I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
hi, it's a shame because a lot of levo roll with these wheels in europe, but I understand you well. You mentioned above that if you have a Gold Expert S-Works 2017/2018 model with a DT Swiss wheelset, that will not do, let me know if anyone needs this combo. "
can you tell what is the diameter of the axis with these wheels and if you realize the adaptation? I am looking for a solution to fit it on my wheels and it may be easier with the config DT Swiss
Thank you

Hi @FrenchLevo. So, for the default Turbo Comp wheelset the LSS is designed for an axle diameter of 22mm. But for the Expert/S-Works bikes with the DT Swiss wheelset I use an axle size of 18.7mm (expandable to 19mm via the design of it). I have not made a DT swiss version of the 2017/2018 version of the LSS, but if you think it will work or if you think you can adjust your bike to make it work, let me know and I can create a 2017/2018 LSS DT version.

kemp990

Oct 19, 2018
Seoul, South Korea
Hi, JD.
What's the ID of ring gear and sun gear of LSS for alloy comp.
I am trying to get LSS for hope pro4 wheel.
OD of the pro4 hub axel area is abt 21mm thick.

Thanks in advance

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi, JD.
What's the ID of ring gear and sun gear of LSS for alloy comp.
I am trying to get LSS for hope pro4 wheel.
OD of the pro4 hub axel area is abt 21mm thick.

Thanks in advance

Hi @kemp990. The ID of the sun gear and cover is 22mm for the LSS alloy comp. Note that the ring gear does not touch the axle since it rotates with the brake rotor. The ring gear has a larger ID so it easily clears the axle.

So if the Hope Pro4 wheels have a 21mm diameter it might work with some tape wrapped around the axle to make up the difference.

kemp990

Oct 19, 2018
Seoul, South Korea
Hi @kemp990. The ID of the sun gear and cover is 22mm for the LSS alloy comp. Note that the ring gear does not touch the axle since it rotates with the brake rotor. The ring gear has a larger ID so it easily clears the axle.

So if the Hope Pro4 wheels have a 21mm diameter it might work with some tape wrapped around the axle to make up the difference.
Good JD will try as per your instrucrion.

Thanks a lot.

FrenchLevo

May 9, 2019
France
Hi @FrenchLevo. So, for the default Turbo Comp wheelset the LSS is designed for an axle diameter of 22mm. But for the Expert/S-Works bikes with the DT Swiss wheelset I use an axle size of 18.7mm (expandable to 19mm via the design of it). I have not made a DT swiss version of the 2017/2018 version of the LSS, but if you think it will work or if you think you can adjust your bike to make it work, let me know and I can create a 2017/2018 LSS DT version.

Hi jd_3d
the DT version in diameter 18.7 ( enpendable to 19mm) will be easier to adapt. you can conceive it, I will order it and test it. thank you so much

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
JD my next two sets arrived and the outer cover on one is a smaller diameter than the other....can you explain please
AC480DC2-3993-4893-B2AC-D02114F05642.jpeg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
JD my next two sets arrived and the outer cover on one is a smaller diameter than the other....can you explain please View attachment 13887

Hi @breaky33. There are 2 versions of the LSS, the LSS and the LSS DT with a smaller diameter for the DT Swiss hubs. It looks like Shapeways sent you one of the wrong parts. Can you double-check your order (I don't have access to order info) and then contact Shapeways support and tell them you were sent the wrong item.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
Hi @breaky33. There are 2 versions of the LSS, the LSS and the LSS DT with a smaller diameter for the DT Swiss hubs. It looks like Shapeways sent you one of the wrong parts. Can you double-check your order (I don't have access to order info) and then contact Shapeways support and tell them you were sent the wrong item.

So I need to contact them again to get one sent out? Why did they send that one in the first place as I ordered only std items

Boogla

May 18, 2019
US
Thanks JD. I read the thread from the beginning. Great idea and thanks all for supporting. I just purchased and will fit to a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp. Cheers!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
So I need to contact them again to get one sent out? Why did they send that one in the first place as I ordered only std items

Yes, it looks like they simply made a mistake. They should send you a replacement, but please PM me if you have any trouble.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Yes, it's the opposite of what the crank on a Bosch bike does. On that you spin the crank one rev and the chainring spins 2 revs. This will spin the magnet at less revs than the wheel.

I agree this needs sort of gasket/cover for mud protection, in the UK anyway.

The teeth look very small, how tough is the material ?

In Scotland that would last about 2 minutes. Neat idea but not really any good on a mountain bike. One little stone or gritty water even and goodnight vienna .

Once it breaks as well then NO power at all so a long hard slog on a Kenevo sans power.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I believe that if you have any ambitions to make and supply these then you need to check patent laws.
People cannot patent wheels, levers, pivots, bearings, gears, lubrication, hydraulics, basic batteries, internal combustion engines and so much more; but they can use all of these things in new ways to come up with something that is patent-able because nobody else has ever combined them in that innovative way before.

I am not a patent lawyer (or indeed any kind of lawyer), so you must do your own homework. But please, do take steps to protect your intellectual property! Strangely, seeing as you have published your ideas for all to see, you may find that having done so on this Forum, with its time-dated posts, will have at least proved when you came up with the idea along with a clear exposition of its development. :)

Take heart from the feedback that you have received from interested members. You seem to have a simple mechanical way of overcoming speed limitations placed upon eBikes.

CAUTION: But this is something that every bike manufacturer will be able to do very cheaply indeed but they cannot do so legally. Therefore will you be legally allowed to register a patent that is designed to facilitate something illegal? Any contract to do something illegal is "ultra vires", it means "outside the law". In other words any contract to do something illegal is automatically void and has no force. So you may be unable to secure a patent and therefore unable to provide any protection at all for your idea. :(

Posting the design in a public place would make it impossible to register the patent. It is now classed as in the public domain. I was involved with patent management for a few years.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
In Scotland that would last about 2 minutes. Neat idea but not really any good on a mountain bike. One little stone or gritty water even and goodnight vienna .

Once it breaks as well then NO power at all so a long hard slog on a Kenevo sans power.

Hi @Lee Dove. It looks like you are replying to a really old post in this thread. Since that post I've added a cover for dust/dirt protection and we have several dozen people using the LSS all around the world (many from the UK and Scotland) and so far not a single failure that I'm aware of. I personally have over 600 miles on mine. I also carry a spare magnet that I can always just put directly on the rotor (it holds very strong to the steel rotor) and ride with the normal speed limit if anything should happen to the LSS.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi @Lee Dove. It looks like you are replying to a really old post in this thread. Since that post I've added a cover for dust/dirt protection and we have several dozen people using the LSS all around the world (many from the UK and Scotland) and so far not a single failure that I'm aware of. I personally have over 600 miles on mine. I also carry a spare magnet that I can always just put directly on the rotor (it holds very strong to the steel rotor) and ride with the normal speed limit if anything should happen to the LSS.
A good backup that spare magnet

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
JD,

I just ordered and received 2 sets of 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon LSS sets and am now thinking I want to change bikes to a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert.

Are they totally interchangeable and if not which parts do I need to order?

Thanks

Alan

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
JD,

I just ordered and received 2 sets of 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon LSS sets and am now thinking I want to change bikes to a 2019 Turbo Levo Expert.

Are they totally interchangeable and if not which parts do I need to order?

Thanks

Alan

Hi @breaky33. The Levo Expert comes with DT swiss hubs that have a smaller diameter axle so you need the cover and sun gear with the smaller diameter which you can get here:

LSS Cover / Sun Gear for Levo Expert by JD_3D on Shapeways

Alternatively, you can just get some O-rings to make up the diameter difference as a few people did here:

I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase - EMTB Forums

I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase - EMTB Forums

szaborichard79

May 13, 2019
Hungary
Hi @szaborichard79, you are the first to order the universal rotor mount :). I guess my only additional advice is to make sure to mount the ring gear and universal mount as centered as possible. It is important the gear is centered so that the planet gear can rotate smoothly around it. If you mount it and then rotate the wheel you should not see any 'wobble' or oscillation.

Hi jd-3d, regret to say, but it is not working... first: the universal mount seems to be working (altough it is too small in diameter for the 203mm shimano rotor, hard to attach it with small zips, the thin parts of the rotor is well above the zips..., most importantly it has a very small room from the frame, so the zip heads should be on the back side), but most importanly, the whole planetary gear is too big, contacts the frame... I suppose that the shimano rotor is wider???. So I give up.... i do not want to degrade shimano saint to the original sram...

Should you decide to construct a new planet gear model for 203mm shimano ice-tech rotor, please contact me, since I will definetly buy it.

regards.,
Richard

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Me too but why can you not hold the device on by using the rotor bolts

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi jd-3d, regret to say, but it is not working... first: the universal mount seems to be working (altough it is too small in diameter for the 203mm shimano rotor, hard to attach it with small zips, the thin parts of the rotor is well above the zips..., most importantly it has a very small room from the frame, so the zip heads should be on the back side), but most importanly, the whole planetary gear is too big, contacts the frame... I suppose that the shimano rotor is wider???. So I give up.... i do not want to degrade shimano saint to the original sram...

Should you decide to construct a new planet gear model for 203mm shimano ice-tech rotor, please contact me, since I will definetly buy it.

regards.,
Richard

Hi @szaborichard79 , I'm really sorry it didn't fit for your setup. Yes, it seems that many of these rotors with aluminum inner spiders are thicker (to compensate for the weaker aluminum or maybe just to dissipate heat better). This thickness increase leaves even less room for the LSS. I have some ideas and will definitely reach out to you if I can find something that works.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Me too but why can you not hold the device on by using the rotor bolts

Hi @ccrdave. I am not securing the device with the rotor bolts due to safety concerns. The LSS is made from nylon plastic and if it was designed to sandwich in-between the rotor and bolts it could cause several issues. The first issue is due to the very high bolt torque, it creates extremely high clamping forces that would deform the nylon, possibly even causing it to fail. Another scenario is if you were able to get the sufficient torque without damaging the nylon, over time the high stresses on the nylon would cause it to undergo creep deformation, meaning the material would flow away from the bolt head, which would essentially loosen the bolts. Another scenario is thermal creep due to the rotor heating up which would also loosen the bolts.

Suffice it to say its something I've dealt with in other 3d printing projects and it is not a safe way to go for something as critical as your brakes.

Drondon

May 25, 2019
California
Does anyone have a video on this planetary gear
Moving. I’m interested in seeing it function.
Maybe on a bike stand. Thanks in advance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles