awesome forum member beats me to it :)

Dewez

Feb 16, 2019
Scripps Ranch California
My order is in process. I am a retired tooling designer from HP, I think your work is very good and look forward to trying it out on my Levo. I live in Scripps Ranch near the best off road riding areas in town. Nice to ride to the location instead of taking the jeep so this should work great. I’ll look forward to writing more after I install the LSS.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Unfortunately the clearance from the cover to the chain stay on mine is tight and the cover is getting ruined because of it.......we talking maybe 1mm off the ring gear should do the job.
Also anyone had issues with the sun gear been loose to the shaft and had any ways of fixing it tight to the shaft? The sun gear on mine just drops in and obviously it needs to be tight so it can spin with the shaft.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Unfortunately the clearance from the cover to the chain stay on mine is tight and the cover is getting ruined because of it.......we talking maybe 1mm off the ring gear should do the job.
Also anyone had issues with the sun gear been loose to the shaft and had any ways of fixing it tight to the shaft? The sun gear on mine just drops in and obviously it needs to be tight so it can spin with the shaft.

Hi @pgtips, I finally finished the low-profile version of the ring gear for people running non-stock rotors. I was only able to reduce the ring gear back wall by 0.6mm otherwise the stock bolt heads would protrude. But, I was able to get another 0.4mm thinner by also re-designing the planetary gear to not have any back wall (so it needs to be glued on the sides). So overall it is 1mm thinner which is about as thin as I can make it. You can purchase it here:

Low Profile Ring Gear and Planetary Gear by JD_3D on Shapeways

Notes:
1) Must use stock rotor bolts or bolts with a head height no greater than 2.8mm.
2) The planetary gear no longer has a back wall, so a strong quality glue should be used due to the decrease in bonding surface area.

High Voltage

Jan 18, 2019
Peru
Hi JD... the picture above is from a Sworks... it barely touches....just to let you know that maybe it will be neccesary to make some changes

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
so am about to order one of these for my new bike (which arrives Friday!!) - is the full cover going to be available soon - should I wait?

Hi @xcentric, congrats on the new bike! What model are you getting? Regarding updates to the LSS, I eventually plan on creating an LSS V2.0 with a number of changes, specifically in trying to make it thinner/smaller for better clearance, which may hopefully allow for a larger cover that wraps around better. The timeline on that could be anywhere from a few weeks to many weeks :) However, I haven't heard of a single issue yet with debris getting into the gears, so I think there's nothing wrong with the current LSS design in that respect.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi JD... the picture above is from a Sworks... it barely touches....just to let you know that maybe it will be neccesary to make some changes

Thanks for the great picture @High Voltage. I can see from the image that the dropout on the Sworks has a much different profile than the Aluminum versions. Does the LSS spin ok? If not, using the new low-profile ring gear here should help:

Low Profile Ring Gear and Planetary Gear by JD_3D on Shapeways

I'll keep this in mind for LSS V2.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Hi @xcentric, congrats on the new bike! What model are you getting?

Comp - was going to be the base version but then I got a deal :). Standard wheels etc so am sure it'll fit. been following the thread with interest, very good concept and execution. Might wait a little, and then depending on what timescales you are going for, either get the current version and a cover later, or the revised version. Happy to be a guinea pig for v2 if you need one however.

High Voltage

Jan 18, 2019
Peru
Hi JD....The LSS spins ok...you can hear a noise only when in turbo above 30 km/h.... below that is difficult to hear that there is a noise of the LSS touching the drop outs.
So for the time being we will keep using the LSS and see what happen...

Mhugdoc

Jul 26, 2018
Arkansas
LSS review:
I was the original O-ring mod and have 50 miles on my LSS. Working perfect. Being able to get assistance at 25+ mph is awesome. Thanks JD.
I hope you make some money on this.

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
Hello,

I have 2019 Levo Comp. My worry is that I'm using Enduro 305’s wheels with I9 hubs with Ice Tech rotors...

Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

Lewis

Nov 11, 2018
Littlehampton
I’m out of work due to epileptic seizure so have to wait a year to be able to drive again, i’m using a woosh bike which i bought some years ago, and played with settings to get 20mph and it has throttle assist, but i broke bafang bb02 motor 3 times, spindle in motor is poorly made china shit. Now running it throttle only so get upto speed then power on. Been looking at better bike either a Haibike or Levo, doubt i could afford FS so unless there was a sale it would be HT.
Like the idea of that system on this chat to get Levo speed hack,
It would be nice to watch it in action. Also though the new Haibike motor coming out this year may change things on choices.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hello,

I have 2019 Levo Comp. My worry is that I'm using Enduro 305’s wheels with I9 hubs with Ice Tech rotors...

Will this be a problem?

Thanks!

Hi @Ddc6284, a few people are running the LSS with different rotors by screwing the LSS directly on the rotor. However, a different wheel set is probably not going to work with the standard LSS due to a different rear hub body diameter. If you have a pair of calipers, you could measure the diameter and if it is close to either the LSS or LSS DT then perhaps it would work.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
@jd_3d LSS ordered - even before I have my bike :). Looking forward to trying it with and without it.....

@xcentric did you get your bike yet? Hopefully you didn't have any delays. Awesome that you got an LSS as well. You should ride around for a week with it stock and then when you put on the LSS it will be like a new bike again :).

Ddc6284

Oct 30, 2018
Saint Louis MO
Hi @Ddc6284, a few people are running the LSS with different rotors by screwing the LSS directly on the rotor. However, a different wheel set is probably not going to work with the standard LSS due to a different rear hub body diameter. If you have a pair of calipers, you could measure the diameter and if it is close to either the LSS or LSS DT then perhaps it would work.

Thanks!

I still have the factory wheels... So I might still get it for them. I like the I9's for techy climbing. Then put on the factory for smooth/fast single track...

Dewez

Feb 16, 2019
Scripps Ranch California
Did a Press fit Magnet to planetary gear, no glue, was so tight I could not remove to add glue. Seems fine!

Sanded back side of planetary gear to reduce friction and noise.

Used large socket head to press assembly on shaft.

After a test ride the parts work as promised. Thank you!

Any idea how to remove assembly to take bike into shop?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles