I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I’m suspicious that the new MC is able to communicate with specialized servers when you use it together with your Levo no matter what year. Basically it can report all your local settings including serial numbers etc. that is based on what you can read about the new MC in the long text with very small letters and previous statements from Specialized here.

I have not even installed the new MC....

Karsten
Yes you could very well be right, i dont use the new version either, in fact I dont use the old version if i need to set the restriction back to where is should be i use blevo.
I think anyway if spesh can read that data they can tell if the bike has been hacked by mechanical means just as easy as if it were software hacked

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Yes you could very well be right, i dont use the new version either, in fact I dont use the old version if i need to set the restriction back to where is should be i use blevo.
I think anyway if spesh can read that data they can tell if the bike has been hacked by mechanical means just as easy as if it were software hacked
If they have access to your local data then you are right, they will have a clear pattern of your usage up against speed, distance, charge cycles etc. If you de restrict via software they can easily see the wheel circumference and one are doomed. If you on the other hand do it mechanical without using MC, they can only check the distance versus charge cycles and by law they have to prove that you have done something wrong, not the other way around. I can come up with 1000 excuses why my distance is so low, I’m very fat for example :ROFLMAO:

Anyway by law the speed limit in Denmark is 45 kmh so legally I can derestrict if I want to.

Karsten

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Unless they keep a log of when and at what speed the restriction is hit

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
All sounds a bit too complicated to me and for what! Spesh say new laws force them to add all anti derestrict palaver to the 2019 levo yet they continue to sell the kenevo and the levo hardtail which can be hacked with a simple Bluetooth editor.
Bit of a contradiction in complying with the “new laws”

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Specialized HQ.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Legally the responsibility is now on the manufacture rather than the user to restrict ability to tamper with the bike, hence why they are making it harder to do so.

Ironically I believe a number of well know Specilized brand ambassadors use bLEvo

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

Maybe slightly of topic, but to be honnest this "big brother is watching you" is one of the reasons I never use Mission Control. Once you install the app you are forced to give all kind of permissions about data sharing and if you refuse to do so, you simply can't use Specialized's own app. @khorn already made some comments about the legal aspect of "forcing customers to accept these terms and conditions"in earlier posts. I share his opinion and think exactly the same. I want to decide which data I share and with who. I don't want another company to make that decision for me.

For me it's just another good reason to use BLEvo only. ;)

Next generation TCU will have a GPS receiving feature:
TTHMI Specialized Turbo LEVO FSR bicycle with BLE and ANT Cover Letter Model declaration letter Dayton Industrial Co., Ltd.
TTHMI Specialized Turbo LEVO FSR bicycle with BLE and ANT ID Label/Location Info SBC-D04 Rating Label Dayton Industrial Co., Ltd.

So maybe Specialized wants to adapt speed based on local legislation? So automatically support stops when you reach a certain GPS speed?

Last edited:

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
JD,

Congrats on some great engineering its an amazing project you have undertaken.

Just ordered an LSS for my newly arriving 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. Can I assume this will be your version 2.0 ??

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
JD,

Congrats on some great engineering its an amazing project you have undertaken.

Just ordered an LSS for my newly arriving 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. Can I assume this will be your version 2.0 ??

Hi @breaky33, thanks for the order! You'll be getting the latest iteration of the LSS, but I'm not really calling it 2.0. The current versions of the LSS and LSS DT allow you to mix and match components as every piece is compatible with the others.

The big change of a 2.0 version would be for better compatibility for aftermarket rotors and for the smaller clearances of the S-Works model. But it would break backwards compatibility with the other components (due to being a lower-profile). So, the low-profile version is still a separate product that I recommend people only get if they are running aftermarket rotors or the S-Works model. There's no advantage of the 2.0 version if you are running a stock Carbon Comp model.

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
08800, Vilanova i la Geltrú
Hi @Sameroquay, nice bike! To answer your questions, no one I'm aware of has used the LSS on the 2018 Levo's, however, it is possible it may fit. The brake rotor looks identical so that should be fine. The only unknowns are as follows:

1) The magnet location is slightly different (a little bit further out by a few mm).
2) Not sure about the wheel hub size on 2018 vs 2019
3) Possible frame clearance issues

I don't know of anyone near me with a 2018 to test it. Do you know of anyone who has an LSS that you could test-fit on your bike? Or you could try to order one if you are willing to take a risk and hope it fits :)

Cheers,

JD

Hello, I have bought and assembled it and I confirm that it DOES NOT WORK.

1.- It's very big and it plays with my picture tube.
2.- Presses and is badly adjusted
3.- Even so, I managed to circulate a few kilometers and the battery DOES NOT ATTEND, the Ebike goes crazy and does not push, or does it only at times, momentarily, I think it's because the magnet is placed in a different place.

CONCLUSION: It does not work for the Turbo Levo 2018 model.

I attach some photographs

IMG_20190417_183548.jpg

IMG_20190417_195626.jpg

IMG_20190417_201029.jpg

IMG_20190417_201525.jpg

IMG_20190417_201924.jpg

IMG_20190417_203646.jpg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi @Sameroquay. I'm really sorry the LSS isn't working for the 2018 Levo, but if you are willing I can try and help you to get it working (even if it means I have to re-design it for the 2018). For now I see these main differences:

1) 2018 has less frame clearance than 2019. This can be fixed with my low-profile ring gear and planet gear
2) Different magnet location. Using your pictures, it seems the 2018 magnet is placed 4.5mm more outboard. Re-designing this would force the LSS to be even larger which could have new issues with frame clearance, but I might be able to get it close to 3-4mm more out.
3) Larger magnet size. It appears the 2018 uses a 12mm magnet, whereas the 2019s use a 10mm magnet. This could mean the sensor is only triggered by a larger magnetic field.

So, to isolate the issue, can you try and remove the dust cover, which should free up enough space so it doesn't rub on the frame. That should free up any binding. See if the planet gear is able to rotate freely when you spin the wheel. If it does, go for a ride and see if it works. If this works, then all you would need to do is get the low-profile ring gear and planet gear and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work I may need to re-design it to move the magnet more outboard.

My final question is what kind of magnet did you use in the LSS? Do you know if it was a neodymium rare-earth magnet? That is important to generate a strong enough magnetic field.

-JD

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
08800, Vilanova i la Geltrú
Hi @Sameroquay. I'm really sorry the LSS isn't working for the 2018 Levo, but if you are willing I can try and help you to get it working (even if it means I have to re-design it for the 2018). For now I see these main differences:

1) 2018 has less frame clearance than 2019. This can be fixed with my low-profile ring gear and planet gear
2) Different magnet location. Using your pictures, it seems the 2018 magnet is placed 4.5mm more outboard. Re-designing this would force the LSS to be even larger which could have new issues with frame clearance, but I might be able to get it close to 3-4mm more out.
3) Larger magnet size. It appears the 2018 uses a 12mm magnet, whereas the 2019s use a 10mm magnet. This could mean the sensor is only triggered by a larger magnetic field.

So, to isolate the issue, can you try and remove the dust cover, which should free up enough space so it doesn't rub on the frame. That should free up any binding. See if the planet gear is able to rotate freely when you spin the wheel. If it does, go for a ride and see if it works. If this works, then all you would need to do is get the low-profile ring gear and planet gear and you should be good to go. If it doesn't work I may need to re-design it to move the magnet more outboard.

My final question is what kind of magnet did you use in the LSS? Do you know if it was a neodymium rare-earth magnet? That is important to generate a strong enough magnetic field.

-JD

Thanks for the reply;

The magnet is the same one that is used in the 2019 TL, recommended by other colleagues who have bought it and it has worked for them.

This is the link:

I ask, and design just this longest piece?

photo_2019-04-19_00-21-04.jpg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Thanks for the reply;

The magnet is the same one that is used in the 2019 TL, recommended by other colleagues who have bought it and it has worked for them.

This is the link:

View attachment 13072

Thanks for the quick reply @Sameroquay. Yes, the magnet you are using is the correct kind. Would you be able to try it without the cover on as well to see if it works?

Regarding your last picture and question, I don't understand what you are asking. One thing to note is that the placement of the magnet does not affect the speed registered by the sensor. The sensor only cares about how often it is triggered during each rotation, and calculates speed based on wheel circumference.

If you could clarify what you are asking that would help, thanks!

tomiki

Mar 10, 2019
spain
[QUOTE = "Sameroquay, post: 67454, miembro: 3422"] Gracias por la respuesta;

El imán es el mismo que se usa en el TL 2019, recomendado por otros colegas que lo han comprado y ha funcionado para ellos.

Este es el enlace:

[MEDIA = amazon] id = B075FL7FVS; tld = es [/ MEDIA]

Pido, ¿y diseño solo esta pieza más larga?

View attachment 13072 [/CITAR]
Thanks for the reply;

This is the link:

View attachment 13072 [/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply;

This is the link:

View attachment 13072
I think that what he tries to teach in this photo is the circumference where the other magnet should pass

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Has anyone used the Lss with I9 Tourch hubs and Ice tech rotors?

Thanks...

Hi @Ddc6284, I recently created a universal rotor mount for people running different rotors, so that should cover the rotor. As for the I9 hubs, do you have any idea what the axle diameter is on the rear hub on the non-drive side? If you could measure that and let me know I could recommend either the LSS or LSS DT.

Cryptwalk

Oct 3, 2018
Uk
I’ve just bought one of these. Clever man, pricey but I get that.

Can some one please link me to a UK site for the magnet please. I don’t want to buy the wrong one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles