I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Why not include a couple of spares in the kit? One sacrificial part isnt a bad thing when it's the smallest cheapest part.

Yeah, that is one way to go although I think I can improve things to get more life out of a single gear.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I swapped my Carbon printed one also after around 500km...
I redesigned it by myself with "real" 0.5pitch gears, and it know works flawless.
Printed the last version in PETG, and I think this will live longer as it did with the carbon material.

Good point about the gear teeth. That is something I think I can improve on. Right now the design is a bit conservative in terms of the gap tolerances as I wanted to make sure it would fit for everyone. But tightening up the gaps and improving the teeth profile could help the life significantly.

FlatSix

May 11, 2019
Göppingen
I swapped my Carbon printed one also after around 500km...
I redesigned it by myself with "real" 0.5pitch gears, and it know works flawless.
Printed the last version in PETG, and I think this will live longer as it did with the carbon material.

Would you share the design? And maybe JoeJoe could print it? Since I‘m also german this would be perfect :)

dogzilla

Aug 1, 2019
London
The author here is selling this product via shapeways so it's a little cheeky to be asking for free designs which will just get thrown around.

There's a lot of time and testing that went into this.

I'm buying a set now, hoping to support further development!

What do I need to replace after 500km? The whole unit or just some replacement parts?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
The author here is selling this product via shapeways so it's a little cheeky to be asking for free designs which will just get thrown around.

There's a lot of time and testing that went into this.

I'm buying a set now, hoping to support further development!

What do I need to replace after 500km? The whole unit or just some replacement parts?

Thank you @dogzilla for your support! I will always try to improve the product, and yes it has been a lot of work prototyping and supporting this. You don't need to replace the entire unit after 500+km, you only need to replace the very small planet gear and those can be purchased separately for around $12.50 plus shipping.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I've given this some thought and since the small planet gear will wear out well before the other parts I think the best thing is to release the design file for the small planet gear. That way people with access to a 3d printer can print their own replacement planet gear if theirs wears out.

I've added a download option to the product here (look for the download product button to get the STL file):
LSS Planetary Gear v2 by JD_3D on Shapeways

Of course you can still purchase it on that same page if you don't have a 3d printer.

@JoeJoe, you are welcome to try and print this small part in PEEK material and you can send it to anyone who wants one :)

G P Smith

Jul 22, 2019
California
Fit and operation on my 2019 Turbo Levo S-Works are GREAT (3 rides so far). Up to 10mph increase, dependent on grade.

QUESTIONS: For the purpose of maintenance, what is the best way to disassemble the unit without damage to the components? The outer dust shield appears particularly fragile.

What lubrication, if any, should be applied to the gears.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Fit and operation on my 2019 Turbo Levo S-Works are GREAT (3 rides so far). Up to 10mph increase, dependent on grade.

QUESTIONS: For the purpose of maintenance, what is the best way to disassemble the unit without damage to the components? The outer dust shield appears particularly fragile.

What lubrication, if any, should be applied to the gears.

Thanks @G P Smith! To answer you questions, for disassembly, take 2 butter knifes and slide them under the cover and then gently work it loose. Also use a screwdriver or butter knife on the clips and carefully un-do each clip so as to not damage them. I personally do not use any lubrication but I've heard a few people have used graphite powder with success. It is fine to run it dry.

AleksEU

Apr 3, 2019
Gdynia
First of all I think LSS is great Solution and a huge upgrade to Levo. I just can’t imagine riding without it therefore after approximately 500km my LSS has also wear out:

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
First of all I think LSS is great Solution and a huge upgrade to Levo. I just can’t imagine riding without it therefore after approximately 500km my LSS has also wear out:

Hi @AleksEU, I'm glad you like the LSS! You can buy a spare planet gear here:

Which should get you up and running. I'm still looking at ideas and methods for increasing the life of the small planet gear and have a few different ideas I'm exploring right now.

AleksEU

Apr 3, 2019
Gdynia
I've given this some thought and since the small planet gear will wear out well before the other parts I think the best thing is to release the design file for the small planet gear. That way people with access to a 3d printer can print their own replacement planet gear if theirs wears out.

I've added a download option to the product here (look for the download product button to get the STL file):

Of course you can still purchase it on that same page if you don't have a 3d printer.

@JoeJoe, you are welcome to try and print this small part in PEEK material and you can send it to anyone who wants one :)

Can't find download option. Could you please double check it?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Can't find download option. Could you please double check it?

EDIT: You need to be logged into Shapeways to see the download option (creating an account is free). I think they do this for security so bots don't just download all their files. Once you are logged in, it is right below the description, see the circled area in this image. Tagging @AleksEU

lss_download.png

Last edited:

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
Here is what you have been waiting for! The LSS now works with Shimano 203mm Ice Tech rotors. I sent JD a rotor and he created a file for a prototype clip to secure the LSS ring gear to the Ice Tech rotor. The fit is flawless and clearance is perfect. It is best to use the V2 LSS as it is narrower and gives more room for the dust shield clearance at the swing arm. In my excitement to test the new clip, I broke off one of the fingers and it still clips on and attaches perfectly with only 5 of the 6 tabs. Here is a link to the Ice Tech rotor clip from Shapeways... Beta - LSS Clip For Shimano Ice Tech Rotor by JD_3D on Shapeways

<iframe src="" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8995.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

Last edited:

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Is the axle in the centre or offset? pic shows it offset.
Is it rubbing the frame in the last pic?
is the back of it recessed for the ice tech rotor 6 bolt patter? I found when i installed the stock magnet on the ice tech and done it up tight the magnet bent the rotor. I had to run the magnet bolts slightly looser with some lock tight on them

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
Is the axle in the centre or offset? pic shows it offset.
Is it rubbing the frame in the last pic?
is the back of it recessed for the ice tech rotor 6 bolt patter? I found when i installed the stock magnet on the ice tech and done it up tight the magnet bent the rotor. I had to run the magnet bolts slightly looser with some lock tight on them

The axle has to be in the center of the rotor and hub! It is a optical illusion the way the photo is taken. It is not rubbing the frame. The dust cover is stationary so a little interference is not going to kill you. V1 was too wide and the dust cover touched the swing arm which caused it to sit askew on the collar. Is the back of what recessed? I don't understand what you are asking. The rotor is recessed and sits flush on the hub. The six Shimano Torx bolts sit flush against the face of the rotor with the locking spring washers under them. I torqued the rotor bolts to 10NM. I believe they only need to go to 6NM. Loose rotor bolts is not a good idea! Watch my crappy little video and you can see daylight thru the swing arm and the LSS.

Kimbratberg

Jun 22, 2019
Norway
Read the tread and I would like this on my 2019 kenevo comp. Will the lss fit the hub?
REAR HUB Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
Anyone with a Kenevo comp Who have installed the lss?

Last edited:

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Not sure how to search for this, but are there any side effects to this, like incorrect distance or speed logging or odometer on bike?

G P Smith

Jul 22, 2019
California
Not sure how to search for this, but are there any side effects to this, like incorrect distance or speed logging or odometer on bike?
Because distance and speed are usually tracked by rear wheel revolutions, both are impacted by LSS. With LSS, multiply speed and distance readout by approximately 1.5 to get to actual. I run a GPS speedometer which provides speed and distance data independent of wheel revolutions.

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Because distance and speed are usually tracked by rear wheel revolutions, both are impacted by LSS. With LSS, multiply speed and distance readout by approximately 1.5 to get to actual. I run a GPS speedometer which provides speed and distance data independent of wheel revolutions.
If you use BLEvo you can set the Speed multiplier to adjust this value and record the speed and distance correctly.
What is the Speed Multiplier?

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
This isnt a hard concept. Strava and other GPS apps get distance and speed from... a GPS unit. The bike computer takes speed and distance data off of the wheel.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
GPS is only reasonably accurate for distance (and hence speed) for relatively straight-line use and is inaccurate for trail use because when you make twists and turns on a trail, the GPS cannot record those small changes.

I spent $40 for a Garmin speed sensor for my manual bikes to fix that for Strava and to get accurate data. For the Turbo Levo, I would like to use the wheel sensor so that my Strava data is accurate.

Sounds like I could get a wireless hub sensor to make up for this, but the bike's internal odometer, used for the bike's lifetime history, would be messed up. One would have to explain it when selling the bike that the odometer is off by 1.5x.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles