I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

mccltd

Apr 5, 2019
kent
Hi @Ross1137, speeds are as follows:

For 20 mph bikes this will go to -> ~30 mph (a little less since you can't quite get to 20 mph in the first place)
For 25 kph bikes this would go to -> ~37.5 kph (people seem to report closer to 40 kph).

As for instructions, I do plan on writing more detailed ones once the LSS is out of 'beta' which should be very soon (just waiting for feedback on the latest iteration of the flex sun gear and cover). Please note this is a kit and requires you to source your own magnet and rotor bolts, so its a bit of a DIY.

Is the UK Bike restricted to 15mph when on the latest firmware?

Just Im running an older firmware and its derestricted but the bluetooth firmware has glitches in my tcu version.
So looking to have the firmware upgraded and your mod to remove the restriction again.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Is the UK Bike restricted to 15mph when on the latest firmware?

Just Im running an older firmware and its derestricted but the bluetooth firmware has glitches in my tcu version.
So looking to have the firmware upgraded and your mod to remove the restriction again.

I believe all 2019 Turbo Levos worldwide have eliminated any software hacks to de-restrict them with the latest firmware. So, yes, if you upgrade to the latest firmware you'll need something like my mod to have higher assist speeds.

mccltd

Apr 5, 2019
kent
I believe all 2019 Turbo Levos worldwide have eliminated any software hacks to de-restrict them with the latest firmware. So, yes, if you upgrade to the latest firmware you'll need something like my mod to have higher assist speeds.
Sorry, should have re worded my question.
What I meant was is a Levo UK bike restricted to 15mph or 20mph as I'm wandering what speed is achievable when your mod is done.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Thankyou, so would we get about 25mph with your mod?
Just its desisted at the moment on old firmware and due to its glitches in the software want to upgrade the software in the bike.

Yeah, around 25mph with the mod. From the feedback I've gotten that's plenty of assist speed. I have a USA spec bike with the mod but rarely ever go faster than 25mph anyway. At 25 and even with a slightly larger chainring up front the cadence is quite high.

Cryptwalk

Oct 3, 2018
Uk
Mine came today. Quicker than I expected, it’s here before the magnets. Hopefully get it fitted tomorrow.. Thanks for the video, helps. ??

No lubricant needed?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
@jd_3d could you please explain how the universal disc mount works, I want to fit one to a shimano ice tech 203mm rotor

thanks

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Probably easier to switch back to the sram rotors

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
@jd_3d could you please explain how the universal disc mount works, I want to fit one to a shimano ice tech 203mm rotor

thanks

Hi @ccrdave. The idea with the universal rotor mount is to use small zip ties or thin wire to secure the universal mount to the rotor. That is why it has the 25 slot holes around the perimeter to give you the best chance of lining the holes up with the features of your rotor. The mount has the same 'lip' on it as the regular clip which will grab the ring gear and hold it in place, so then you just need to secure the mount to the rotor.

I don't think anyone has purchased it yet, so its a bit experimental, would be interesting to see if it works well with your ice tech rotors.

Universal_Mount.png

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
does the battery let spesh know( or record) that the motor has been assisting way past the set limit ?

Hi @Matt71. The way the bike knows how fast it is going is based off the magnet/sensor, so once you install the LSS, the bike thinks it is going slower than it actually is. So it has no way to know that it is assisting beyond the set speed limit.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I wonder if there is some kind of battery or motor efficiency calculation recorded? You would think a heavier rider, in derestricted boost on peddally terrain would kill the battery pretty fast.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Mine arrived today. I already had the magnet and rotor bolts, so fitting was completely straight forward and took only a few minutes.

The system works beautifully. The dimensional tolerances are perfect. A snug fit onto the rotor and the axle. Brilliant!!!

Well done jd_3d you are a star!

Thanks @Decca! I love feedback like this (y)

FrenchLevo

May 9, 2019
France
Hi jd_3d,

I have a matt black 2017 levo turbo with a 2018 engine because the previous one was released.

I am interested in your system that I find very ingenious but it seems that it is not compatible with my version ...

Who managed to make it work with a 2017 levo?

Thank you ;-)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi jd_3d,

I have a matt black 2017 levo turbo with a 2018 engine because the previous one was released.

I am interested in your system that I find very ingenious but it seems that it is not compatible with my version ...

Who managed to make it work with a 2017 levo?

Thank you ;-)

Hi @FrenchLevo. I'm actually working on a version of the LSS for the 2017/2018 Levos. It is requiring a significant re-design to accommodate the different magnet location as well as tighter frame clearance. I hope to finish it soon (maybe today) and will post it here when I do. It will be a 'beta' version to start since I don't have a 2017/2018 Levo to test it on.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi @FrenchLevo and anyone else with a Levo 2017 or 2018. I finally finished the design of the LSS for the older models of the Levo. The main changes were to make the overall profile thinner so it clears the frame. At the same time I had to push the location of the magnet out by 4.5mm to line up with the different location of the sensor in the 2017s and 2018s. This means the diameter of this LSS is about 9mm larger. I really hope it clears the frame!

Please consider this a beta version since I don't have a 2017/2018 Levo to test-fit it on. I've priced it a little bit cheaper since its in beta. If anyone would like to test this out you can get one at the link below:

Beta - LSS Gear Set for Levo 2017/2018 by JD_3D on Shapeways

If you have a 2017/2018 Expert or S-Works model with a DT Swiss wheelset this won't fit (I'd have to make another version for that) so please let me know if anyone needs that combo.

Here's how it looks (cover hidden so you can see the inside):
2018_2017_LSS.png

kemp990

Oct 19, 2018
Seoul, South Korea
HI, JD I got your LSS and it worked perfectly delimiting the speed restriction, and I pretty much enjoyed.

However I headed out for single track ride today, and noticed 2019 Levo's walk assist has something to do with LSS.

Upon pushing W/A button it startrd working as normal, but within less than a sec, I can see assist power all diminishing...wheels are still spinning...but not enough to move the bike itself.

I would say if normal W/A power is 10...with LSS the power is somethinig like 1~2...

Tried several times, and if I push the bike and move fast and maybe faster pace Walk assist power remains same as it has to be.

But on a very steep section where I need the power of walk assist, it almost die out...and nothing I can do...but carry all that extra of ebike all on myself.

on stairs as same as above...if I move fast with my own power walk assist follows me with its original power.

but If I lean on the bike, and let it help me....the power diminishing within less than a second.

Hope you can help me out.
I ordered 4 more yesterday for my riding buddies, but they all want to cancel after watching me struggling on steep sections.

Regards
Kemp Jinyoung Park

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
HI, JD I got your LSS and it worked perfectly delimiting the speed restriction, and I pretty much enjoyed.

However I headed out for single track ride today, and noticed 2019 Levo's walk assist has something to do with LSS.

Upon pushing W/A button it startrd working as normal, but within less than a sec, I can see assist power all diminishing...wheels are still spinning...but not enough to move the bike itself.

I would say if normal W/A power is 10...with LSS the power is somethinig like 1~2...

Tried several times, and if I push the bike and move fast and maybe faster pace Walk assist power remains same as it has to be.

But on a very steep section where I need the power of walk assist, it almost die out...and nothing I can do...but carry all that extra of ebike all on myself.

on stairs as same as above...if I move fast with my own power walk assist follows me with its original power.

but If I lean on the bike, and let it help me....the power diminishing within less than a second.

Hope you can help me out.
I ordered 4 more yesterday for my riding buddies, but they all want to cancel after watching me struggling on steep sections.

Regards
Kemp Jinyoung Park

Hi @kemp990. Great to see some riders from over in Seoul (I spent a month there a few years ago, great city! but Jeju Island was my favorite).

I rarely use the walk assist button but when I do, it has always worked fine for me. However, I don't really lean on the bike so maybe that is why. Since it is night time here (11pm) and I'm leaving for the weekend I just tried my bike indoors really quickly. I found something that may help. When I used the lowest gears (i.e., the 40 or 42 tooth gears) and tried the walk assist button, and then restricted the wheel from rotating it seemed to go into a 'low-power' mode like you described. But if I went up a few gears to say a 20 tooth gear everything was great and consistent. I also just found out you can even change gears without pedaling if you use the walk assist button :)

Do you recall if you were in the 40 or 42 tooth sprocket when going uphill? If so, next time can you try changing gears to a mid-gear and see if things are normal?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles