I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

SlowNoob

Jul 21, 2019
uk
If you changed the gearing to 1.61:1, then you would be able to set your bike to kilometers but it would show the speed and KM's covered in actual miles and MPH.....only really of interest in countries like US/UK as most places use KM, but a very nice bonus for those that do.

Quiui

May 14, 2019
Reno
jd_3d
All better. The S-Works carbon Levo has a smaller diameter spacer between the frame and the inner axle bearing than your inner sun ring gear. I made a sleeve to take up the space and also hold the dust ring. I believe enough dust intruded and built up enough drag to make the gear start slipping and caused the fault, by not reducing the magnets rotation speed. All good now.
You might look at the specifications on that part on the S-Works versions, it is 0.885 inches outside diameter, at least on my bike.

besty007

Oct 6, 2019
Norfolk England
Just bought the Lss v2 for my 2020 turbo base Levo,hub and rotor standard,everything fits except there’s no room left on hub to push home dust cover,I’m guessing I’m going to need the slimmer main body?I thought I’d bought the correct version as it fitted the 2019 ?‍♂️?‍♂️

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I have an update here on the LSS. It looks like for the 2020 model year, Specialized changes the axle profile of the rear hub for the Levo base and comp models. This didn't leave enough room for the cover to hold on to the axle. I worked with @besty007 and came up with a new design that combines the sun gear and cover into 1 part so that there is room for it to hold onto the axle.

Also, new with this version is I'm included 2 planet gears (since I was able to cut the parts count down by 1, I could add an additional part without any extra cost). So now you'll have a spare planet gear if your first one wears out.

For for anyone with a 2020 Turbo Levo Base / Comp the new version is here:

LSS Version 2.0 For Turbo Levo 2020 Base / Comp by JD_3D on Shapeways

Or if you just want the new combined part you can get it here:

Beta - Combined Sun Gear and Cover by JD_3D on Shapeways

Tango.Oscar.Mike

Oct 6, 2019
Austria
Finally installed the LSS on my 2019 Levo. Titght fit, but works like a charme! Great product!
Thinking about a 36 chain ring now to keep cadence a bit lower for the old man :LOL:

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I have an update here on the LSS. It looks like for the 2020 model year, Specialized changes the axle profile of the rear hub for the Levo base and comp models. This didn't leave enough room for the cover to hold on to the axle. I worked with @besty007 and came up with a new design that combines the sun gear and cover into 1 part so that there is room for it to hold onto the axle.

Also, new with this version is I'm included 2 planet gears (since I was able to cut the parts count down by 1, I could add an additional part without any extra cost). So now you'll have a spare planet gear if your first one wears out.

For for anyone with a 2020 Turbo Levo Base / Comp the new version is here:

LSS Version 2.0 For Turbo Levo 2020 Base / Comp by JD_3D on Shapeways

Or if you just want the new combined part you can get it here:

Beta - Combined Sun Gear and Cover by JD_3D on Shapeways

Is this compatible with the Kenevo expert 2020 ? :-D

Alexbarbas

Nov 4, 2019
Spain
[QUOTE = "jd_3d, post: 113493, member: 703"] Tengo una actualización aquí en el LSS. Parece que para el año modelo 2020, Specialized cambia el perfil del eje del buje trasero para la base Levo y los modelos comp. Esto no dejó suficiente espacio para que la cubierta se aferrara al eje. Trabajé con [USER = 6260] @ besty007 [/ USER] y se me ocurrió un nuevo diseño que combina el protector solar y la cubierta en 1 parte para que haya espacio para que se sujete al eje.

Además, lo nuevo con esta versión es que estoy incluido 2 engranajes planetarios (ya que pude reducir la cuenta regresiva de partes en 1, podría agregar una parte adicional sin ningún costo adicional). Así que ahora tendrás un equipo planetario de repuesto si el primero se desgasta.

Para cualquier persona con un Turbo Levo Base / Comp 2020, la nueva versión está aquí:

LSS versión 2.0 para Turbo Levo 2020 Base / Comp por JD_3D en Shapeways

O si solo desea la nueva parte combinada, puede obtenerla aquí:

Beta - Equipo y cubierta solar combinados de JD_3D en Shapeways [/ QUOTE]

Alexbarbas

Nov 4, 2019
Spain
Tengo el kenevo Expert 2020 y compré el lss, pero la cubierta que cubre el sistema y debe anclarse al disco de freno no encaja bien. ¿Tengo alguna solución? Lo recibí el viernes y quiero usarlo lo antes posible. Lo he probado y funciona bien, pero tiene que ajustarse al disco. Gracias

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Is this compatible with the Kenevo expert 2020 ? :-D

Hi @Spagnol, I looked up the specs of the 2020 Kenevo Expert and it appears to use the same brake rotors and similar rear hub as the 2019 Turbo Levo Expert so assuming the frame clearance is the same I think this version of the LSS may fit:

LSS DT Version 2.0 - Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

I can't guarantee it will fit though since you are the first person to ask about the 2020 Kenevo. But if you are willing to take a risk and try it out please let me know if it works.

Cheers,

JD

Alexbarbas

Nov 4, 2019
Spain
[QUOTE = "jd_3d, post: 116710, miembro: 703"] Hola [USER = 3760] @Spagnol [/ USER], busqué las especificaciones del Kenevo Expert 2020 y parece que usa los mismos rotores de freno y similares traseros Hub como el Turbo Levo Expert 2019, por lo que suponiendo que el espacio libre del cuadro sea el mismo, creo que esta versión del LSS puede encajar:

LSS DT Versión 2.0 - Juego de engranajes planetarios de JD_3D en Shapeways

Sin embargo, no puedo garantizar que se ajuste, ya que usted es la primera persona en preguntar sobre el Kenevo 2020. Pero si está dispuesto a arriesgarse y probarlo, avíseme si funciona.

Salud,

JD [/ CITA]
I have already bought it and it works, it works ... only that the cover does not fit with the disc and the lid is ajar

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi @Alexbarbas, I sent you a PM (Private Message) asking for more details and pictures of what the issue is. Let's discuss via PM and see if we can get something working for the 2020 Kenevo.

bf1965

Nov 7, 2019
Kamloops BC
I just received my lss today and tried it out. I am experiencing the same slow speed climbing problem as the others. The device works as advertised and it's great to have the higher top speed but I find it causes the motor to cut out when in a very low gear climbing after about 10 seconds. I can cycle the power to get it going but it makes the bike unable to climb very steep hills at slow speeds. This could be that Specialized has changed the firmware.
I'm running version 6.1.0 for motor firmware and display firmware 6.1.0
using lss version 2.0 on a 2019 Comp

For someone that doesn't climb super steep hills using the lowest gear I would still recommend the product. I access my riding area by climbing up a very steep hill which saves me from having to load up my bike in a car and shuttling up. This is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully we can find a solution to this.

I have a question about the dust cover, Right now it doesn't rotate with the wheel because of a tight fit on the hub. There is a lot of noise from the friction where it is rubbing where it touches the rest of the lss along the outer edge. I could file the hole larger and so it would detach from the hub and I would think the noise would be less but I want to know if that is how if is supposed to work.

Thanks,

BF

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I just received my lss today and tried it out. I am experiencing the same slow speed climbing problem as the others. The device works as advertised and it's great to have the higher top speed but I find it causes the motor to cut out when in a very low gear climbing after about 10 seconds. I can cycle the power to get it going but it makes the bike unable to climb very steep hills at slow speeds. This could be that Specialized has changed the firmware.
I'm running version 6.1.0 for motor firmware and display firmware 6.1.0
using lss version 2.0 on a 2019 Comp

For someone that doesn't climb super steep hills using the lowest gear I would still recommend the product. I access my riding area by climbing up a very steep hill which saves me from having to load up my bike in a car and shuttling up. This is a deal breaker for me. Hopefully we can find a solution to this.

I have a question about the dust cover, Right now it doesn't rotate with the wheel because of a tight fit on the hub. There is a lot of noise from the friction where it is rubbing where it touches the rest of the lss along the outer edge. I could file the hole larger and so it would detach from the hub and I would think the noise would be less but I want to know if that is how if is supposed to work.

Thanks,

BF

Hi @bf1965. Thanks for the feedback. I'll PM you regarding the climbing issue to get some more data from you to see if I can narrow down why it only happens to some people. Regarding the dust cover, it is meant to stay tight on the axle but it sounds like in your case you may have pushed it too tight against the other parts causing it to rub, so you can take 2 butter knives and slide it under the cover and back it off a tiny bit so it doesn't rub on the LSS body. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,

JD

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
I just read the 2nd half of this thread and I'm going to pull the trigger on 1 of these but had a couple quick questions I didn't find answers to before I do:
1. Is there any difference between the black and white version in terms of durability?
2. I saw mentions of an aluminum gear that potentially could be more durable and last longer, but no follow-up on that - does anybody have any time on the Al version and can comment on that?

Thanks!

bf1965

Nov 7, 2019
Kamloops BC
Hi @bf1965. Thanks for the feedback. I'll PM you regarding the climbing issue to get some more data from you to see if I can narrow down why it only happens to some people. Regarding the dust cover, it is meant to stay tight on the axle but it sounds like in your case you may have pushed it too tight against the other parts causing it to rub, so you can take 2 butter knives and slide it under the cover and back it off a tiny bit so it doesn't rub on the LSS body. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,

JD
Thanks for getting back to me quickly. I just did a quick check on a flat road and used MC to show me how fast I was going. When I ride real slow it the speedo is around 2 km/hr but occasionally goes down to zero. I was able to replicate the power failure on the flat road by using the brakes. at the high speed end of things I can't seem to pedal fast enough to hit the limiter either .

I didnt get to read your last post about the dust cover. Because my dust cover doesn't rotate with the wheel and makes alot of noise and causes friction on the LSS I took that off and sanded the inside where it attaches on the hub so now it rotates with the rest of the LSS but there is a gap where it should cover up next to the LSS. I was planning on sealing it up with a bit of silicone eventually. It that cool?

I went out and tested on the flats again after that and the problem was better but still replicated after some more testing.

Then did a quick ride which my buddy on his Kenevo and we recorded with MC and even though we traveled the same distance. his showed 11.67 km and mine showed 6.59km which my math says 177% I read your gear should slow your speed down 152%.
All which makes me think there is some slippage of the sun gear.

FYI, the magnet I bought wouldn't quite fit inside the planet gear so I had to sand the inside of the gear and did a friction fit although it is really snug and could be putting extra pressure on the sun gear and causing it to spin. I will take it out and sand it some more so I can eliminate that as at cause. I may put some blue locktight on the inside of the sun gear to make sure it doesn't slip and hopefully that will fix the problem.

I will let you know .

bf

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I just read the 2nd half of this thread and I'm going to pull the trigger on 1 of these but had a couple quick questions I didn't find answers to before I do:
1. Is there any difference between the black and white version in terms of durability?
2. I saw mentions of an aluminum gear that potentially could be more durable and last longer, but no follow-up on that - does anybody have any time on the Al version and can comment on that?

Thanks!

Hi @Eljay,

For (1) no difference. For (2) I have an Al gear but still haven't installed it. I don't have much time to ride lately so if you end up getting an LSS I could mail you it if you'd like to test it out. Do you ride a lot of miles per week?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I didnt get to read your last post about the dust cover. Because my dust cover doesn't rotate with the wheel and makes alot of noise and causes friction on the LSS I took that off and sanded the inside where it attaches on the hub so now it rotates with the rest of the LSS but there is a gap where it should cover up next to the LSS. I was planning on sealing it up with a bit of silicone eventually. It that cool?

Yeah sealing it up should be ok (just harder to take apart)

bf1965

Nov 7, 2019
Kamloops BC
After taking it apart, it looks like the sun gear is very tight and not slipping. It might be the magnet is too weak? I bought off Amazon but nowhere does it say neodymium . I live in Canada so the one you recommended didn't ship without a substantial shipping charge.

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
Hi @Eljay,

For (1) no difference. For (2) I have an Al gear but still haven't installed it. I don't have much time to ride lately so if you end up getting an LSS I could mail you it if you'd like to test it out. Do you ride a lot of miles per week?

Thanks for the response and for the offer to try out the Al gear - I am definitely going to order one right away and I do ride quite a few miles a week including big rides (35+ miles) - I'll PM you Thanks!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I have a quick update on the climbing issue. Tagging @bf1965 @JAMh and anyone else who has had any issues when slow speed climbing. @Justride was having the same climbing issue on his 2020 Levo but was using a magnet with a hole in it. I sent him a spare planet gear and magnet I had and he just reported it completely fixed his climbing issue.

So it looks like a weak magnet may cause the issue. The solution is to get a high quality high strength neodymium magnet.

JAMh

Nov 24, 2018
Madrid Spain
I have a quick update on the climbing issue. Tagging @bf1965 @JAMh and anyone else who has had any issues when slow speed climbing. @Justride was having the same climbing issue on his 2020 Levo but was using a magnet with a hole in it. I sent him a spare planet gear and magnet I had and he just reported it completely fixed his climbing issue.

So it looks like a weak magnet may cause the issue. The solution is to get a high quality high strength neodymium magnet.
Thx
Will try

bf1965

Nov 7, 2019
Kamloops BC
Climbing Issue resolved. I installed the new magnet and the climbing issue has been fixed!
If you but a magnet, If it doesn't say Neodymium, it may not work.
I also use graphite to help lube the gear and a sealed dust cover and will report back on gear wear after lots of riding.

Thank you jd_3d!

Alexbarbas

Nov 4, 2019
Spain
[QUOTE = "Eljay, post: 117571, member: 2060"] Acabo de leer la segunda mitad de este hilo y voy a apretar el gatillo en 1 de estos, pero tenía un par de preguntas rápidas para las que no encontré respuestas. antes que yo:
1. ¿Hay alguna diferencia entre la versión en blanco y negro en términos de durabilidad?
2. Vi menciones de un engranaje de aluminio que potencialmente podría ser más duradero y durar más, pero no hay seguimiento de eso: ¿alguien tiene tiempo para la versión Al y puede comentar sobre eso?

Gracias! [/ CITA]
METRO puedes pasar más información compañero?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
[QUOTE = "Eljay, post: 117571, member: 2060"] Acabo de leer la segunda mitad de este hilo y voy a apretar el gatillo en 1 de estos, pero tenía un par de preguntas rápidas para las que no encontré respuestas. antes que yo:
1. ¿Hay alguna diferencia entre la versión en blanco y negro en términos de durabilidad?
2. Vi menciones de un engranaje de aluminio que potencialmente podría ser más duradero y durar más, pero no hay seguimiento de eso: ¿alguien tiene tiempo para la versión Al y puede comentar sobre eso?

Gracias! [/ CITA]
METRO puedes pasar más información compañero?

Hi @Alexbarbas,

There is no difference between white and black other than the color. Regarding the Aluminum gear, I sent mine to Eljay here on this forum and he's going to try it out to see how it performs and the durability on it (since he rides more mileage than me).

Cheers,

JD

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I've received a few requests for an LSS for the Turbo Creo. I know this is a MTB forum, but it seems quite a few Levo owners are also buying the Creo. I don't have access to a Creo in my area, but if anyone on here has a Creo and is interested in increasing the assist speed can you PM me if you are able to take some pictures and measurements so I can create a version that would work for it?

Cheers,
JD

Alexbarbas

Nov 4, 2019
Spain
[QUOTE = "jd_3d, post: 120268, miembro: 703"] Hola [USER = 6675] @Alexbarbas [/ USER],

No hay diferencia entre blanco y negro que no sea el color. Con respecto al equipo de aluminio, envié el mío a Eljay aquí en este foro y él lo probará para ver cómo funciona y la durabilidad (ya que recorre más kilometraje que yo).

Salud,

JD [/ CITA
In alluminium is available?

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
Big thanks to JD for getting me set up on the Al gear! - I just received (quick shipping from Shapeways) and installed it and have 2 pretty good rides (probably about 40 miles) on it so far so wanted to post my initial impressions:

So far it is working great and I'm super impressed with the LSS overall - no cutting out of the motor at all and I really had to push it on a smooth fire road to get to max speed - love it!

Immediately I noticed a slightly high-pitched "whining" noise coming from the LSS - I wasn't sure if this was normal or expected, but on 1 of the rides I was with a buddy who has the regular plastic gear and his does not seem to make this noise, so this may be just the Al gear? - it didn't affect performance at all so far, but of course as mtbers we are always sensitive to our bikes making noises!

Any thoughts on if this noise is a concern or if maybe some sort of graphite lube might fix it? - I will try to document it on video on my next ride, although it may be difficult to do while riding

I will also update on how it holds up long-term

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles