I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
That's too bad, I have a 2020 comp. I saw you were out of California, I'm in Las Vegas. Any recommendations for cleaning the dust out? Or is it a non issue?

Dust has been a non-issue for me. If you ride in very dusty conditions it could be good to blow out the dust every now and then, but since the LSS is dry it shouldn't attract dust. Do you want to see if it fits your Kenevo? I assume you are running the same SRAM 200mm brake rotor? Does your rear hub have the same axle profile of the 2020 Levo (where the diameter tapers down near the dropout)? If so, this version of the LSS would have the best chance of working although I can't make any promises:

LSS Version 2.0 For Turbo Levo 2020 Base / Comp by JD_3D on Shapeways

Clint026

Dec 31, 2019
Las Vegas
Dust has been a non-issue for me. If you ride in very dusty conditions it could be good to blow out the dust every now and then, but since the LSS is dry it shouldn't attract dust. Do you want to see if it fits your Kenevo? I assume you are running the same SRAM 200mm brake rotor? Does your rear hub have the same axle profile of the 2020 Levo (where the diameter tapers down near the dropout)? If so, this version of the LSS would have the best chance of working although I can't make any promises:

LSS Version 2.0 For Turbo Levo 2020 Base / Comp by JD_3D on Shapeways
Yes I would like to try this out, although I am considering running a 220mm rotor out back as well. If I were to stick with a sram rotor would this be an issue? Although now that I think of it I think the 220's are 2.0mm thick compared to say a 200 witch is 1.8mm? Here is a picture of what my hub looks like, it does taper like you were talking about. View attachment 25612

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Yes I would like to try this out, although I am considering running a 220mm rotor out back as well. If I were to stick with a sram rotor would this be an issue? Although now that I think of it I think the 220's are 2.0mm thick compared to say a 200 witch is 1.8mm? Here is a picture of what my hub looks like, it does taper like you were talking about. View attachment 25612

Hi @Clint026. It seems the attachment didn't come through. Could you re-attach? A 220mm rotor could be a problem as I don't know anyone who's done that and I'm not sure the implications. Is 220mm on the rear necessary? You must be doing some insane downhill for that :D

Clint026

Dec 31, 2019
Las Vegas
Hi @Clint026. It seems the attachment didn't come through. Could you re-attach? A 220mm rotor could be a problem as I don't know anyone who's done that and I'm not sure the implications. Is 220mm on the rear necessary? You must be doing some insane downhill for that :D
Lol I'm a bigger guy... But I would like to think I'm doing some insane down hills! Let me see if I can figure out how to just load the pic on this reply. Just for curiosity, why do you think a larger rotor could affect it? Would it just be the fact that it is slightly thicker?
IMG_20200207_143245.jpg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Lol I'm a bigger guy... But I would like to think I'm doing some insane down hills! Let me see if I can figure out how to just load the pic on this reply. Just for curiosity, why do you think a larger rotor could affect it? Would it just be the fact that it is slightly thicker?

Yeah, the thicker rotor will reduce the amount of clearance (but only 0.2mm so it should be ok), but the rotor arms will also be different so the LSS clip likely won't work on a 220mm rotor so you'd need to use the universal rotor mount. But this is all on top of it also being a 2020 Kenevo which I'm not sure if it has other differences / surprises vs a 2020 Levo. So it would be perhaps better to get it working on a stock Kenevo first if possible.

Clint026

Dec 31, 2019
Las Vegas
Yeah, the thicker rotor will reduce the amount of clearance (but only 0.2mm so it should be ok), but the rotor arms will also be different so the LSS clip likely won't work on a 220mm rotor so you'd need to use the universal rotor mount. But this is all on top of it also being a 2020 Kenevo which I'm not sure if it has other differences / surprises vs a 2020 Levo. So it would be perhaps better to get it working on a stock Kenevo first if possible.
Ok I got you, unfortunately I will be deploying mid next month so I do not think I will purchase now but certainly when I return at the end of the year. Maybe by then others with the new kenevo can guinny pig it for you!

Vitamindimo

Feb 20, 2020
Oregon
@jd_3d, can you confirm the LSS DT v2 comes with 2 planetary gears? I have a 2020 levo expert carbon, and I seem to remember seeing you now include a 2nd planetary gear with the LSS 2.0.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi @Vitamindimo,

No, the V2.0 of the LSS only has 1 planetary gear. It is a bit confusing as I made a special version of the LSS for the 2020 Levo Comp, where I had to combine the sun gear and dust cover into 1 part (due to the new profile of the axle specifically on the Comp versions of the bike). Since I combined those 2 parts, I decided to include an extra planetary gear for that version to keep the total price / part count the same. But all the other LSS 2.0 versions only have 1 planet gear.

I do realize in hindsight it is a bit confusing an inconsistent, but the LSS is an ever evolving product :)

@jd_3d, can you confirm the LSS DT v2 comes with 2 planetary gears? I have a 2020 levo expert carbon, and I seem to remember seeing you now include a 2nd planetary gear with the LSS 2.0.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Hi @Vitamindimo,

No, the V2.0 of the LSS only has 1 planetary gear. It is a bit confusing as I made a special version of the LSS for the 2020 Levo Comp, where I had to combine the sun gear and dust cover into 1 part (due to the new profile of the axle specifically on the Comp versions of the bike). Since I combined those 2 parts, I decided to include an extra planetary gear for that version to keep the total price / part count the same. But all the other LSS 2.0 versions only have 1 planet gear.

I do realize in hindsight it is a bit confusing an inconsistent, but the LSS is an ever evolving product :)

Is there any update on the longevity of these? Specifically, I'm interested in this version for the 2020 Levo Comp referenced above. It's nice that it does come with the 2 planetary gears but I'm wondering if I should still pop for the aluminum planetary gear. So two questions, first does the aluminum planetary gear actually work with the 2020 Levo comp LSS and second has there been any feedback on using it? I.e. does it increase the wear on the other parts? The bottom line is I would like to get as many miles as possible out of the set before I need to buy replacement parts.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Is there any update on the longevity of these? Specifically, I'm interested in this version for the 2020 Levo Comp referenced above. It's nice that it does come with the 2 planetary gears but I'm wondering if I should still pop for the aluminum planetary gear. So two questions, first does the aluminum planetary gear actually work with the 2020 Levo comp LSS and second has there been any feedback on using it? I.e. does it increase the wear on the other parts? The bottom line is I would like to get as many miles as possible out of the set before I need to buy replacement parts.

Hi @jsharpe, there was a good update on the Aluminum gear by Eljay a few weeks ago, see here:
I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase - EMTB Forums

After 500 miles he was seeing very little wear on the Al gear which is great, and doesn't seem to increase wear on the other parts. Also to answer your other question, yes the Al gear is compatible with the 2020 Levo version of the LSS.

But you can probably get close to 1,000 miles out of the 2 standard nylon gears that come with the kit, so depending upon how much you ride, the Al may be overkill.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Hi @jsharpe, there was a good update on the Aluminum gear by Eljay a few weeks ago, see here:
I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase - EMTB Forums

After 500 miles he was seeing very little wear on the Al gear which is great, and doesn't seem to increase wear on the other parts. Also to answer your other question, yes the Al gear is compatible with the 2020 Levo version of the LSS.

But you can probably get close to 1,000 miles out of the 2 standard nylon gears that come with the kit, so depending upon how much you ride, the Al may be overkill.

Great, that's the information I needed. I used to do about that many miles a season on my clockwork bike but even though I'm getting older I hope to do quite a bit more on the Levo. As long as I can get a full season out of a set I'll be very happy. Thanks much for all the work you put into making this possible.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hey, So Im looking to purchase one for my 2019 Turbo Levo Expert.

Hey will this version also fit the 2019 Levo Expert Carbon? Im also planning on getting the new Beta aluminum planet gear too.

Yes, it does. The description lists the bikes that it was designed for. Enjoy!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Thanks! Hey which neo magnet should I get from Amazon? I want to make sure I get a good one.

The Amazon magnet products seem to change on a weekly basis so the ones I've previously ordered don't exist anymore. I can't find any that clearly state they are neodymium, but I found these 2 that might be:

If you want to make sure to get a good quality 10x3mm Neoydmium magnet, consider ordering from a specialty website like these:
EP659 from here:
N42 Neodymium, Plated Disc Magnets | BuyMagnets.com
Or here:
Neodymium Disc Magnets - Magnets for Sale - SuperMagnetMan

But I've never ordered from them so can't vouch for them. If anyone else has a good source please share.

Angel Perkins

Feb 18, 2019
Spain
hi Jd-3d , I asked
Beta - lss gear set for levo 2017/2018, is included a second planetary of spare?

My order is:
Mar 24,2020estated ship date
Order # 3330426

Thank you

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
hi Jd-3d , I asked
Beta - lss gear set for levo 2017/2018, is included a second planetary of spare?

My order is:
Mar 24,2020estated ship date
Order # 3330426

Thank you

No, there should not be a secondary planetary gear. You can always order spares here if you need one.

mazukea

Feb 1, 2020
Hawaii
The Amazon magnet products seem to change on a weekly basis so the ones I've previously ordered don't exist anymore. I can't find any that clearly state they are neodymium, but I found these 2 that might be:

If you want to make sure to get a good quality 10x3mm Neoydmium magnet, consider ordering from a specialty website like these:
EP659 from here:
N42 Neodymium, Plated Disc Magnets | BuyMagnets.com
Or here:
Neodymium Disc Magnets - Magnets for Sale - SuperMagnetMan

But I've never ordered from them so can't vouch for them. If anyone else has a good source please share.
I was going to order from that first link you provided. The magnet is 0.27 cents. Shipping is $19.00??!!!

Anybody has spares that they would like to sell me?

Angel Perkins

Feb 18, 2019
Spain
EDIT: You need to be logged into Shapeways to see the download option (creating an account is free). I think they do this for security so bots don't just download all their files. Once you are logged in, it is right below the description, see the circled area in this image. Tagging @AleksEU

View attachment 17051
What a great idea! You can then print in 3d your replacement piece, thank you very much! Jd_3d

Dennis

Mar 23, 2020
Sacramento
JD_3D, love your invention. I'd rather not hack the programming but will if I have to. Do you think the 2017/2018 version will fit my 2016 Levo FSR? I have the DT Swiss hub.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
JD_3D, love your invention. I'd rather not hack the programming but will if I have to. Do you think the 2017/2018 version will fit my 2016 Levo FSR? I have the DT Swiss hub.

Hi @Dennis. I'm not very familiar with the 2016 Levo, do you know if it is similar to the 2017/2018? Does it use the same rear brake rotor? Same magnet location? Is the frame the same? If the answer is yes to all those it should fit ok. But to be extra sure if you have some calipers or some way to measure your DT Swiss exterior axle diameter, if it is 18.7-19mm then you should be good with the 2017/2018 LSS DT version.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles